Favourite Character introduced in CoK?

Robb_

I really liked Davos. He's a very honorable man in the books, and there were many times that he reminded me of Ned Stark in his mannerisms and the way he acted. He has a tendency to be honest, and always do the right by Stannis whether it would make Stannis angry or not, or whether it could potentially get him in trouble. He was there to offer his honest opinion on things, granted Stannis preferred the truth rather than a lie.

It was also nice to read what was going on from that point of view. It was nice to see what was happening from Stannis' front since we have been getting things from the Stark side, the Lannister side, and they also added Theon. The problem is that I definitely did not like Theon's character. He made me so angry, many times.

Davos wins. (I also actually rather liked Brienne)

Theon. Or better yet, the character Theon becomes in ACoK. People hate on him but he's not all that bad. The way his character evolved from first book to second book was awesome.

Impressive, I believe you might be the only person I've ever seen/heard say that they actually liked Theon's character. That's a change of pace.

Davos is Ned's replacement in a way. Honest, grateful, honorable, dutiful. The only difference is that Ned served the realm, while Davos serves his king.

Davos is an awesome character to follow, because he is so complex, but appears simple. He is very faithful to the Seven; blindly loyal to his king, but still speaks his own opinion; does not value his life very much, but would do anything for his sons; a misfit--he is a smuggler among knights, and few respect him. All of these combine to make such an awesome character. The moment I fell in love with him was when he confronted Maester Cressen before his attempt to assassinate Melisandre.

Davos is one of my favorites now because of all these reasons! My friend likes to refer to him as "The poor man's Ned Stark". He really is my new replacement for Ned.

My second new character introduced that I really like has to be... Halfhand. He is such a badass. Him and his whole team.

Also it was so sad and awesome when Jon was forced to fight him. He KNEW it was going to happen and I think he went easy on Jon in that fight. Stuff like that in stories (Like the final fight in Metal Gear Solid 3) where you have to fight a master or superior and kill them to further the truth or as a final test always gets me.

Jaqen H'ghar. Though, the only vision I could muster up for him as I read Arya's chapters was the dude from V For Vendetta.

Magic, mystery, assassination, shape shifting, intrigue, teamwork and a catch phrase --

what's better than that? Surely not Asha

stroking her own brother's cock

Davos is one of my favorites now because of all these reasons! My friend likes to refer to him as "The poor man's Ned Stark". He really is my new replacement for Ned.

My second new character introduced that I really like has to be... Halfhand. He is such a badass. Him and his whole team.

Also it was so sad and awesome when Jon was forced to fight him. He KNEW it was going to happen and I think he went easy on Jon in that fight. Stuff like that in stories (Like the final fight in Metal Gear Solid 3) where you have to fight a master or superior and kill them to further the truth or as a final test always gets me.

Agreed on Halfhand. He's the kind of ranger that I always imagined the Watch would have.

Generally speaking, I was concerned coming into ACoK that I wasn't sure that Martin could convince me to love and root for any of the characters that remained. I was wrong. If anything, I see that some of his genius is the way in which he times the bits of information that he provides to us about the characters we think we know and the characters we are just meeting. It makes me wonder how far he has developed his characters before he began to write each book. I'm sure there is a thread about his writing process and his preparation method(s), if someone would link it, I'd love to read it.

Where to start?

Stannis is a character that I find myself liking in spite of both himself and myself.

He is far more complex than one would assume at first glance. Vulnerable in subtle ways, and hard to pin down as either strong or weak.

Davos, naturally, is quite the admirable character. I like him a whole lot. The parallels to Ned did not appear to me until I read this thread, however.

Ser Cortnay Penrose was a favorite of mine. Alas, it was not to last. I so hate Melisandre!

Speaking of which, Renly deserved far better, even if objectively it was perhaps for the best that he is out of the loop. It is ironic how he was probably the best claimant, yet also the first to be removed from play.

Theon disappointed me deeply in this book. But he is all the more engaging a character for that. His blind trust in Reek is just so revolting, and his constant fear of disappointing just about everyone is all the more powerful because it is so justified.

Brienne is fine. I don't think we have seen quite enough to make her all that interesting in this book, however.

Podrick Payne has earned my sympathy with his loyalty and good will towards Tyrion. I hope we see more of him in the other books.

The Reeds have potential and a lot of plot importance, but I don't find myself all that interested in them yet. They look a bit too cucumber cool for my taste.

As for the already established characters, I liked Tyrion and wish I had seen more of the Blackfish. Sansa was surprisingly interesting in this book, with unsuspected depths and even courage. George Martin wrote her very well in this book, better than Arya even. Varys wasn't as emphasized as I hoped for. And Littlefinger is way too quiet for confort!

Stannis; there's a lot more to this fella than has been let on so far and I sincerely hope we get a lot more.

Theon; There lies, I think, a frightened lad underneath all that bluster about what should be rightfully his.

Melisandre; a powerful woman who I'd like to say will go far, but knowing Mr. Martin, I may just end up eating my words!

I have a habit of rushing through books on their first outing, so can't speak for Dolorous Edd. There shall be re-reads though!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived