New Exercise and Fitness Thread

cjfshaw

This week's gonna blow. I'm moving from my college house back to my house house. I've gotta deal with the realtor, security deposit shit, cancelling/transferring utility accounts, and, oh yeah, moving.

I think I'm gong to do a powerlifting competition on 6 November over in Mesa. I'm feeling good about my deadlift and potential to up my squat, though my bench press remains an issue, especially after today's workout with B. where he showed me the difference between a "competition" bench press versus what people do in the gym. "Powerlifting competitions are won or lost on deadlift and squat" he told me, so at least there's that.

So this gives me two whole months to train and save up for the entry fee.

Goals are thus:

-- body weight of 176 by weigh in (ten pounds under where I am now)

-- squat of 330 (40 pounds more than right now) B. agreed with me that given what I'm deadlifting, my squat should be higher, and will be working with me to figure out what's up.

-- deadlift of 465 (30 pounds more than now)

-- competition bench of 260 (10 pounds more than my non-competition best to date)

that should be good enough for a respectable showing in the non-roid, unequipped, "open" class. Luckily with the new work schedule, I have a lot more time to train. I'm going to put in a good, hard month; see where I'm at, and then make a final decision whether or not I want to enter the comp.

Back to working out now that I'm home sitting my ass again... Guess I'll just start up with the 3X a week bit to begin with. My weight is fine so I just need to lift since I'm not carrying cases of beer around anymore...

I just spent the last four-five hours moving everything we own from the moving van to the third floor apartment (no elevators). After the first hour or two, we realized there was absolutely no way we would be able to get the sleeper sofa up those stairs ourselves and called movers. After another hour, the movers actually showed up and the rate at which stuff got upstairs increased dramatically.

My entire body is exhausted and cramping. I'm calling this both a cardio and strength day, and a trial by fire for how I'll adjust to high altitudes. Maybe some light swimming (read, walking in water and floating) tonight. Now that we're moved, I'm going to get myself on a schedule and really start getting back into working out.

That is a good choice, not getting juiced. You don't need it.

I respect other people's choices to do what they want to their bodies...but it would scare the shit out of me, injecting something that's not legal, not doctor-approved, etc. I imagine it's the equivalent of getting Botox done at some party in someone's living room (which isn't safe to begin with, and sometimes it's not medical-grade Botox, but diluted industrial grade Botulism). Or worse, you've probably heard about the immigrant women who see unlicensed "plastic surgeons" (who are really med school dropouts, etc). Run away! Run away fast!!!

It is legal in the UK :)

Ztem the weight classes are 165,181 and 198 so why do you want to weigh 176?

It is legal in the UK :)

Ztem the weight classes are 165,181 and 198 so why do you want to weigh 176?

actually wondering if you could shed some light on that. B. told me basically that if I was going to be at the top end of the weight class that I had better do really well in it. Failing that, it's all about coefficient, so if I lifted the same and had a higher coefficient, (lower bodyweight to higher amount lifted) I'd have a chance of doing better overall. I didn't understand it fully.

Sub question I need to decide is whether to compete in the old man division or the open class with all the kiddos.

I'm feeling kind of crap today, but I have the day off and am still feeling jazzed about the competition, so deadlift day it is. Items B gave me to work on are stiff legged deadlifts, speed deadlifts, and rack pulls.

by the by, wanted to post an anecdote about strength versus strength. The other day I finally did a class at the McGym. I was tired and sore from squats day the day before, so I wanted something easy and light. Long story short, the "bodyworks plus abs" class beat me up like I owed it money. There I was in room full of leotarded women who were all smiling and bouncy, and I was pouring lakes and rivers of sweat just trying to lift the 5 pound weights over and over. I'm sure not one of my classmates could squat 200 pounds, but holy crap were they in better shape than me as far as bouncing to the beat.

actually wondering if you could shed some light on that. B. told me basically that if I was going to be at the top end of the weight class that I had better do really well in it. Failing that, it's all about coefficient, so if I lifted the same and had a higher coefficient, (lower bodyweight to higher amount lifted) I'd have a chance of doing better overall. I didn't understand it fully.

Sub question I need to decide is whether to compete in the old man division or the open class with all the kiddos.

I'm feeling kind of crap today, but I have the day off and am still feeling jazzed about the competition, so deadlift day it is. Items B gave me to work on are stiff legged deadlifts, speed deadlifts, and rack pulls.

This is just my option so take it for what is worth. Your first competition I would just weigh whatever you weigh. My first comp I just let the chips fall and weighed 212lbs so was in the 220lbs class. Just my opinion but you aren't going to be winning any top competitions so just go in there try and hit some PR's and have fun :)

I would go open personally.

If it's legal in the UK, and you're seeing a good doctor who won't let you do anything harmful - go for it. ;) If you want to. You certainly don't need to, Luke! You could always post another pic...just to remind us that BMI isn't always a good estimate of obese for muscular men. In fact, I encourage you to do that...we need an update :)

If I can figure out how to post a pic, I will, I promise, ok? My biceps and triceps are MUCH improved vs. my wedding photos (which freaked me out a little in some angles, because I could tell I needed to work on my arms).

I won't be using until I have finished uni, got a good job, settled etc if ever!

I have actually lost around 30lbs and am weighing 197 at the moment :)

How do you not know how to post a pic :P

Tomorrow will be the last run of Week 4 of my Couch to 5K program. I run M,W,F and have started a non-weight exercise program on T,Th of push-ups, crunches and variation from non-weight program. Tummy is already looking tighter, which is my primary short-term goal.

31 mins sounds awesome Chats.

My brothers were in town this weekend and we went for a run this a.m. Youngest is 31, I'm almost 39 and oldest is 43. The youngest still had a bit more pep but overall it was a good run. And it was great to spend time with them. Makes me wish I had a regular running partner

I came in second in my Boot Camp class for our 5k run. I was 1 minute behind the 1st place winner.

My time was 31 minutes. I initially felt like shit after I googled 5k run times, and found that people were running this in 18 minutes or so, but doing some further reading, they were high school athletes on a level paved track.

Our outside track at the Y is not level or paved (it's gravel, and it does have natural features, like a couple of sloping hills). I'm also 35 years old, not 17...so on the whole, I feel pretty good.

Darling's time was 38 minutes, but he doesn't have full lung capacity because of those 15 years of cigarette smoking (the lung capacity thing was discovered at a routine physical).

Nice work! That's roughly 10 minutes per mile, more or less. How was your stomach? How did you feel afterward?

Over 11 years ago, my PR in high school was 17:30, but I also weighed about 150 lbs instead of my now-29-year old 200 lbs. For a guy, I wasn't too bad. In Michigan, all high school autumn 5k's were outdoors, on hills and grass, in parks, etc. The amount of hills could really make a difference on your time. The state champs were actually getting down into the low 16's, even 15 minutes. Those guys were machines.

In other news, I ran 16 miles on Saturday. Averaged 10:37 per mile. Probably was a little too fast in the middle miles. Had to walk/run over the last two miles, but was able to still average a decent time.

Link

Next Saturday I'm running 18 miles. Should be interesting to see how that goes. Than 14 miles the week after (rest week) then the big 20 the week after that.

Then its just three weeks of beautiful tapering until Chicago marathon. (I fucking love the taper) :thumbsup:

good squats day yesterday, though more in the learning mode than work mode. I was trying to get B. to diagnose why there's such a big differential between what I can squat versus what I deadlift. He was inconclusive except to say I could work on my form a little. I set a PR, but not as much as I wanted.

One thing we did that was kind of cool was box squats with chains on the bar. The box was set to 11 inches (talk about ass to grass!) and the chains were just brushing the ground as the bar was racked. I was doing sets of 2, adding weight each time. I broke off to grab my camera to take a picture of this bar + weights + chains contraption, and being the dirty cheater he is, B. added 10 pounds without telling me. Without that amount of weight in my head, I was successful in lifting it. Other thing that is a big positive is that in the dungeon gym, there's always a bunch of guys around to shout at you to GO! GO! GO! GET THERE!!!

I'm still planning on Nov 6th for the competition, which means taking the month of September to work on dropping 10 pounds or so, and then October just to work on pure one rep strength. It's good to have a goal. :)

I felt great! My stomach and legs were both ok. Honestly, what hurt were my lungs. Maybe due to the hot, humid air (even at 6:30 am) of an Atlanta August. I'm going to try a 10K in November and see what that feels like.

Good luck on the Chicago marathon!!!

Humidity is a real killer. I've nearly blacked out on some of my longer runs and that was in Chicago summer. I can't imagine Atlanta.

Good luck with your 10K. Those can be really fun.

Archived