[ADwD Spoilers] The Hooded Man at Winterfell

Flea Bottom

Couldn't the hooded man just be a hooded man? Not everyone has to be someone significant. He could've just had him hooded at that point to make us think he just came face to face with the killer.

I highly doubt it's anyone Theon has met before else he would've noted his voice.

Couldn't the hooded man just be a hooded man? Not everyone has to be someone significant. He could've just had him hooded at that point to make us think he just came face to face with the killer.

I highly doubt it's anyone Theon has met before else he would've noted his voice.

Yes! I agree. I've never thought it was anyone other than some random dude walking around in a hood. The Boltons, Manderleys and the others were a huge party and it was highly likely that there were people there (guards, servants etc) who knew who Theon was but had never actually met him before.

I have another option that I haven't seen mentioned yet, at least not in this thread.

I think the hooded man could be none other than our faithful Onion Knight, Ser Davos. I don't have a lot of hard evidence to support this, but I can't find evidence against it either. Here's why I think it might be plausible:

The Story

The last time we saw Davos he was being sent on a mission by Wyman Manderly to retrieve Rickon Stark, probably on Skagos. If he were successful then Wyman promised he would throw his support behind Stannis. Since we never hear from Davos again we've all assumed his story will be picked up in TWoW at some point in his quest and that he doesn't factor into ADwD any further.

But, this deal with Manderly is struck at around pg 400. It always seemed somewhat strange to me that we never see any more of Davos from the point forward. A fair bit of time has passed since then. Wyman finished hosting his guests at White Harbor. He then set out for Winterfell at what we know was a ponderously slow pace. He attended the wedding. And since then they've all been holed up in Winterfell waiting on Stannis for a good long while (months?) by the time Theon has his sighting. This seems like enough time for Davos to have potentially completed his mission.

Now, assuming Davos did complete his mission, what would his next move be? He would have to get in touch with Manderly to inform him of his success so that when the battle with Stannis came, he would know which side to fight for. So, Davos obviously can't send a raven. He would have to make a beeline for Winterfell where he knows Wyman will be. How he might get into the castle is a bit of a mystery but, under cover of so much snow and darkness, it certainly doesn't seem impossible, especially for a smuggler as skilled as he.

And if he has access to Rickon or has Rickon with him in the castle (unlikely) then he probably knows of places to hide. Rickon certainly was no stranger to hiding places in the crypts (e.g. when he surprised Bran after they each dreamed of their father after his death).

So, it at least seems conceivable that it could be Davos. But if so, does his interaction with Theon make sense? I think so.

The Evidence

First, going back to the Davos's conversation with Manderly and Glover at White Harbor, Davos said:

"...When the northmen came to oust him [Theon], he put the entire castle to the sword, down to the last child, before he himself was slain by Lord Bolton's bastard."

to which Glover says:

"Not slain, captured, and carried back to the Dreadfort. The Bastard has been flaying him."

That's all they say about Theon. Now, if I'm Davos and I hear that Theon's being flayed at the Dreadfort, the last thing I would expect to see walking around Winterfell (with what looks like complete freedom) is Theon Greyjoy. So, when the hooded man says "How is it you still breathe?" it makes perfect sense in the context of what Davos knows about Theon's predicament.

Second, if Davos is sneaking around the castle trying to go unseen, one would imagine that he would be quite on edge. This explains why his hand goes immediately to his dagger when he recognizes Theon. He is on his gaurd and is shocked by who comes striding towards him out of the snow. Probably thinking something along the lines of 'I know him, he will know me'. Then, as the conversation progresses, he very quickly realizes that Theon is completely broken, harmless and not a threat. So, at the end of the conversation, when Theon removes his gloves and shows him his missing fingers, it's actually with relief that the hooded man laughs and says "I leave you to him then."

Third, we would expect Davos (a man of honor and a straight-talker) not to let Theon pass by without telling him exactly what he thinks of him. "False is all you were." This sounds exactly like Davos. Blunt, simple and to the point. No fancy words.

Fourth, as has been suggested by others, a true northman who stumbled upon Theon alone and had just learned he was still alive and free would be furious. The person Theon meets is not angry at all. This fits Davos who, while he would hate Theon as a person, would not be personally angry with him. The reaction Theon receives, instant disdain, but no open hostility or menace is consistent with this. This is no northman Theon has encountered and no one with a direct personal interest in what Theon did at Winterfell.

Fifth (and somewhat weak), before leaving the hall on his way to the encounter Theon does a somewhat thorough accounting of the major guests in the hall. Manderly is not listed as being in the hall at that point. So Davos could conceivably have been going to or coming from a meeting with him.

Possible evidence against all this is whether Davos would even have recognized Theon. Would he have seen him in the past at any point? I can't recall.

But Why?

So, if this is Davos, why would GRRM have structured the books the way he did to make his identity such a mystery? And if Davos is prowling around Winterfell, why don't we see any of his POV?

Well, at the end of ADwD Jon's letter from Ramsay is supposed to provide some doubt about Stannis's fate and add an element of suspense. Even if you don't believe the letter (because when last we saw his camp things certainly seemed to be tipping in Stannis's favor), there's still a possibility that it contains some truth. We don't know what exactly happened to Stannis and won't know for a few years. If Davos were at Winterfell and was plotting with Manderly to betray Bolton, then seeing that from his perspective would completely undermine the suspense, the cliffhanger and the mystery created by that letter.

We know that some late chapters from ADwD were pushed into TWoW. Perhaps some of the early chapters in TWoW are going to be from Davos's perspective, possibly overlapping with Theon's chapters at Winterfell (I would love to see the encounter with Theon from Davos's perspective).

If that happens, those chapters will go on to provide insight into what happens at Winterfell after Theon leaves, as Bolton's camp prepares to battle Stannis. Certainly there is a big POV gap in the story right now since (unless everything of importance takes place in the Godswood) there is no one left in Winterfell to provide insight into what's happening there. And GRRM has said there will be no new POV's introduced.

Finally, having Davos at Winterfell may also provide some answers about who wrote the letter to Jon and why. Perhaps Davos is involved...

So, if the hooded man does turn out to be Davos I think it would be a master stroke on the part of GRRM!

Possible evidence against all this is whether Davos would even have recognized Theon. Would he have seen him in the past at any point? I can't recall.

That kind of kills the whole theory, I think. Also I seem to think that he was too short to fit the description?

I have another option that I haven't seen mentioned yet, at least not in this thread.

I think the hooded man could be none other than our faithful Onion Knight, Ser Davos. I don't have a lot of hard evidence to support this, but I can't find evidence against it either. Here's why I think it might be plausible:

The Evidence

First, going back to the Davos's conversation with Manderly and Glover at White Harbor, Davos said:

"...When the northmen came to oust him [Theon], he put the entire castle to the sword, down to the last child, before he himself was slain by Lord Bolton's bastard."

to which Glover says:

"Not slain, captured, and carried back to the Dreadfort. The Bastard has been flaying him."

That's all they say about Theon. Now, if I'm Davos and I hear that Theon's being flayed at the Dreadfort, the last thing I would expect to see walking around Winterfell (with what looks like complete freedom) is Theon Greyjoy. So, when the hooded man says "How is it you still breathe?" it makes perfect sense in the context of what Davos knows about Theon's predicament.

Second, if Davos is sneaking around the castle trying to go unseen, one would imagine that he would be quite on edge. This explains why his hand goes immediately to his dagger when he recognizes Theon. He is on his gaurd and is shocked by who comes striding towards him out of the snow. Probably thinking something along the lines of 'I know him, he will know me'. Then, as the conversation progresses, he very quickly realizes that Theon is completely broken, harmless and not a threat. So, at the end of the conversation, when Theon removes his gloves and shows him his missing fingers, it's actually with relief that the hooded man laughs and says "I leave you to him then."

Third, we would expect Davos (a man of honor and a straight-talker) not to let Theon pass by without telling him exactly what he thinks of him. "False is all you were." This sounds exactly like Davos. Blunt, simple and to the point. No fancy words.

Fourth, as has been suggested by others, a true northman who stumbled upon Theon alone and had just learned he was still alive and free would be furious. The person Theon meets is not angry at all. This fits Davos who, while he would hate Theon as a person, would not be personally angry with him. The reaction Theon receives, instant disdain, but no open hostility or menace is consistent with this. This is no northman Theon has encountered and no one with a direct personal interest in what Theon did at Winterfell.

I like this! :thumbsup: This is a convincing analysis.

I think the Hooded man had to be someone who either knew Theon from before he left Winterfell with Robb ,or at least knew him from the campaign.It would have to be someone who knew Theon's life with the Starks was much more "familial" than many hostages would enjoy, that he was really treated more like a ward than a hostage. I don't think people from Westeros throw the term " kinslayer " around lightly , reviled as kinslayers are .So the fact that the hooded man uses that term implies that he had considered Theon part of the Stark family by extension , making him kinslayer as well as turncloak (which anyone might call him ).

I doubt anyone would call him kinslayer because of the Ironmen he convinced to surrender to Ramsey.. unless there had been Greyjoys or maternal relatives among them. And although the Boltons have put the blame on him for Rodrik Cassel's death no one calls him kinslayer on Rodrik's account , only on Bran's and Rickon's.

Also, when the HM asks Theon how it is he still lives , it implies the HM has not had any information or rumours about his captivity, and had been thinking Theon had been killed. It says to me that the HM had no inkling Theon was alive at least up until the wedding, and perhaps until the very moment he meets Theon in the snowstorm.( Perhaps he had to stay hidden during the ceremony , or perhaps he arrived afterwards ..)

I could see the HM being Glover or Harwin , I suppose.. but the two most satisfying candidates for me are the Blackfish or Benjen..There's just something about the way he speaks and acts toward Theon that makes him feel like a very experienced and intelligent man...not that G.G isn't , necessarily..I don't know, maybe the BF and BJ already have an aura of men of mystery that just fits with the HM..;) Of the two I still lean toward Ben , now that I don't think he's Coldhands...and there must be a Stark in Winterfell , and he's more likely to know his way around the crypts. And if it's him, surely Bran wasn't the only child who grew up in Winterfell who could have dicovered the secret way through the walls to outside... especially a wild and adventurous child ?

The Blackfish may feel a blood tie to "Arya" but he'd be unfamiliar with Winterfell and I'd think he'd be somehow trying to have some effect on the situation in the Riverlands..? Still, possible..

I think the hooded man could be none other than our faithful Onion Knight, Ser Davos. I don't have a lot of hard evidence to support this, but I can't find evidence against it either. Here's why I think it might be plausible: ...

Apart from any other reason the timeline alone makes it implausible. You're assuming that Davos can make the difficult and dangerous journey to Skagos, find Rickon - who could be anywhere on the island - and get back within the same time period that Manderly makes the much shorter journey to Winterfell, the wedding occurs and the hooded man incident happens.

I could see the HM being Glover or Harwin , I suppose.. but the two most satisfying candidates for me are the Blackfish or Benjen..

I can see why you find the idea of Benjen being the hooded man satisfying but it would mean that he was at least an oathbreaker if not also a coward. Is that a satisfying idea? Also it would make the exchange a bit like the pot calling the kettle black, The Ned would have chopped off Benjen's head if he had broken his oath and abandoned the Wall.

If it is indeed infiltrator and not Theon himself the most important question why he doesn't kill Theon. Even if he thinks that being Ramsy's pet is punishment enough, he should be afraid that Theon would call the guards or tell someone about the man. So, it must be somebody who is not afraid of that, who knows that Theon is "on his side" in this matter.

Also with regard to "kinslaying" - Theon certainly knows that he didn't kill Bran or Rickon, but in his mind his actions (taking the Winterfell) brought the downfall of Robb, the only one who actually was more "brother" to him that his true brothers. A question "how do you still live"..doesn't nesseseraly mean that the hooded man was not aware of Theon survival. I can mean "how can you still live with yourself?".

So , imho it is actually a Theon himself or somebody who knows him too well (may be someone who knows his true name - his true essense?)

If the character is of any particular significance to the plot, I would rule out the below:

- Cannot be Benjen Stark as he is well beyond the Wall, missing. Unless, and that is huge UNLESS, Benjen was given an explicit order to return to Winterfell by Mormont, he will not break the oath and desert the NW. Chance of Mormont giving such order - pretty reasonable, but still, minimal. To speculate, Mormont may be aware that Winterfell is the last line of defense for the NW, and an important supply channel, so knowing that no mature person is in charge of it, could have motivated him to send Benjen to WF. Also, part of the reason why Benjen is not found anywhere beyond the Wall, may be because he is not there in the first place.

- Cannot be the the castellan/maester as both were killed by the Boltons. Chances for resurrection there - zero.

- Cannot be Theon, as the person is too material to be a pigment of Theon's imagination or alter ego.

- Cannot be Rob, as he is beheaded at the RW. Chances for him to survive RW and certain Frey plot to go around - minimal

- Cannot be anyone random because certain level of intimacy with Theon is hinted. So, the hooded person seems to know who and what Theon is.

So, who IS the hooded man at WF? And does he really matter?

I really doubt Theon is conversing with his ~split personality~. There is nothing about the way the scene is written that suggests to me he's interacting with himself, and if Martin tried to pass that off as a hallucination I would be extremely disappointed. I think Theon's psychological issues have been portrayed pretty well so far. Throwing in a ridiculous rendering of DID would be so uninspired.

Two things-

I find it incredulous that Theon can be simultaneously so unreliable a narrator as to imagine a small conversation with an alter ego right in front of him yet also be so perceptive as to notice one singer (of several, perhaps?) playing music faintly in the background. If he can imagine the former, he sure as hell can imagine the latter.

The BwB have met the real Arya in the Riverlands, they know that she was last seen in Saltpans(?) with Sandor Clegane... for another Arya to conveniently reappear in KL (there was no mention of Arya at all beforehand- not even to Cat's envoy- for obvious reasons) so they probably suspect (if not "know") that Bolton Arya is fake. Furhter, anyone (Harwin) who knew Arya in Winterfell (and/or saw her with the BwB) would instantly recognize Jayne to be a fake. Therefore, a BwB scout (sent just in case Jayne was real and/or to kill/spy on the Boltons) would have little reason to rescue Jayne (aside from gallantry) and plenty of incentive to kill off a few underlings.T

For the record, I think that the hooded man is not really important- just another chance encounter with a guardsman, probably a red herring- but he's definitely not alter-Theon. I also doubt that Lewin/Blackfish/Umber are candidates.

I think the Hooded man had to be someone who either knew Theon from before he left Winterfell with Robb ,or at least knew him from the campaign.It would have to be someone who knew Theon's life with the Starks was much more "familial" than many hostages would enjoy, that he was really treated more like a ward than a hostage. I don't think people from Westeros throw the term " kinslayer " around lightly , reviled as kinslayers are .So the fact that the hooded man uses that term implies that he had considered Theon part of the Stark family by extension , making him kinslayer as well as turncloak (which anyone might call him ).

I doubt anyone would call him kinslayer because of the Ironmen he convinced to surrender to Ramsey.. unless there had been Greyjoys or maternal relatives among them. And although the Boltons have put the blame on him for Rodrik Cassel's death no one calls him kinslayer on Rodrik's account , only on Bran's and Rickon's.

Also, when the HM asks Theon how it is he still lives , it implies the HM has not had any information or rumours about his captivity, and had been thinking Theon had been killed. It says to me that the HM had no inkling Theon was alive at least up until the wedding, and perhaps until the very moment he meets Theon in the snowstorm.( Perhaps he had to stay hidden during the ceremony , or perhaps he arrived afterwards ..)

I could see the HM being Glover or Harwin , I suppose.. but the two most satisfying candidates for me are the Blackfish or Benjen..There's just something about the way he speaks and acts toward Theon that makes him feel like a very experienced and intelligent man...not that G.G isn't , necessarily..I don't know, maybe the BF and BJ already have an aura of men of mystery that just fits with the HM.. ;) Of the two I still lean toward Ben , now that I don't think he's Coldhands...and there must be a Stark in Winterfell , and he's more likely to know his way around the crypts. And if it's him, surely Bran wasn't the only child who grew up in Winterfell who could have dicovered the secret way through the walls to outside... especially a wild and adventurous child ?

The Blackfish may feel a blood tie to "Arya" but he'd be unfamiliar with Winterfell and I'd think he'd be somehow trying to have some effect on the situation in the Riverlands..? Still, possible..

I like the idea that it could be Benjen. I'm sure that's a wild fantasy, but it would explain why the hooded man refers to Theon as kinslayer knowing how close Theon was to his foster "brothers", and he certainly knew Theon on sight. I'm not sure that could be said of the Blackfish who, while he may have known Theon was a ward/hostage of Eddard, would not have thought of him as a "brother" to Bran and Rickon.

I think Benjen would know better than probably anyone else alive how to sneak in and out of Winterfell, and being a ranger for the Night's Watch how to get around in the snow stealtily. He might also have to conceal his identity as a "deserter" from the Nights Watch until he's ready to risk revealing himself.

That kind of kills the whole theory, I think. Also I seem to think that he was too short to fit the description?

At no point is the hooded man's height mentioned. All that is mentioned is that they come face-to-face, which doesn't imply they are of the same height, only that they're standing directly facing each other.

Also, it occurs to me that even if Davos (or whoever the hooded man is) hadn't ever seen Theon in his life, he could well have glimpsed him at some other point while in hiding at Winterfell. For example, if he had come in through the crypts then he may have been there when Theon went down there with Lady Dustin. On re-reading the scene, there really isn't any surprise in the hooded man's words when he addresses Theon. He's not surprised that he's alive at all, just wondering how it came to be. His hand goes to his dagger, but that isn't necessarily out of surprise at seeing Theon alive, it could simply be out of surprise at encountering Theon (or anyone of importance) out wandering in this snowstorm while he's sneaking around hoping not to be seen under cover of darkness and snowfall.

One possible thing about the Theon theory: I don't know if it was just me, but when Theon had his own chapters, he seemed almost sane. Obviously not all there, but not, in my mind, the kind of person who would have split personalities. But, when I read this theory, one thing came to mind. In Asha's last chapter, Theon comes in at the end. This is the first time we've seen Reek/Theon through the eyes of another POV. He only had two lines at the very end, but they stuck with me. It suddenly became believable at that point for me. He just seemed really, really crazy. A lot crazier than in his own POVs. I'm not sure if anyone else shared that opinion, but I thought I'd share my idea on this and hadn't seen it in here yet.

Archived