[ADWD Spoilers] Post here if you're an idiot like me

naz

She screams “Sword”, one of the two words given to her by the Brotherhood. (The other was “Noose.”) Sword means “I’ll do what my Lady says and go after Jaime Lannister”.

It does not prove that she’s dead at all.

Thank you, that's exactly what I thought but I kept reading about Zombie Brienne and it just didn't make sense.

I missed the Frey pie and don't have the book with me at the moment so can someone clarify/spell it out for me?

Manderly killed the Freys, put them in a pie and fed them to the guests at Winterfell - is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. Manderly sent the three Freys ahead of his party up north and gave them a guest-gift (I can't remember what this is actually called) that signified they were no longer under his hospitality. Then the three Freys disappeared. In the wedding scene, three huge (read: man-sized) pies are brought out, filled with "pork." Manderly eats two slices of pie from each; Roose Bolton watches him. Manderly calls for the Rat Cook song to be sung; Rat Cook served an Andal king a pie with the king's son in it (because of this, the cook was turned into a giant rat who could only eat his young). Also, the song is sung to remind people why you shouldn't violate the law of hospitality, which the Freys did at the Red Wedding but Manderly has not.

I don't understand. She screams a word, what word is it? and how is it proof that she's dead?

No, I did not mean thats proof that she is dead, I meant it proof that she is NOT dead. At first, I thought that she was dead (earlier post), but then after a re-read of the part in AFFC, I relized that I forgot about the "word" that saved her.

Hm, I don't think that Varys and Illyrio strive for "gains". They are die-hard Targaryen loyalists.

I believe Aegon is the real deal. Tyrion looked at him, thought a little and recognized a honest-to-goodness Targaryen.

I think what Varys said to the dying Kevan Lannister was the simple truth. It fits Vary's character to honestly feel sorry for a good man who happens to stand in his way and thus has to go. Probably he felt sorry for Eddard as well.

Agree

Like alot of others, I missed the pie thing. I thought he had poisoned it and was basically going down with the ship, so to speak. I was further mistaken because Theon didnt eat any at all, so I expected him to wake up one morning with everyone else dead and stannis strolling easily into Winterfell.

Hm, I don't think that Varys and Illyrio strive for "gains". They are die-hard Targaryen loyalists.

I believe Aegon is the real deal. Tyrion looked at him, thought a little and recognized a honest-to-goodness Targaryen.

I think what Varys said to the dying Kevan Lannister was the simple truth. It fits Vary's character to honestly feel sorry for a good man who happens to stand in his way and thus has to go. Probably he felt sorry for Eddard as well.

Comon, in GRRM's books, 90% of the characters strive for some type of "gains". Your gonna tell me an overweight rich Pentoshi Magister far away from Westeros cares that much about the Politics there? Maybe he caught the Danerys disease of wanting to plant olive trees far away from where they're suppose to be? And that an eunuch from Myrish origins is gonna save a son of a mad king who only hired him for spying? Its not that I think Aegon is fake, but that there is very little proof that he is real. By the way, Tyrion realized a "honest-to-goodness Targaryern" because Haldon told him. He had an "idea" that it was Aegon, and then the Halfmaester "confirmed" it by telling Tyrion what he thought was the truth.

And for arguments sake, when Varys told Kevan all those stuff, maybe he was lying? Possibly...?

Tormund's nickname "Giantsbane" and his tall kid being related to the Umber daughter who wildlings kidnapped years ago

Wait, wait - what? Was this implied somewhere, or actually stated? Now that is nice!

I didn't get about anything, I am an idiot, and then I looked up some scenes before reading them after being horribly pissed with Mance's 'execution', so I will never know if had noticed them on my own, probably not.

I only got the perfumed seneschal and Theon being somewhat reduced.

Davos hears the story of a Brandon Stark (called "Ice Eyes") when he's in the Wolf's Den. Roose Bolton's eyes (and Ramsay's) look like two chunks of ice. Roose notes that the only reason he didn't kill Ramsay as a baby was because Ramsay had his eyes. Jon notes that a lot of Northern lords have intermarried with the Starks over the centuries. The Boltons, as House Stark's primary rival, have doubtless done so. So isn't it possible that the Boltons share their distinctive eyes with Brandon Ice-Eyes, and that Brandon either inherited those eyes from his own Bolton ancestor, or the current Boltons descend from Brandon Ice-Eyes and inherited his eyes?

Not a major thing, just something I found interesting.

Comon, in GRRM's books, 90% of the characters strive for some type of "gains". Your gonna tell me an overweight rich Pentoshi Magister far away from Westeros cares that much about the Politics there? Maybe he caught the Danerys disease of wanting to plant olive trees far away from where they're suppose to be? And that an eunuch from Myrish origins is gonna save a son of a mad king who only hired him for spying? Its not that I think Aegon is fake, but that there is very little proof that he is real. By the way, Tyrion realized a "honest-to-goodness Targaryern" because Haldon told him. He had an "idea" that it was Aegon, and then the Halfmaester "confirmed" it by telling Tyrion what he thought was the truth.

And for arguments sake, when Varys told Kevan all those stuff, maybe he was lying? Possibly...?

I agree that Varys and Illyrio want some sort of gain... but I see no reason for Varys to lie to Kevan. Kevan was dying, and so lying to him has no purpose. No, that doesn't prove that he was telling the truth, but it is at least a sign that he was telling the truth.

On the subject of personal gain, if Aegon takes back the throne and Varys or Illyrio ask for gold or a lordship, they would be granted it immediately. It still seems kind of weak to me, though - Varys and Illyrio could have all the gold, and potentially land for Varys, that they wanted.

There's also a quote of him in his very first chapter saying that Ramsay took the fingers and that other thing. (or something like that)

Also when asked to "get [Arya] ready" for sex, when she was "dry as a bone", Theon is confused and says " I... do you mean... m'lord, I have no ... I..." before being told to do it "with your mouth." Implication is that Theon has been gelded.

Like alot of others, I missed the pie thing. I thought he had poisoned it and was basically going down with the ship, so to speak. I was further mistaken because Theon didnt eat any at all, so I expected him to wake up one morning with everyone else dead and stannis strolling easily into Winterfell.

that would have been awesome

Since people around this board seem to be extremely knowledgable, I have a quick question to ask:

I just finished reading ADWD and was wondering about the undead (wights I believe they're called). Are they just another form of warging. I mean, is it an extreme form of warging where the others take control over corpses?

Since people around this board seem to be extremely knowledgable, I have a quick question to ask:

I just finished reading ADWD and was wondering about the undead (wights I believe they're called). Are they just another form of warging. I mean, is it an extreme form of warging where the others take control over corpses?

It's a theory that's been posited.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fasoiaf.westeros.org%2Findex.php%2Ftopic%2F51558-are-wights-warged%2F&ei=fWVWTtHzJ-j00gGjiISYDA&usg=AFQjCNE8FE0oVh0HC6xR1tNJV0_kctlpKg&sig2=-EEkWvWmdYlsL_g33ZTHbQ

Archived