World Cup 2010 - South Africa is Coming

Renasko

And Norway will spring from nowhere to rob our spot? :stunned:

Yes. Both teams will play so horribly that after the two 0-0 ties, FIFA will have no choice but to step in and award the spot to Norway. :)

More seriously, does anyone know what happens if a pair of matches ends with ties of equal numbers of goals scored or victories at home with the same score (e.g. 1-1, 1-1 or 2-1, 1-2)? Given that there are 4 distinct contests, it seems such an outcome is fairly likely in at least one of them. Do they have a final winner-takes-all match?

Yes. Both teams will play so horribly that after the two 0-0 ties, FIFA will have no choice but to step in and award the spot to Norway. :)

More seriously, does anyone know what happens if a pair of matches ends with ties of equal numbers of goals scored or victories at home with the same score (e.g. 1-1, 1-1 or 2-1, 1-2)? Given that there are 4 distinct contests, it seems such an outcome is fairly likely in at least one of them. Do they have a final winner-takes-all match?

What? I don't quite understand you. But if you're saying what I think...

it goes to penalties if it's level.

And Gourcuff is unbelievable...he is pure class, but hopefully he won't play.

He is, and he probably won't Domenech has benched him more than once. It's the same with his desire to bench Benzema frequently.

Surely France will win against Ireland. But Ireland did do quite well against Italy, they might not be that bad and make it tough for Francais. But the abundance of quality on the side of the French should kill it convincingly.

Portugal might have a tougher match against Bosnia.

Russia to win. Greece vs Ukraine, I don't care who wins here but you'd thinkl it would be close.

Scratch that, I want Ukraine to win, because Greece was such a horrendous EC Champion. Anti-football.

He is, and he probably won't Domenech has benched him more than once. It's the same with his desire to bench Benzema frequently.

Uh ? Domenech launched Gourcuff and he has always made him play when he was available (he didn't play the last two games because of an injury).

As for Benzema, he has underachieved much with the national side. Add his recent declaration of "not being really motivated when he comes in" to that and it's no wonder that he wouldn't be trusted, especially with Gignac showing willingness and efficiency. And yet he made him play in the last two games.

Domenech led France to a World Cup finals after two failed competitions (2002 & 2004, the game against England notwithstanding), and he has gained much credit for that. And the players support him (except the ones he doesn't call, of course...).

Surely France will win against Ireland. But Ireland did do quite well against Italy, they might not be that bad and make it tough for Francais. But the abundance of quality on the side of the French should kill it convincingly.

We are not that bad. Well, we are, but we are lucky, and the quality of opposition hasn't affected us yet. We play exactly the same all the time.

Domenech led France to a World Cup finals after two failed competitions (2002 & 2004, the game against England notwithstanding), and he has gained much credit for that. And the players support him (except the ones he doesn't call, of course...).

Players nearly always publicly support their manager. Otherwise they will be dropped. So any such declarations mean nothing.

Besides, the success in 2006 justified keeping him on for Euro 2008. But the failure there?

Players nearly always publicly support their manager. Otherwise they will be dropped. So any such declarations mean nothing.

Besides, the success in 2006 justified keeping him on for Euro 2008. But the failure there?

Yeah for sure, but he's been defended by players like Henry, Ribery and Vieira even after Euro 2008, and I don't think that these players could be dropped by anyone (well... Vieira is, now, but at the time we still believed that he would recover eventually). He was the coach of many of them in french youth teams, and I think that they have a healthy relationship.

Nowadays he is mainly criticized by former 1998/2000 players, who tend to forget that they also were the ones responsible for 2002 and 2004...

As for 2008, I know that I am one of the few who will say that, but I really think that it was a close call (much more than in 2002/2004 where the teams were trainwrecks). The game against Romania was shit, but in my opinion the games versus Netherlands (yeah, even with that score) and Italy were lost on bad luck more than anything else.

But I would have understood if he had been sacked after the Euro. Now he hasn't been and he has rebuilt a team which plays with the strength of the players we have, and I'm glad for that. Now if our scorers were just a little bit more efficient, we could be a very interesting team again.

Yeah for sure, but he's been defended by players like Henry, Ribery and Vieira even after Euro 2008, and I don't think that these players could be dropped by anyone (well... Vieira is, now, but at the time we still believed that he would recover eventually). He was the coach of many of them in french youth teams, and I think that they have a healthy relationship.

I can't say for sure. Its weird though. Why have they again struggled to qualify if the players respect him? Something seems off.

The game against Romania was shit, but in my opinion the games versus Netherlands (yeah, even with that score) and Italy were lost on bad luck more than anything else.

You have a point. They lost Ribery in the Italy game. And then Abidal got sent off for a crazy tackle. While the Dutch were simply on fire.

Football can balance things out like that. They played woeful in thee WC (except for the 2nd half of their 3rd game) until they reached the knock out stages. And IIRC, the winner against Spain came from a free kick that shouldn't have been allowed.

• 3 weeks later...
Have they decided what to do if that happens? The rules you linked say "g) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.", but that doesn't seem very fair or very interesting. Is coming down to the equivalent of a coin toss or are they going to play some more?

A bit of an update. If Egypt win the match by two goals, a play-off match between Egypt and Algeria for the final spot will be played in Sudan. Apparently Egypt favoured Sudan, while Algeria favoured Tunisia. Earlier this week a draw at the FIFA HQ took place resulting in a Sudan venue.

An eventual play-off will take place next Wednesday (the 18th).

Archived