What would you wield/wear into combat?

Iron Captain

I'm sure this has been done before, but I'm new and I can't get the search to work.

So I'm here to ask: If you lived during aSoIaF, and had any resources available to you, how would you equip yourself for battle? You can wield something from the books (Ice, Dawn, Longclaw, Robert's Warhammer) or describe a unique weapon. I would think most people would wear full plate/mail, but if you'd like then you can describe armor too!

If you just can't picture yourself the fighting type, what do you think would be the best equipment for an average knight/fighter to wear? Single combat or on the battlefield, makes no matter just explain your reasoning.

I'd wear full heavy plate, with mail and boiled leather underneath. For a shield I'd go with a heavy oaken one (They don't seem to use steel shields in Westeros?), and for my weapon a single handed axe which of course would be forged with valyrian steel (I'd love for one of these to turn up in the last two books). And instead of a dagger I'd keep a shortsword on my belt in case my shield was shattered.

I doubt i'd be the most mobile of fighters, but i'd sacrifice that for extra protection any day. What would you guys go with?

I'm clumsy and not all that strong, so I'd probably carry a light bludgeoning weapon like a light mace. Again, due to the strenght issue plate is out of the question so I guess I would opt for chain and leather and take Tyrion's advice regarding helmets. I'd keep a good sized dagger on me too.

I'm sure this has been done before, but I'm new and I can't get the search to work.

So I'm here to ask: If you lived during aSoIaF, and had any resources available to you, how would you equip yourself for battle? You can wield something from the books (Ice, Dawn, Longclaw, Robert's Warhammer) or describe a unique weapon. I would think most people would wear full plate/mail, but if you'd like then you can describe armor too!

If you just can't picture yourself the fighting type, what do you think would be the best equipment for an average knight/fighter to wear? Single combat or on the battlefield, makes no matter just explain your reasoning.

I'd wear full heavy plate, with mail and boiled leather underneath. For a shield I'd go with a heavy oaken one (They don't seem to use steel shields in Westeros?), and for my weapon a single handed axe which of course would be forged with valyrian steel (I'd love for one of these to turn up in the last two books). And instead of a dagger I'd keep a shortsword on my belt in case my shield was shattered.

I doubt i'd be the most mobile of fighters, but i'd sacrifice that for extra protection any day. What would you guys go with?

A fast horse in the other direction??

You ain't catching me in a battle, no way! Call it craven, I call it smart.

I'd wear a Pittsburgh Steelers jersey over a chainmail byrnie and wield a bottle opener.

Seriously though? Dragonbone bow and arrows dipped in Crannogshit. That hand-to-hand combat is for suckers. Ask Tyrion, he'll tell you.

Assuming I also get the training necessary to use it all?

Full plate armor, naturally ... "keeping it light" is a good way to "keep it dead"; full plate is objectively superior protection, and the degree to which it slows you is actually negligible.

Probably for a weapon, a polearm or zweihander? Valyrian steel, of course. But definitely something two-handed. Using a shield while clad in full plate is fairly redundant; better to use a longer, more effective weapon. A bow would be good, too.

Since I get any resources I like, I'll also take a helping of sorcerous training. Can't go wrong with that.

Oh, and a dragon. You did say any resources.

So now I'm a plate-clad, Valyrian steel-wielding mage riding a dragon. Right. Looks legit.

When you are wearing full plate armor and mail, a shield is superfluous since attacks will do little and less to you, unless they hit a critical point (e.g. joint). It's something that Martin, perhaps intentionally, has overlooked as well: why would Gregor and Victarion use shields, when they're covered in heavy and thick plate from head to heel with mail underneth...?

Archived