LA Book Signing - July 26, 7:00pm

Just got back from my journey to The Grove. I talked to four people at the bookstore and then a guy from The Grove's concierge desk, who consulted the security department, and this is what I found out:

• You are NOT allowed anywhere on Grove property during off-hours. This includes lining up next to Banana Republic. They have a 24 hour security patrol and will kick you out.
  • You ARE allowed on the street, though. Recommended waiting area is at Third and Gillespie. (For reference, Banana Republic is on Gillespie, which is a little street that runs into The Grove.) At around 8 am, the line will be moved inside The Grove to the front of Barnes & Noble.
  • The floor manager would not tell me how many wristbands they're giving out for the event. One of the other employees guessed it's 300 but wasn't sure.
  • There will be regular wristbands and a limited number of "priority" wristbands for B&N members. I'm pretty sure they'll be selling the memberships at the time of giving out wristbands, if you want to go that route.
  • If you don't get a wristband, there will be a standby line. It's up to George how many people he'll sign for beyond the wristbands.

Finally, they're expecting a "large turnout" but it didn't sound like they're expecting a lot of people to camp out. My guess is that people will start lining up between 4 and 5, but of course that's pure speculation on my part. I've looked at the transit schedules and I think the earliest I can get back to The Grove by 6:30 or 6:45. If anyone is going earlier and would be willing to save me a spot in line, I would be incredibly grateful.

May you save me a spot?

Just got back from my journey to The Grove. I talked to four people at the bookstore and then a guy from The Grove's concierge desk, who consulted the security department, and this is what I found out:

[*] You are NOT allowed anywhere on Grove property during off-hours. This includes lining up next to Banana Republic. They have a 24 hour security patrol and will kick you out.

[*] You ARE allowed on the street, though. Recommended waiting area is at Third and Gillespie. (For reference, Banana Republic is on Gillespie, which is a little street that runs into The Grove.) At around 8 am, the line will be moved inside The Grove to the front of Barnes & Noble.

Finally, they're expecting a "large turnout" but it didn't sound like they're expecting a lot of people to camp out. My guess is that people will start lining up between 4 and 5, but of course that's pure speculation on my part. I've looked at the transit schedules and I think the earliest I can get back to The Grove by 6:30 or 6:45. If anyone is going earlier and would be willing to save me a spot in line, I would be incredibly grateful.

I guess Third & Gillespie is what that guy meant by "next to Banana Republic". Sigh. Thanks for clarifying.

I will be arriving at the Grove around 5am (though I'm not sure where to park... hopefully the lot is open?). Find me in line and I'll definitely save you a spot. Beyond blond and glasses, I'm not sure how to identify myself. I'm 35, I may be reading a book on privateering, and I may bring a little purple chair.

I guess Third & Gillespie is what that guy meant by "next to Banana Republic". Sigh. Thanks for clarifying.

I will be arriving at the Grove around 5am (though I'm not sure where to park... hopefully the lot is open?). Find me in line and I'll definitely save you a spot. Beyond blond and glasses, I'm not sure how to identify myself. I'm 35, I may be reading a book on privateering, and I may bring a little purple chair.

Ah, I didn't think to ask about parking! Sorry about that. I'll definitely look for you, thanks very much.

Ser Frank Haven--Just look for me when you get there.

Looking forward to meeting some of you! Oh, and I'm only on the third chapter of ADWD, so please count me in for that non-spoiler table.

Ah, I didn't think to ask about parking! Sorry about that. I'll definitely look for you, thanks very much.

Ser Frank Haven--Just look for me when you get there.

Looking forward to meeting some of you! Oh, and I'm only on the third chapter of ADWD, so please count me in for that non-spoiler table.

My twitter is @red_blaster either way I'm the heavy set 19 year old with glasses

Oh and I'm about 200 pages from the end. I've been really pacing myself...read a chapter, sit and think on it awhile, lol. So save me a seat at the non-spoiler table.

I can't pace myself. I just want to devour the whole thing! Luckily, life keeps intruding on my reading time and so I am about 700 pages in. I also stared at it for a week or so while I finished re-reading AFFC. I think was happiest then -- when I knew I had the whole book ahead of me and I could start it at any time! How sad is that?

Hope this doesn't post twice. At grove, parked in lot no problem. Sitting on farmers market bench-- technically off property. Trying to keep eye on b&n, desperate for coffee. Guard said could line up at 630. We'll see. Ponytail, glasses, jeans, boots. Find me!

Went by there a while ago (as hedgerow said!) and there was only a handful of people. It is early though. I'll be back in around 45 minutes or so. Have we decided where to go after yet?

I am group b, and the guy said i'd see George at 6:30 so doesn't seem like a big. Crowd.

I thought the signing didn't start until 7?

I'm baffled by the tiny crowd. Seemed like maybe 50 to 100 people while I was there. I wonder if people don't know the event is wristbanded or if LA just sucks. I suppose they're not mutually exclusive. In any case, had a lot of fun chatting book love and casting in line.

If no one claims the second wristband, I'm giving it to my friend Eleanor.

Hope to see lots of people at cocktails at the Whisper. At 8? 9?

I am group b, and the guy said i'd see George at 6:30 so doesn't seem like a big. Crowd.

Same here! I looked for you in line but don't think I spotted you. Was right behind the 80 cut too. Hmm...

I'm amazed at a turnout that 100-150 people were there at opening just to get wristbands, it's going to be nuts today.

I asked about priority wristbands, the guy said there were only twenty silver priority wristbands for BN members. TWENTY! are they nuts? They should have 100 at least. They were already gone, of course, by the time I got my wristband, generic pink, B group.

Archived