ASOIAF Fan Stress Level

Slynt

Hi all, just a question to all of you. With more and more news about HBO's pilot episode of Game of Thrones (I believe that's the title of the series, without the "A"?), I find myself thinking more and more - and more - about the series to the point that I am stressing about it. Who's gonna play Cersei? What sets will they build? How will they do the wolves? Why am I not an extra, or indeed, cast for the role as Janos Slynt or one of his sons? Etc.

I'd say on a scale from 1 - 10 my stress level is currently on 7 - 7,5. It will surely rise as more news appears, the actual shooting begins, oh man.

Subquestion:

What do you look more forward to? The pilot episode or A Dance with Dragons? Stupid question maybe, I guess everybody would like ADwD first and foremost, but the more I think about seeing the story filmed..

..no, dammit, ADwD first - before the series can change how I look at certain characters :)

This has surpassed my ADWD anxiety and my Sandman anxiety and my physics project anxiety combined.

I'm looking forward most to ADWD, but I would love to see the books on screen, especially as I think it's gonna be better than the books. I'm waiting to watch this with my friends.

I wouldn't say I'm stressed. I'm very excited, and getting more so with each new announcement. I'm about equal with interest for both at the moment - dying to find out what happens next, but excited to both see it in screen, and to finally be able to share it with friends and family who will watch the show, but probably wouldn't ever read the books.

I'd say the biggest negative feeling I have about it is irritation with some of the fans, to be honest.

Oh, way more stressed about AND excited for the release of ADWD for sure. I mean, I already know the plot twists and cliffhangers that'll be on the TV series. Unless new ones are made. It'll be cool to watch the wife's reaction though.

I'm excited about the show, but the only stress I have about it is that all our over-analysis and the hard work by the actual show team will go for naught if HBO decides it looks too expensive. Boardwalk Empire will also be expensive, but should be cheaper than GoT. And they already know they should get critical acclaim (Scorcese) and an audience. I'll be pissed though. I love a good Scorcese gangster flick, but really, aren't there enough? I'm sure it'll be good, but I'll feel "been there, done that."

I have high hopes though. Looking forward to the HBO "speculative fiction night" with the back-to-back True Blood and Game of Thrones block in fall 2010.

I'm not especially stressed about the series, i have confidence in the people involved and I'm taking it fairly easy for now. I am stressed about George's progress on the rest of the series, but thats another story.

It has proved to be a spectacularly effective distraction for my writing, which IS stressful, but ah well.

Agreed completely. I feel the same.

I also agree, but sadly I'm not surprised. Based on posts going back to the start of the HBO series discussion, you just knew there was going to be a meltdown from a (hopefully minority) portion of the fans.

I always enjoy waiting like this so I can't say I'm stressed about this at all. I'm just excited. And happy that I've found something new to me to be excited about. It's once its all over and you feel like the bubble has burst that I start stressing about finding something new to be excited about.

ADwD first - before the series can change how I look at certain characters :)

I agree with this. All too often once I've seen a movie/tv version of a book...and then when I reread the book in later years I find I'm forever stuck with the image of what the actor looked like for each character. I enjoy being able to imagine every character myself.

I wouldn't say I'm stressed. I'm very excited, and getting more so with each new announcement. I'm about equal with interest for both at the moment - dying to find out what happens next, but excited to both see it in screen, and to finally be able to share it with friends and family who will watch the show, but probably wouldn't ever read the books.

I'd say the biggest negative feeling I have about it is irritation with some of the fans, to be honest.

:D

I'm giddy about all of it myself, but I expect I might also be one of those irritants of yours. I just found this board the last few months and I know I am rehashing stuff you long time regulars are likely sick to death of.

I'm giddy about all of it myself, but I expect I might also be one of those irritants of yours. I just found this board the last few months and I know I am rehashing stuff you long time regulars are likely sick to death of.

Nah, that's not irritating--that's FUN! What's irritating are the trolls. But then, if we don't feed them they generally disappear pretty quickly. Wherever trolls go. :lol:

Iheartseverus has it right. I'll happily talk endlessly about the same old stuff over and over with new people - that's fun. What isn't fun is all the trolling and bashing that's going on.

You keep on rehashing all you want :)

I'm not stressed about the TV series at all. I know that it will never compare to the books, so I'm prepared to just enjoy it. ADWD release date has been raising my blood pressure though, and I frequently go on rants about it to anyone who will listen (and they are sick of my bitching!)

I am stressed the series will not be picked up. Funny thing is, I also dread watching an episode for the first time. Not meaning I think it will be a bad show, I KNOW it will rock, but I am just a very visual person and I fear that my mental images will be erased by TV scenes. I dread that characters I imagine as "something" will be changed and come across as "something else". I dread the some scenes I know will come up (I fully expect to find myself screaming at the screen "no, don´t do that, it will be your ruin").

Another thing I am excited is all the buzz. Just imagine being able to talk to friends and family about GOT and them knowing what you are talking about. Also, GRRM is allergic to fanfiction, so there is none to be found, so OK I fully respect that. But if the series are picked, I figure the ban will lift itself, sort of? Just looking forward to reading anything ASOIAF related while waiting for Books 6 and 7 :)

Archived