[ADWD SPOILERS] The Queensguard

Xray the Enforcer

Barristan reminds me of Ned, so honorable. I really like him. Jorah and him would have made such a great partnership in defending Daenerys.

And grrr Hizdhar trying to poison Daenerys, not surprised tho. I hope he gets fryed!

I always had Barristan down as a bit of a bad-ass but this chapter sort of threw me off guard, excuse the pun but it did. Before, his age never afflicted him and now he complains about climbing stairs? Although, I do find it refreshing to have a character that's view point is honest and knows their limitations. At least he admits he prefers to take command rather than execute them and excepts his position in life. I nice respite from the schemers and climbers.

It's about time he stopped acting like Barristan the Old and more like Barriston the Bold. There's nothing I'd like to see more than the Harpy and her sons burn. Them, Hizador and The perfumed seneschal. Also what about the hostages? They're still in the Yunkai camp, if they are attacked, it might result in the deaths of those captives. Although I wouldn't mind Brown Ben Plumm and Daario killing each other.

I loved this chapter, Barristan is one of my favorite non POV characters, so it was nice to get his POV. Everything we see from him is professional and business all the time, he never lets on about his inner doubts and pains, and it's nice to finally see that. After this chapter I am definitely reminded more of Ned, as we always got to see what was going on in Ned's brain.

His reputation is something everyone else sees, but inside, just like any other human, he is filled with doubts and troubles. I don't understand why anyone would think less of him, even honorable men struggle with their demons. I liked how he mentions that "lesser" men of the kingsgaurd would give in to temptations, but not Barristan, desipte everything he still maintains bad assery. He knows his age and limitations and now his biggest concern is making sure the Queensgaurd is ready to defend Dany. I'm not sure he plans on dying in bed, seems like he wants to go out in a blaze of glory.

The Shavepate tells Barristan Yurhkaz, the Yunkai'ish commander, is dead.

When did that happen? Selmy doesn't react, so I assumed I missed something, but I can't find it.

He died at the fighting pit; heart-attack apparently on seeing the dragon? Or just got trampled under-foot as the crowd ran.

He was quite old and frail to begin with. More of a joke - as are a lot of the Yunkish and Astapori Wise/Good Masters.

He died at the fighting pit; heart-attack apparently on seeing the dragon? Or just got trampled under-foot as the crowd ran.

He was quite old and frail to begin with. More of a joke - as are a lot of the Yunkish and Astapori Wise/Good Masters.

Thanks.

I figured it was something like that, but somehow can't find the reference. Or maybe Barristan just doesn't give two shits what happened to him.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks.

I figured it was something like that, but somehow can't find the reference. Or maybe Barristan just doesn't give two shits what happened to him.

I was wondering about this as well. I just kind of assumed he was killed in all the chaos when Drogon came.

By my reckoning, this is the first time since Ned that we've had a POV who we might reasonably expect to have some idea that anything happened at the Tower of Joy.

I'll give that a moment to sink in, because I find it kind of shocking and exciting all at once.

It's anybody's guess just how much Barristan knows about what his brothers were doing there, but I'd hate for him to kick the bucket before we have a chance to learn more from him. (Although we wouldn't need his POV to learn more; it would be enough to have a few more of his history lessons with Dany.)

Edit: All right all right, Jaime had sworn brothers at ToJ too. Scratch the above, maybe, but I'm still sure that Barristan would know more than Jaime about that.

It's about time he stopped acting like Barristan the Old and more like Barriston the Bold. There's nothing I'd like to see more than the Harpy and her sons burn. Them, Hizador and The perfumed seneschal. Also what about the hostages? They're still in the Yunkai camp, if they are attacked, it might result in the deaths of those captives. Although I wouldn't mind Brown Ben Plumm and Daario killing each other.

This one agrees.

I had been wondering how Tyrion and Jorah might be able to escape the slavers, but I suppose in the mass confusion and battle it may be possible. Still crossing my fingers that Jorah somehow makes it out alive.

• 2 weeks later...

Idk about anyone else, but i am truely loving the past 6 ish chapters. Ever since the time lines became allign. Dany riding drogon was awesome; Martin successfully transformed a somewhat cliche plotline and made it seem real. The tension filled conversation between Dany and Hizdhar, and then drogon shows up ?!?! WHAT?!

This chapter was good too, i loved how this was done

• 3 weeks later...

Yes! Back in Daenerys 8 I was longing for a Barristan Selmy chapter so happy my wish came true. I love the sense of honor, duty the genuine torment of getting older and knowing your own limitations. He is LOYAL. Our Ned would be proud <3

• 2 weeks later...

Archived