[BOOK SPOILER] About Robb....

MMOWarrior

I just started Storm of Swords, but I fully know about the Red Wedding and what happens to Rob..

Does anyone else have a hard time every time he's on screen? I just almost come to tears every time I see his char and they have such a perfect and beautiful actor for him! all I see is his body with grey wolfs head.. I just can't get it out of my head.. it makes me so sad and so furious!!

Aww..... *hug*

It is indeed very upsetting. I cried my eyes out and threw the book the first time I read it. It wasn't so much that I was attached to Robb, as even though I liked his character, he hadn't been a PoV so I could have been 'ok' if it was just him who died. However, SOOO many Northerners die at the Red Wedding that it was just tragic for me (a fan of all things Northerly).

One thing I did not expect, therefore, is that yes, I am already getting a bit choked up, especially Robb's latest scenes in "The Pointy End". I am already finding that watching the Robb and Cat storyline on screen is going to be even more difficult later on than even reading the books....we're going to have to WATCH it happen. :crying:

I haven't read it yet, so maybe I'm missing something.. but that much destruction, death and pain for not marrying a Frey... really!

and in the HBO series they cast Robb so perfectly.. I'm not sure of his name but I can't imagine a much better actor for the part.. Robb has so much grace combined with such strength, he's the best of what a leader/King should be.. on top of so many other Northern/Stark losses its just so devastating..

I'm already wondering how HBO will handle the Red Wedding.. I honestly hope it isn't to graphic, and I don't think it really needs to be..

On the contrary, I hope it is VERY graphic. Not because I like gorey murder, but because I think it will have a stronger emotional impact on the TV audience. I can remember exactly how I felt when I read the Red Wedding - it was honestly the most shocked I've been in any fictional medium (books, TV, etc). I had already loved ASOIAF before that, but this sad scene forever engraved ASOIAF in my mind as the premier fantasy series.

Imagine if they just killed off Robb off-screen instead of showing the Red Wedding. Now, that's an exaggerated extreme, but I think you get the picture that it would have a weak emotional 'umph' to the very important scene.

some of the most emotional scenes on screen leave it for your imagination to fill in.. Psycho for instance never showed more than blood going down a drain, yet is a scene that will forever have an impact on the movies..

sometimes a suggestion opens up more horror in the mind than a picture ever could..

MMO Warrior: I am sorry you had the Red Wedding spoiled for you. I do think once you read the scene itself you might change your mind whether it should be shown or not. Its an extremely powerful scene....I too think it would be a pity not to shown the rivers of blood, tragic though it may be...

I think you're confusing "emotional" for "frightening" or "shocking." They might be able to do something very heart tugging while showing us the violence. However I'm not sure what I want them to do with that but... Yeah. I want it to be handled well. That's all I ask. For it to be as powerful as it was for me when I read it the first time.

Personally? I have a hard time whenever I reread the series whenever Robb is being talked about. When Sansa tells Joffery her brother is going to kill him, or when she thinks it. When anyone thinks "Robb will do it!" or anything. And when people gather around him... It's hard. :(

I just started Storm of Swords, but I fully know about the Red Wedding and what happens to Rob..

Does anyone else have a hard time every time he's on screen? I just almost come to tears every time I see his char and they have such a perfect and beautiful actor for him! all I see is his body with grey wolfs head.. I just can't get it out of my head.. it makes me so sad and so furious!!

Ahhh, man, you already know about the Red Wedding?!?! That really sucks! I remember hurling my book across the room when I read that scene and cursing GRRM to the heavens! Yeah I'd have to say I'd be pretty disappointed if the showrunners didn't go all out in recreating it word for word, it's such a landmark event in the books, and if it gave the readers the same visceral reaction I had, then the viewers have to feel that too. The actor playing Robb is sooo awesome I did get a little choked up thinking about his demise, especially in his last scene on the "pointy end". He truly is his father's son!

The Red Wedding has the potential to be as epic as the infamous Goodfellas scene with the haunting melody of the piano section of Layla playing along. Assuming we get a Season 3, it's going to be a truly water-cooler event. I don't think I've ever read anything that made me sadder, angrier, and as frustrated as that scene. George himself couldn't write it until he'd written the rest of Book 3 and then he had to force himself to go back and write it. Powerful stuff indeed.

And we'll finally know once and for all whether the guy that stabbed him through the heart was really Bolton, I'm still not sure of that :P

Of course it was. Wasn't he described as wearing pink? And he sent Robb Jaime Lannister's regards.

As for the seeing Robb on the show, I have always liked Robb as a character in the books, but seeing him on screen makes me root for him and like him even more than ever before. As much as I dread reading the Red Wedding on rereads it still is absolutely crucial to the story. I think it should be as painful on the show as it is in the books, and it certainly is going to be horrible to see and experience, but that is how it needs to be. Seeing Robb's story unfold on screen makes it feel so much more tragic, and I do cringe slightly with certain scenes, like his goodbye to Jon or when finally takes the role of the leader of his army, but I also cringe reading certain scenes in the books just because I know what is going to happen to him down the road. But I think the scene has the potential to be the greatest (and most tragic) scene in the show if it is done right.

Much will depend on the director's choices - can't wait to see how they do it, to be honest, I can imagine several options... I'm also curious whether if they get to Season 3 GRRM will be the writer for that episode, or if they'll assign him to a different section of the story. *crossing fingers for Season 3!*

Now, I'm a big chap. Skinhead, I work out, I drink beer. I'm rated M for Manly.

But I will be blubbing my eyes out, no matter how badly they do it (though I am confident in them). The Red Wedding is the shattering of so many hopes for the reader, the butchering and imprisonment of an entire book's worth of classic characters and the entire scene hits, like many people have said, incredibly hard. I was sceptical if Richard Madden could make me give a damn about Robb, and Episode 8 has convinced me he can. He has that look in his eyes when he confronts Greatjon over the vanguard - that lupine savagery that I don't think 'The Young Wolf' possessed in the books, but Richard Madden NEEDS to have because, let's face it, the show Robb is a man in size, just not a warrior in experience.

I think the book Robb and the show Robb are two subtlety different characters, in that the book has a fourteen year old boy. In the setting, he's considered a man, but just barely, literally only by virtue of going through puberty is he even elligible to lead the Northern Host. In the show, he's eighteen, I believe, he looks twenty, he has a beard, he's a killer. He has that untested ferocity that you associate with the North. Richard Madden has given the character the required change.

Hence why, when the Red Wedding comes along, I'll be weeping for both Robb Stark of The Books, and Robb Stark of the Series.

God, I'm a pansy...

I think the book Robb and the show Robb are two subtlety different characters, in that the book has a sixteen year old boy.

He wasn't even a man yet :( He was only 14 at the time of the first book, probably just barely 15 by the time it was done. *sniff*

Archived