[BOOK SPOILERS] Sex/Romance: What Fans Wanna See in Future Seasons [MEGA SPOILERS

beehives

I think there is a difference in being against the existance of something.

And having that something everywhere in your daily life forced upon you.

You really don't get it do you? Those people who were against the liberal laws you have in your country thought *exactly* the same as you do. Eg. It's OK for gays to *exist* as long as they don't want any rights. They didn't get those rights because of people like *you*. They got those rights because of people who thought that it wasn't OK for gays to have to hide away.

Just because there are some extreme homophobes who don't think gays have the right to even exist, doesn't give you a pass for opinions like "it's fine for people to be secretly different as long as I never, ever have to be confronted with the existence of people not like me".

You really don't get it do you? Those people who were against the liberal laws you have in your country thought *exactly* the same as you do. Eg. It's OK for gays to *exist* as long as they don't want any rights. They didn't get those rights because of people like *you*. They got those rights because of people who thought that it wasn't OK for gays to have to hide away.

Just because there are some extreme homophobes who don't think gays have the right to even exist, doesn't give you a pass for opinions like "it's fine for people to be secretly different as long as I never, ever have to be confronted with the existence of people not like me".

I just don't want to see homosexual acts in every tv series I ever turn on. And I love tv/movies/books.

I find it very annoying that everything these days has to have 500% feminism and the rest to make it 100% politically correct.

And I don't like that you just assume that I am against homosexuals in any way.

And you guys create a lot out of thin air....I mean when did I ever say it was okay for them to exist but not have any rights? Christ...*edit*

Homosexuality is not an agenda either. It's a natural state of being for people whose sexual orientation happens to not align with the biological imperative of baby-making.

That you are honestly complaining about politically motivated over-representation of homosexuality in a series where 9 out of 10 sexual relationships are heterosexual is mind-boggling. Loras and Renly are the only two male homosexual characters of any importance in the story, and there aren't even any lesbians, only woman-on-woman action that's there to titillate straight men. What on earth is your issue here, specific to this series and this show, seriously? That Martin is more inclusive of people unlike himself than you are? Nobody is forcing you to write a story about icky gay people if you don't want to. He chose to. Gay people exist, and he put a few gay people in his story of a cast of thousands of predominantly straight people, over half of whom are men, the vast majority of whom are able-bodied and white.

What. is. the. problem.

Homosexuality is not an agenda either. It's a natural state of being for people whose sexual orientation happens to not align with the biological imperative of baby-making.

That you are honestly complaining about politically motivated over-representation of homosexuality in a series where 9 out of 10 sexual relationships are heterosexual is mind-boggling. Loras and Renly are the only two male homosexual characters of any importance in the story, and there aren't even any lesbians, only woman-on-woman action that's there to titillate straight men. What on earth is your issue here, specific to this series and this show, seriously? That Martin is more inclusive of people unlike himself than you are? Nobody is forcing you to write a story about icky gay people if you don't want to. He chose to. Gay people exist, and he put a few gay people in his story of a cast of thousands of predominantly straight people, over half of whom are men, the vast majority of whom are able-bodied and white.

What. is. the. problem.

Well, it kind of started with Martin etc, but then we side-tracked a lot.

And it's like I said early on....when you try catering to everyone...you cater to no-one.

Speak for yourself. I don't feel the least bit disenfranchised by the presence of gay people, simply because I am not homosexual. If anything, as a nonwhite female all these white guys that *sigh* have to be in every story ever are more concerning to me. If you say that not every kind of person has to be included in every story, I hope you realize that that applies to straight white able-bodied cis-gendered men too.

I find it very annoying that everything these days has to have 500% feminism and the rest to make it 100% politically correct.

Good news! ASOIAF is jam-packed with misogyny. Of course, that's largely for the purpose of explaining why misogyny is a bad thing. So it may not be exactly what you like. Perhaps you were enticed by the surface misogyny, but put off by the deconstruction of the theme?

And I don't like that you just assume that I am against homosexuals in any way.

Because you have consistently posted in this thread about how much you don't like homosexuals. If that's wrong, explain why.

I can heartily recommend to you the works of Orson Scott Card. I think he may be much more to your taste. ASOIAF never will be, from the looks of it.

Btw

Just to satisfy my curiousity.

I mean Peter Dinklage and dwarves are people as well.

Do you want to see a dwarf have sex in every series you watch?

gay we know

interracial?

Any other kind?

Because that's diversity.

1.) I agree with what's been said by others in response to your comments about homosexual sex.

2.) As a person from a multiracial background, I take personal offense at your insinuation that interracial sex is "icky".

Ergh. Jorah behaving nicer to Dany in the show is valid argument for him being less creepy. Jorah being more physically attractive is definitely not. Attractive people can be creepy and just because someone is attractive, doesn't mean that their affections are wanted or "ought" to be reciprocated (oh how could Dany not possibly want him! He so fine! BLEGH). If the show wants to change things in order to cash in on Iain Glenn's good looks then that's one thing, but it would involve changing more fundamental aspects of the dynamic, as reflected in other parts of the conversation above.

Yeah. I also find this offensive... A lot of assholes who don't take no for an answer are hot, people.

It's also because I have always liked the character, but now it's like there are all these people coming out of the woodwork being like "Ohhh I never liked Jorah at all before but TV JORAH SO HOT I LIKE HIM" it's a little like... hey stay out of my Mormont pool! :)

OTOH, there seem to be some people that have begun to adjust their perspective of Book Jorah after watching the TV series. I have less problem with this for the following reason: I think the very fact that was can see Jorah falling in love with Daenerys well before she realizes what happened makes him much more sympathetic. The TV series allows us to see things that would otherwise have been filtered through a flawed narrator. The books cannot do this. And I have to say that while I have always LIKED Jorah from the books and found him sympathetic and tragic, I did find that the TV portrayal hmm... enhanced that liking to epic proportions. And I think I can honestly say it's not because he is hot. It was more about his manner being so kindly, and the amazing use of expression to tell a thousand times what we were ever able to see while reading.

And this...is how I learn that I suck at written communication. I apologize, ladies, I was NOT trying to say that the sole reason I find him less creepy is that he is hot, I was trying to say that I find him hot and that I find the Jorah of the TV series such a fundamentally different character (for reasons nicely explained by MDIND above) that I would not really have a problem with the attraction being played up in the TV series, whereas I felt very differently about it in the books.

Yuck, yuck, yuck. Totally agree that lots of assholes who don't take no for an answer are hot. :ack:

And this...is how I learn that I suck at written communication. I apologize, ladies, I was NOT trying to say that the sole reason I find him less creepy is that he is hot, I was trying to say that I find him hot and that I find the Jorah of the TV series such a fundamentally different character (for reasons nicely explained by MDIND above) that I would not really have a problem with the attraction being played up in the TV series, whereas I felt very differently about it in the books.

Lolz, no worries Alexia. I don't think I was thinking of you when I replied at least. More the general... feeling I get from "Teh Internetz." Though honestly the part that bugs me the most when people say "Jorah was a creeper in the books but now I kinda ship it" is the first part, since I don't think he's creepy at all (unless one believes that unrequited love is always creepy)! But I know we don't agree on that aspect so live and let live and all that. :)

BTW thanks to LB, Guad and Brienne the Beauty for holding down the fort. Yeeeeesh.

I just don't want to see homosexual acts in every tv series I ever turn on.

Well, you don't, so what are you complaining about??

Most TV-shows I have seen does not have any gay sex scenes.

Ofcourse - what I imagine you're REALLY saying, is that you don't want to see that stuff ever - and think it shold be banned from TV/movies.

Unless it's like, a tv-series/movie which are labeled as a "gay movie/show" - like Brokeback mountain or something (great movie, btw), in which you'd just stay the hell away.

I don't really think you're as much of a biggot as some people here make you out to be, though. I think you're probably just immature and think that as a straight guy, you "have" to be really disturbed by it. I remember when i was 13, I watched a tv-show where there were these two guys that just suddenly started making out. I litterally screamed, covered my eyes and ran out of the room. I probably just though that was what you did when you saw somethin like that.

Anyway....

*tiptoes in*

I don't get a whole lot romantically or sexually from the books. Maybe it's too much politics and intrigue distracting me (and more focus on appeal to het males in the descriptive writing). There are some nice looking actors on the show though *cough*IainGlenAidanGillen*cough*.

*scurries out*

Just found this:

http://tvovermind.zap2it.com/cable/hbo/game-of-thrones/game-thrones-season-2-love-story-producers/68295

Season of the love story? Perhaps they will bump Robb/Jeyne front and center, or (edit) Jon/Ygritte.

Or, more likely, there's going to be so much tortured, conflicted, dysfunctional, unrequited, and/or unfinished business between a million possible couples that an extended Roz/Pycelle, Roz/LF, Roz/any-warm-body-in-the-show coupling will qualify as a satisfying love story.

They want to create love stories because that is what sells best on television. An example: "True Blood"

I do not know as they will, but I fear that the creators can make mistakes a lot. I do not want to see a romance series, I want to see is a series with political intrigue, assassinations, plots, characters do what they can to survive, sex, blood, (I'm not saying this is how to Spartacus) and so on.

Just found this:

http://tvovermind.zap2it.com/cable/hbo/game-of-thrones/game-thrones-season-2-love-story-producers/68295

Season of the love story? Perhaps they will bump Robb/Jeyne front and center, or (edit) Jon/Ygritte.

Or, more likely, there's going to be so much tortured, conflicted, dysfunctional, unrequited, and/or unfinished business between a million possible couples that an extended Roz/Pycelle, Roz/LF, Roz/any-warm-body-in-the-show coupling will qualify as a satisfying love story.

LOL. To me a romance doesn't have to be requited or successful in order to be satisfying and appealing. Give me more emotional torture in my "romance," and less sex!

They will probably put Jeyne/Robb back in for certain, and we'll probably see a proper love scene. I think that they do get married during aCoK right? While Catelyn is gone? I think it's too soon for Jon/Ygritte since she will only have a few scenes. There will be some... early flirting I'm sure on her part.

There's also Stannis / Melisandre to consider. I'm looking forward to it personally. Pretty twisted and full of angst, could be interesting.

They want to create love stories because that is what sells best on television. An example: "True Blood"

If they'd wanted a nice lovey-dovey series full of romance they wouldn't have licensed Game of Thrones! They know what it is and why people like it and are unlikely to neuter it. There's a lot of love/romance/sex in the series to start with, so they don't need to add more.

Archived