Asha Greyjoy

Lady of payne

That's always been my impression as well. She comes across completely as a female version of Balon and seems to have lost all the teasing and tormenting nature of the relationship with Theon. She also comes across as vicious and spiteful but I never got that impression of her in the books, only that she was pissed off with Theon thinking he could just walk back into Pyke and become the Heir again.

Here's a funny thing I just watched an interview with Gemma on Thronecast (some of these get mentioned on this forum , some seem not to, am I missing the notices?)(anyway you can Google it).

Gemma is not as glam as some actresses on the show, but she's really is good looking, and one can tell she is a good actress.

Why her character is being constructed the way it is and directed the way it is, is now a mystery to me.

I hope they turn her loose later.

I dont blame her.

This is one of the few exceptions to medievil rules where a woman must take priority over her brother

No I don't either, the point I was making is that was the impression I got of her from the books, that she was strong and well respected and had a cheerful teasing nature not that she was dour, which is how she comes across in the show. As an aside I think Gemma Whelan is a very attractive woman so I'm surprised they didn't actually use that attractiveness.

I'm not a fan of her. I've watched the first three episodes and the impression I have is that there's something missing in Yara. Charisma, Yara seems so apathetic. Like when Balon told her she'd go to Deepwood Motte and she says "I've always wanted a castle." It sounded fake and scripted, it didn't look like she wanted a castle at all... I also don't like how she looks like a shadow/sidekick of Balon. She should look more independent. Those are my main issues with her, I'm past the name and appearance...

Here's a funny thing I just watched an interview with Gemma on Thronecast (some of these get mentioned on this forum , some seem not to, am I missing the notices?)(anyway you can Google it).

Gemma is not as glam as some actresses on the show, but she's really is good looking, and one can tell she is a good actress.

Why her character is being constructed the way it is and directed the way it is, is now a mystery to me.

I hope they turn her loose later.

I just watched it at your suggestion, and the last five seconds she has the wry smile I envisioned Asha having. And her demeanor in real life is like Asha's. She tells the story of her mischevious ways during childhood: she'd keep poking her brother until he hit her and then she'd tell on him for hitting her.

All that said, it seems quite obvious that it is the show's director/producers that are holding her back.

• 1 year later...

When I went back and watched the second season a little while back, I actually warmed to Yara a little bit more than I did the first time around. She's still not Asha from the books, but there's some subtleties that Gemma pulls out every now and then that I think to myself "Yes, keep doing that! But more often!".

To be fair, we haven't really had the chance to see her shine just yet. I'm betting we'll be seeing much more of her in Season 4, so hopefully there will be improvements.

EDIT: And I agree with some posters that Gemma is an attractive woman, even if not conventionally pretty. Drop the dour act and bring in some charisma, and it will make a world of difference.

Archived