Garlan Tyrell, too good to be true?

Kat

• 2 months later...

Plus, there was a war on and all. Probably not a good time for everyone to be flocking off to weddings. Every Tyrell that went to KL had a specific purpose other than being festive - Margaery went because she was getting married, Loras because he was joining the KG and Margaery needed a bodyguard, Olenna was there to help keep the Tyrells on top through scheming, Mace was there as the 'leader' of Tyrell forces. Garlan, I can't quite put my finger on. No one would really wonder why he was there, because... its his sister's wedding, but I never got a clear idea of what exactly he spent his time doing when he wasn't making polite table talk or sparring with multiple training partners.

Didn't the Tyrells come up at the last moment at Blackwater? Garlan and Loras were part of the Tyrell forces and Garlan, the sneaky bastard that he was, wore Renly's armor. I'm assuming that both as well as Mace Tyrell stayed up in King's Landing and that the women were sent for. Willas wasn't involved in the battle due to his bad leg. He probably stayed in Highgarden to govern the Reach. He's probably basically Lord of the Reach - you know Mace wasn't doing any of the governing because he is really dense.

As for Garlan and the Tyrell boys, they seem like perfectly nice, sweet politically astute children just like Margaery. I guess that Nana Olenna must have done most of the child rearing for her grandchildren because they turned out well. (She was probably determined not to have them turn out to be idiots like Mace).

Maybe I'm naive, but I figured that he genuinely liked Tyrion, maybe because he was fat as a kid and thus had a similar if lesser "outcast" status (see Tarly, Samwell).

However, I also figured that he was in on poisoning Joff, and that the plan was to frame Oberyn Martell in revenge for what he did to Willas.

Unfortunately, when Cersei immediately accused Tyrion, Garlan had to run with that.

On the other hand, he did impersonate Renly at Littlefinger's suggestion, and anyone who does Littlefinger's work is probably up to no good.

• 2 months later...

Ehhh who cares if he poisoned Joff?

I see it as taking one for the team. If that's the worst thing Garlan Tyrell has ever done, than he's pretty good for westeros standards.

damn. i always thought he was underrated...didn't know this thread existed hehe

Garlan Tyrell is the Tyrell version of Ser Kevan Lannister. The loyal younger brother who helps his older brother run the family business. Since he is not the one making the decisions, he is fairly uninteresting.

• 11 months later...

Garlan is one of those knights that seem to be out of the songs that Sansa loves so much, I genuinely hope he is just a perfect.. I'll admit I think he did kill Joffrey, but only to protect his sister, where everyone thought that it would have to be Loras who would protect his sister. Olenna and Garlan will have planned it, and Olenna is first of all too tall to slip the poison in to the drink and also Garlan will be MUCH faster with his sword hand and the precision of putting it into the cup. Otherwise I think Garlan is just the kind of knight that really are from the past because he is so talented just like Arthur Dayne, Prince Aemon the Dragonknight etc. I am a HUGE Garlan fan, even though he's hardly ever mentioned!

I don't think it's so absurd that Willas stays in Highgarden because when Ned travels to Kings Landing he leaves Bran and Rickon there to make sure that there is always a Stark in Winterfell, maybe it's just the fact that the Tyrell's don't want a castellan controlling all of the reach.

I think Willas doesn't leave the reach because mace is gone, doing multiple things through the series and he is the one who is running highgarden/ the reach. someone needs to be in charge while he the other family memebers are off doing whatever. also its implied he is more capable than mace so this seems like a good spot for him.

Willas being dead and the Tyrells maintaining the illusion that he's still alive is the best idea to come out of this thread, because it would mean when Willas does eventually show up as GRRM has promised, he'd be getting propped up Weekend At Bernie's style.

Further Willas crackpottery (even though this is supposed to be a Garlan-centric thread): Why ISN'T he married? Jousting Career-Ending Injury aside, he should still be one of the best matches in the kingdom, being the heir to the Tyrell fortune (2nd richest family in Westeros behind only the Lannisters) and the Highgarden Seat. As such he's a Top 10/Top 5 eligible bachelor. Yet all his younger siblings are settled first? That's weird... unless he's secretly promised to somebody else. Was he secretly promised to Dany in the same way Arianne Martell was promised to Viserys? Are the Tyrells still secret Targaryen Loyalists just like the Martells are? Are those Willas/Oberyn letters (and boy would I like to read those) a hint that the two familys are Working Togther? Deliberately leaving their rank and file out of the loop, letting them continue the traditional antagonism as a smokescreen for what's really going on at the top?

Looking back on the wedding scene, it seems to me like Garlan was acting the part of a stone-cold player setting up that assasination and frame-job. Just look at it, he spends most of the feast building up Tyrion, giving him validation and building up his ego to the point of, in Tyrion's own thoughts, he was absurdly greatful.

The man's smoother than butter. He was probably the poisoner too, and certainly knew about it considering he spent the whole night building Tyrion up to take shots at Joffrey, and thus become the prime suspect the instant he dropped dead. He's also now one of the most powerful lords in the Reach, and demonstrates veteran qualities in battle, when he played the part of Renly's ghost and kicked some major ass, and even practicality in his training regime, focusing on multiple opponents in hectic situations rather than 'honorable' duels.

Even Loras admits he's better with a sword, and that kid is pretty confident in himself. If it weren't for the fact that Olenna's around, I'd say he's the most dangerous of the Tyrells that we know of. As is, Willas and Margery could have a lot of 'behind the scenes' deadliness too.

I thought it a given that Margaery was the one to put in the poison. As they shared their chalice, it simply seemed easiest for her to slip it in, and also the safest way to make sure Joffrey was the only one to drink once the poison was there. Guess I jumped to conclusions on that point.

Archived