ASOIF fan art

mor2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, of course I love fanart, and I'm not trying to stir shit. But, why is fanart allowed when fanfiction isn't? I mean, if it's a financial thing, people can more easily make money off fanart than fanfiction, like selling prints and stuff. If it's a question of having characters do what isn't canon, there are plenty of fanarts of things that never happened, like the shipping fanarts. Is it just a question of it being a different medium than the books?

I'm just trying to understand the logic of it.

So, of course I love fanart, and I'm not trying to stir shit. But, why is fanart allowed when fanfiction isn't? I mean, if it's a financial thing, people can more easily make money off fanart than fanfiction, like selling prints and stuff. If it's a question of having characters do what isn't canon, there are plenty of fanarts of things that never happened, like the shipping fanarts. Is it just a question of it being a different medium than the books?

Not sure, I think it's because GRRM is openly against fanfiction. I dont know what he thinks about fanart.

There's none. Simply, GRRM personally opposes fanfiction and this board respects his wishes.

Yeah I know he's against fanfiction, but why not fanart as well?

I believe he mentioned in his Not A Blog something about emotional reactions. He creates a character in a certain way, and as such he just doesn't tolerate reading his characters doing things they'd never do, or thinking things that they'd never think, the way he idealized them. Some writer once (Galbadon?) compared characters to children, and no one messes with my children, and he agreed.

Plus, there's the fact that he believes writing fanfiction actually hurts potential writers' development, and as such, is against it as well. And there's the matter of copyright.

Bottom line, it's a bunch of things thrown together and the best chance you have of having them answered is addressing George directly. For now, it's really best to drop the issue.

I believe he mentioned in his Not A Blog something about emotional reactions. He creates a character in a certain way, and as such he just doesn't tolerate reading his characters doing things they'd never do, or thinking things that they'd never think, the way he idealized them. Some writer once (Galbadon?) compared characters to children, and no one messes with my children, and he agreed.

Plus, there's the fact that he believes writing fanfiction actually hurts potential writers' development, and as such, is against it as well. And there's the matter of copyright.

Bottom line, it's a bunch of things thrown together and the best chance you have of having them answered is addressing George directly. For now, it's really best to drop the issue.

I'm asking about his stance re: fanart, not fanfiction. If you don't know, that's fine, but it's rude to tell me to "drop the issue".

I'm asking about his stance re: fanart, not fanfiction. If you don't know, that's fine, but it's rude to tell me to "drop the issue".

His stance in fanart is "cool, do it", since he, at one time, he mentioned receiving a fan art calendar and called it a "labor of love" or somethign similar. You were, tough, asking "why fanart and not fanfiction", and I tried to answer that to my best.

The advice to "drop the issue" is because it's against the rules to discuss fanfiction here. If you want to continue, tough, be my guest.

His stance in fanart is "cool, do it", since he, at one time, he mentioned receiving a fan art calendar and called it a "labor of love" or somethign similar. You were, tough, asking "why fanart and not fanfiction", and I tried to answer that to my best.

The advice to "drop the issue" is because it's against the rules to discuss fanfiction here. If you want to continue, tough, be my guest.

Actually my question was to why fanart was allowed at all when fanfiction isn't, in other words, "why fanart", not "why not fanfiction". I'm not questioning his stance on fanfiction but rather on fanart.

I hope my english is understandable, and if it's not, please be indulgent :)

Fanart is a strange terminology in this case to define making a picture from a book. I feel that as a natural exercise in style for a sf or fantasy book to transform the text in visual art.

I would not put on the same level. The fanart wich are on a transformation from an other source that is already designed to be visual (picture comic book, movie). Because you are constrain the work of somebody else, and create something new that is out from the original. Some author could be uncomfortable with that. It must be the same to transform a text or an idea into an otherone (if i understand what fanfiction means...).

I think the diference could be in the fact to be in or out from the original work. The interpretation or the transformation...

Archived