Characters underserved by the adaptation

j52y

I saw the show before reading the books so my viewpoint might be a little skewed, but I thought most of the actors fit the character roles pretty well, except for Renly now that I had read the books. It is more than just the looks but a little bit of the character like everyone had said. My biggest concern is in the books he seemed very in control and strong, like someone who wants to be king would be.

In the show, he seemed a bit whiny, self-entitled, and somewhat manipulated, like "My boyfriend says I'm king material and he will fight for me, so I wanna be king!" Then again, I am not fond of Renly in either the books or the show.

The actor who plays Theon is not very attractive, in my opinion; and I pictured Theon as being good-looking. He is a good actor, at least with the few lines he's been given.

I sort of agree, Theon is another character I pictured physically differently after reading the books is Theon. I don't know why, but I pictured Theon in the books as this hot, bad boy type character, dark and handsome like this:

http://fav.me/d3a31ne

However, even if Alfie Allen doesn't physically embody the Theon I imagine from the books, he embodies Theon in every other way. He's got the swagger, cockiness, somewhat a bit of jerk, and desperately wants approval and validation, just from the little screen time he's been given. I know he is going to fantastic with Theon's upcoming story arc. He may not be conventionally attractive by tv standards, but the actor does have a way about him when playing Theon I do find sexy. Let's just say I wouldn't disagree to another Theon sex scene.

To me three actors stand out as miscast : Sansa, Joffrey, and Arya. Both Sansa and Joffrey were depicted in the books as beautiful in Sansa's case and tall and "comely" in Joffrey's. Both actors physically missed the mark. And while the actress who portrayed Arya was fantastic, she certainly wasn't "horse-faced", which I think was an important element to her book character.

To me three actors stand out as miscast : Sansa, Joffrey, and Arya. Both Sansa and Joffrey were depicted in the books as beautiful in Sansa's case and tall and "comely" in Joffrey's. Both actors physically missed the mark. And while the actress who portrayed Arya was fantastic, she certainly wasn't "horse-faced", which I think was an important element to her book character.

You're never going to find actors who matches everyone's own ideals/images from the books - acting ability is far more important, and they are are very good child actors, which is very very hard to find.

Besides, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what people find attractive differs wildly.

You're never going to find actors who matches everyone's own ideals/images from the books - acting ability is far more important, and they are are very good child actors, which is very very hard to find.

Besides, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what people find attractive differs wildly.

I would agree, however it's not just a question of my personal ideal or image of Sansa or Joffrey. Sansa' s beauty, for example, was mentioned repeatedly in the book and her beauty was compared favorably to Margery's by Tyrion . When Brienne searched for her she did so by mentioning her beauty as if that would be something strangers would notice. Does Sansa's TV actress fit that bill? Hardly! Further, her character is one of the most prominent, and judging by the preliminary title of the last book in the series( Return of the Wolves) possibly the last character standing.

And did the actor who portrayed Joffrey seem like the tall handsome Prince Sansa would initially fall for, or as a small, whiney punk?

I realize that GOT was working with a realitively small budget, and one can overlook the nonexistent battle scenes for instance, but characters are crucial to audience buy-in .

I think Sophie is absolutely beautiful!!! And I love her height too, Sansa does grow 3 inches in one year after all. Just like with Rory as the Hound, his face doesn't look like the face described in the books, however, his hugeness and rough sounding voice I think is more important to my overall impression of the character, not to mention they are all great actors!

Also Dany, I can't stand when people complain that she looked chubbier than she should have, she looks great, and she is so petite especially next to Drogo, it makes him look even huger, and they just end up looking better together.

Beauty is subjective. I happen to think the actress who plays Sansa is a beautiful girl -- even model-esque. For being so young, she towers over many of the cast members and fits the conventional mold for a beautiful girl...meaning, I see girls like her on magazine covers all the time.

As for Arya, I do not think being "horse-faced" is that important for the character. The most important trait is being a tomboy. Horse-faced was just a convenient way for GRRM to describe a trait which serves as an example of how she isn't conventionally attractive as a child.

I wasn't crazy about Renly. But, I'm willing to give this version a chance in season 2. They're definitely trying to use a different approach with him. I just hope they aren't going to go too campy with him. I'd prefer him if he wasn't a glaring stereotype.

Cersei seemed off. I have a very hard time picturing Lena Headey as the arrogant, spiteful, vainglorious super-bitch that she's supposed to be portraying. She came across as just... a little tired. It might pick up in S2 though.

Lol, she does just come across as indifferent. I was watching Revenge and the woman who plays Victoria Greyson is what I'd imagine Cersei to be. She's perfect for the role, Lena needs to watch Revenge for tips.

I too was disappointed in Renly's casting as well as Loras. Loras is suppose to be a knight, instead he's this frail little hipster and not at all handsome imo.

And what happened to Dareon? He's suppose to be the singer at the wall along with Sam, Pyp, Jon at the same time. He's an important character to show I think, just for the fact that he's the guy who gets killed by Arya, lol.

Loras starts as a squire for the King, he probably got knighted prematurely for sexing Cersei. As for Renly I mostly agree.

And I have to say I like Lena Headly as Cersei, she is so beautiful, I love watching her and Catelyn, the strained look I see, but it feels like Cersei is always biting her tongue once we do get into her head so it sort of fits with her character. IMO

I enjoy Lena as Cersei also. She plays the role with a nuance I wish book Cersei had. Book Cersei, for me, is pretty bland. I don't find her compelling...she's single-minded in her pursuits and not particularly all that sharp. There's a mystique to Lena's Cersei that I really enjoy. She's cold, but you know there's a ton going on beneath the surface. It's a departure from the books, but it's one I prefer.

I stand corrected. I went back to clips of the actress who plays Sansa and she is indeed pretty. After doing the same for Joffrey's actor however, I'd have to stand by my earlier comments of him.

And as to Arya, I agree, whether or not she's prettier than her book character is less important. She is an excellent actress, and IMO the best of the children actors. Being new to the books, I'm having the unusual problem of trying to reconcile book characters to their respective actors.

Does anyone know how much, if any, influence Martin had over either casting or the script. I think I remember reading that he was given one episode to write. It would be surprising to find that he would have wanted the actor who portrayed Renley, who lacked the charisma to inspire the love and support of so many.

Loras starts as a squire for the King, he probably got knighted prematurely for sexing Cersei. As for Renly I mostly agree.

And I have to say I like Lena Headly as Cersei, she is so beautiful, I love watching her and Catelyn, the strained look I see, but it feels like Cersei is always biting her tongue once we do get into her head so it sort of fits with her character. IMO

Renly. All he is in the show is a fairy boy who is afraid of blood, not at all the handsome, devil-may-care knight man of the books.

Totally agree. Renly in the book was supposed to look like the mighty dashing Robert Baratheon when he was in his prime - but instead they portrayed him as a simpering tragic rent boy.

They should have chosen another actor like James D'Arcy, or James Purefoy.

Agree about Cersei. I understanded people expected Scarlett Johannsen-level beauty but the unnervingly calm presence she brings into a scene, especially when walking into an ongoing conversation, is almost frightening. I do expect her to devolve to unsettled mad Cersei as the show progresses but it will be much more satisfying then in the novels . Once she got her POV's in the books my reaction was pretty much "Man she seems like a crazy bitch, can't wait to see what's actually going on in her hea....oooh, she is just a crazy bitch after all!"

Still felt bad about her walk of shame though

Cersei seemed off. I have a very hard time picturing Lena Headey as the arrogant, spiteful, vainglorious super-bitch that she's supposed to be portraying. She came across as just... a little tired. It might pick up in S2 though.

I don't dislike Headey and she actually seems lively in the brief RL videos I've seen of her, but her Cersei was a disappointment. She was just so sour, and like you say, tired. No fire. I understand that they'd want to make Cersei smarter than in the books in order to make the role more attractive, but I never expected Cersei, even with an IQ upgrade, to end up being meh. GOT has a lot of actors who can show emotion without speaking, but Cersei's neutral face when she read the letter about Jaime's capture stood out as a massive disappointment. Lancel wasn't even looking at her then! A bit of a reaction, please.

I guess I'm the only one that wasn't totally blown away by the awesomeness and sexiness that is Book 1 Renly. I really felt he was barely in it. Mot i remembered him for was getting pwned by Sansa in an argument in his introduction. Nevertheless, series Renly felt very insecure, which isn't accurate. As for how loved he is, well he's the only guy in King's Landing Sean Bean didn't immediately take steps to alienate in King's Landing so there's that. In appearance he's buyable as a younger, more handsome and fit Mark Addy, and Addy is pretty awesome as Robert so they were a package deal. Loras I would say is pretty much an entirely different person, though.

Archived