Historic Fiction

pfitz

I'm always on the look out for good Historical fiction and knowing that this board is populated by individuals of discernment and excellent taste I'd be happy to listen to any recommendations.

By the way I'm well aware of the work of authors like Bernard Cornwell, Colleen McCollough, Conn Iggulden, Simon Scarrow, Robert Low, Dorothy Dunnett so if we could take them as read I'm be grateful

:pimp:

edit: some others authors I forgot to add to the list above Steven Pressfield, George MacDonald Fraser, Walter Scott, Alexandre Dumas, Christian Jacq, Stephen Lawhead, David Gemmell. . . .

I always recommend this: Mika Waltari: The Egyptian is probably his best work (absolutely fantastic book) but his Michael duolgy ("Michael the Finn" and "Michael Hakim") is also great. The latter is more of a comedy. (although a fairly black one)

The first one deals with the life of an egyptian doctor in the reign of Akhenaton, the latter with the life and adventures of a finnish doctor (see a pattern? :P) in 16th century Europe.

Well, going oldschool, I put forth Rafael Sabatini. Scaramouche, Captain Blood, The Sea-Hawk, Bellarion the Fortunate, The Snare, and St. Martin's Summer (where the hero is nearly the exact opposite of the typical cunning Sabatini hero) are my particular favorites.

He was also a Cesare Borgia apologist, much as Josephine Tey was for Richard III. His biography of Borgia, and his stage play, The Tyrant, are great fun.

Allison Weir is a historian who has started sticking her toes into historical fiction. She wrote a pretty good novel about the Lady Jane Grey. She also has one on Elizabeth I that is supposed to be pretty good.

Just off the top of my head here are a few good ones by authors not on you already read list:

Gillian Bradshaw's Island of Ghosts is good.

Clavelle's Shogun is awesome.

Musashi by Yoshikawa is pretty good.

The Name of the Rose by Eco is an excellent book.

I always recommend The Walking Drum as a great lighter adventure by America's foremost western story teller Louis L'Amour.

The Killer Angels - Shaara

And his son's works on the American Revolution: "Rise to Rebellion" and "A Glorious Cause". *nods* He's also published works on WWII about D-Day and the aftermath. Quite good also.

I'm always on the look out for good Historical fiction and knowing that this board is populated by individuals of discernment and excellent taste I'd be happy to listen to any recommendations.

By the way I'm well aware of the work of authors like Bernard Cornwell, Colleen McCollough, Conn Iggulden, Simon Scarrow, Robert Low, Dorothy Dunnett so if we could take them as read I'm be grateful

:pimp:

Wallace Breem's Eagle in the Snow is pretty good.

HN Turtletaub (Turtledove pseudo) RHodian trader sereis that starts with Over the Wine Dark Sea

There are two good Roman mystery series; John Maddox Roberts SPQR and Steven Saylor's Gordinius the Finder. Saylor also wrote Roma

I'll second The Walking Drum. Sadly it was book one of a series never continued.

If you like the Enlightenment period of the Baroque Cycle, as well as international travel, culture clashes and the rise of science! I would also recommend

Instance of the Fingerpost - Iain Pears

Sea of Poppies - Amitav Ghosh

and the recent

Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet - David Mitchell

Well, going oldschool, I put forth Rafael Sabatini. Scaramouche, Captain Blood, The Sea-Hawk, Bellarion the Fortunate, The Snare, and St. Martin's Summer (where the hero is nearly the exact opposite of the typical cunning Sabatini hero) are my particular favorites.

He was also a Cesare Borgia apologist, much as Josephine Tey was for Richard III. His biography of Borgia, and his stage play, The Tyrant, are great fun.

I've been reading Captain Blood since its one of many books you can upload free onto eReaders given they're out of copyright and what I found must surprising about it was how modern it seemed in its style. Captain Blood himself and way he is written was very reminiscent of Lymond by Dunnet, a hero written far more recently. Indeed some of Blood's sarcastic wit would fit pretty well into any one of a number of modern fantasy books.

Compared to many books written at the same time it really seems far less archaic in language and style.

I've been reading Captain Blood since its one of many books you can upload free onto eReaders given they're out of copyright and what I found must surprising about it was how modern it seemed in its style. Captain Blood himself and way he is written was very reminiscent of Lymond by Dunnet, a hero written far more recently. Indeed some of Blood's sarcastic wit would fit pretty well into any one of a number of modern fantasy books.

Compared to many books written at the same time it really seems far less archaic in language and style.

Actually, when I was at a signing for Mrs. Dunnett in Nottingham, lo these many moons ago (it was when To Lie With Lions came out--I was happily in London at the time for World Fantasy and sacrified half a day of the con to take the train out to Nottingham and back), she did mention that Sabatini was an influence on her. Read Bellarion the Fortunate and you'll see more than a little resemblance to Nicholas and Lymond. Unfortunately, that's not one of the public domain titles.

When I read The Seahawk one thing I liked is how it felt like it was written a while ago, but was still very engaging. One small disappointment is how a lot of action that occurred did not take center stage, but it was still a good book.

Archived