Belfast Minimoot 1

Qthulhu

I'm flexible. Does the following Thursday (9th December) suit everyone better?

Silverjaime, do you want to contact the "maybes" just in case they've lost interest in this thread?

(The price of contributing a good idea, haha, :laugh: )

No probs - I'll see who I can catch....

Mead is quite nice, but it's hard to get "true" mead.

I'm sourcing a few suppliers but at the moment it's looking like a Scottish mead variety which, although not a "traditional" mead, comes highly recommended.

There's a 'local' brewery in the Mournes does a very nice Honey-based brew .... one of the sort of brews that CAMRA love ..... think they only sell it to people with beards and knitted jumpers - it's THAT authentic

It's on my list of things to attempt to make someday, but it's a pretty long list, and the result could well be the worlds first honey-based weedkiller rather than anything drinkable... but if Qthulhu sorts some half decent mead for the moot then I'll at least know how badly I've fared when my own attempt goes awry :)

There's a 'local' brewery in the Mournes does a very nice Honey-based brew .... one of the sort of brews that CAMRA love ..... think they only sell it to people with beards and knitted jumpers - it's THAT authentic

If its in the mournes then its pretty local to me - do hit me up with the name of it el'gigante

I'd never heard of CAMRA before, but a quick google has me interested already - speaking of ales, I'd recommend the stuff made by the Strangford Lough Brewing Company (http://www.slbc.ie/), particularly Barelegs Brew and Legbiter - the site is a little touristy, but a quick taste of the brew and the history its inspired by lets you get past that aspect!

... and I have the necessary knitted jumpers too!

Speaking of which, aside from the Boar & Mead theme to the Mootlet/miniMoot, would a "Christmas Jumper" theme push things a little to far? Anyone else brave enough to 'don their festive finest?

It's on my list of things to attempt to make someday, but it's a pretty long list, and the result could well be the worlds first honey-based weedkiller rather than anything drinkable... but if Qthulhu sorts some half decent mead for the moot then I'll at least know how badly I've fared when my own attempt goes awry :)

Same here Morchaint, always liked the idea of mead and the older I get the more intrigued I get with the brewing process and the idea of my own home brew... if nothing else then the Moot will be a good place to share any knowledge on the stuff and perhaps set us well on the road to ticking an item off that list and who knows what else... Moot-brew?!?

Silverjaime had mentioned pin/button badges earlier - if no one else has stepped up yet? I think I'd be interested in getting the ball rolling in this area... although ideas and opionions on imagery & text is welcome!

Moot-brew sounds like an amazing idea. Actually have a few mead recipes back here, and one somewhere for what purports to be something similar to the old heather ale, which might also be worth a try...

Not quite pins, but I think Qthulhu has something in mind there, aye.

Speaking of which, aside from the Boar & Mead theme to the Mootlet/miniMoot, would a "Christmas Jumper" theme push things a little to far? Anyone else brave enough to 'don their festive finest?

Silverjaime had mentioned pin/button badges earlier - if no one else has stepped up yet? I think I'd be interested in getting the ball rolling in this area... although ideas and opionions on imagery & text is welcome!

Well I have Xmas ear-rings if that counts......

And as for the badge - Xmas in Winterfell? Snow and a castle? A red-nosed direwolf?......???

Well I have Xmas ear-rings if that counts......

And as for the badge - Xmas in Winterfell? Snow and a castle? A red-nosed direwolf?......???

lol

Only just seen this thread, I should be up for making an appearnace at some point. We have a number of deadlines coming thick and fast in the build up to Christmas, so that may throw a slight spanner in the works. Not sure how those will pan out, so best thing is to go ahead with any date, and I'll try and fit in as best I can.

Great idea :)

Martin

Oh - one other thing while I remember. I seem to recall someone at the Moot mentioning that GRRM was due at Easons shortly for another book signing session. Obviously he's back home for the moment, just wondering when this was due to be - checked the Eason's Site and they make no mention of it.

Of course, it may be a case of ale-head going on with me and I dreamt it all.

Martin

Oh - one other thing while I remember. I seem to recall someone at the Moot mentioning that GRRM was due at Easons shortly for another book signing session. Obviously he's back home for the moment, just wondering when this was due to be - checked the Eason's Site and they make no mention of it.

Of course, it may be a case of ale-head going on with me and I dreamt it all.

Martin

I'll take the blame for that - I was convinced he had a book signing coming up. I think perhaps I got it from the Octocon website, and the only mention there is actually a post from October last year referring to 2010's guest of honour. The moral of the story is, read the timestamp before getting everyone excited.

: (

I'll take the blame for that - I was convinced he had a book signing coming up. I think perhaps I got it from the Octocon website, and the only mention there is actually a post from October last year referring to 2010's guest of honour. The moral of the story is, read the timestamp before getting everyone excited.

: (

No worries - was just concerned that I was missing an important date somewhere.

Anyways, you can put me down for a definite maybe for the mini-moot - will do all I can to get there.

Martin

Im game for the 9th folks! but i think me and the bro ezeqiel need to book off the friday AM from work as last time was rough going .....idea for pins..... Castleblack with The Wall behind......or Ser Waymar Royce facing the The Others with snow linned background....classical early scene.... :)

For The Vale !

Could be an idea for the Belfast chapter of BwB to have a Giant as their sigil as in Giant's Causeway? Sorry if it's cringe making, I'm speaking as a tourist ;)

Also doesn't have the Xmas theme either. Running with Silverjaime's red nose option, how about turning the Baratheon stag into Rudolf?

What can I say, it's Friday afternoon and I've lost my mojo! :huh:

Yes, the tent does get INSANELY busy. The market shuts around 10 (actually 10, but I dare say we'll be evicted from the tent earlier), and as it's a weekday there may not be too many people wanting to stay out "proper late".. although as I've said earlier, there's plenty of places nearby to try and break into.

4.30 sounds good for the early guard, would 6.30 be too early for "everyone else"?

Yes, the tent does get INSANELY busy. The market shuts around 10 (actually 10, but I dare say we'll be evicted from the tent earlier), and as it's a weekday there may not be too many people wanting to stay out "proper late".. although as I've said earlier, there's plenty of places nearby to try and break into.

4.30 sounds good for the early guard, would 6.30 be too early for "everyone else"?

Sounds good! I'll try to be early but def be there by 6.30.

Archived