Small Questions on ADWD II

mormont

In the first Bran POV of ADWD Coldhands leaves the group to backtrack and take care of some foes. We learn they are of the NW. Is this one of the ranging parties sent out from Castle Black, if so, which one? Who is the 'one handed' Ranger?

In the first Bran POV of ADWD Coldhands leaves the group to backtrack and take care of some foes. We learn they are of the NW. Is this one of the ranging parties sent out from Castle Black, if so, which one? Who is the 'one handed' Ranger?

Ollo Lophand - one of the deserters at Craster's Keep. He is the one who stabbed Jeor Mormont during the mutiny.

I guess we can probably add him to the list of the ADwD dead.

My question involves something complicated....is it possible Ashara Dayne's baby was the one who was switched with Aegon in order for the prince to escape?

Here is my theory on that topic:

(Note: shameless self-promotion for my own flagging topic!!)

I've got a question. Is Beric Dondarrion dead now? They tell the Frey that his light passed to cat but one of the people there had one eye, the same when they had Brienne too, there was a guy with one eye and Beric lost bis eye fighting the mountain but then why would they lie to some frey they're gonna hang anyway, perhaps they have many one eyed friends but i doubt it.

I've got a question. Is Beric Dondarrion dead now? They tell the Frey that his light passed to cat but one of the people there had one eye, the same when they had Brienne too, there was a guy with one eye and Beric lost bis eye fighting the mountain but then why would they lie to some frey they're gonna hang anyway, perhaps they have many one eyed friends but i doubt it.

“You ride with the Dondarrion. The lightning lord.”

“Lightning comes and goes and then is seen no more. So too with men. Lord Beric’s fire has gone out of this world, I fear. A grimmer shadow leads us in his place.”

I don't remember who the one-eyed guy is, but it's Dondarrion's death that's allowed Lady Stoneheart to take control of the Brotherhood and determine its direction. When Arya is a captive of the BWB, UnBeric makes repeated reference to how he's been brought back too many times, implication being that he's getting weaker. It makes sense from that point of view that giving Catelyn the final kiss was too much for him; whatever magic it involved left him unable to sustain himself. One assumes that Dondarrion would have something to say about her idea of "justice", and I don't see Thoros choosing UnCat over UnBeric.

The one-eyed guy is Jack-Be-Lucky.

Are there any theories or threads about how Roose Bolton might be (or become) Night's King or The Big Bad Other? The more re-reading I do, the more horrfied I am. I always took Roose as a dangerous person, but also rather as a figure for (dark) comic relief. But after ADWD... If there is a Big Bad personification at work in the books, it should be him, right? Has this been discussed on 'supernatural' terms (like the leeching, the strange appearance, the white skin...)?

The Nights King was the 13th LC of the NW and they are now at 998th LC. Not likely Roose is the Nights King unless he is like 7,500 years old. I have a hard time envisioning how Roose would get inducted into the NW. He wouldn't go voluntarily and even if Tommen commanded it, Roose would ignore the command. Even if somehow he was captured and taken there in chains, it is not likely the NW would elect him as LC.

This is all to say that the likelihood of Roose ever being the Night King is nil.

Roose is the medieval equivalent of Hannibal Lechter, except I don't think he eats his enemies at least knowingly. Frey pie exception.

The Nights King was the 13th LC of the NW and they are now at 998th LC. Not likely Roose is the Nights King unless he is like 7,500 years old. I have a hard time envisioning how Roose would get inducted into the NW. He wouldn't go voluntarily and even if Tommen commanded it, Roose would ignore the command. Even if somehow he was captured and taken there in chains, it is not likely the NW would elect him as LC.

This is all to say that the likelihood of Roose ever being the Night King is nil.

Roose is the medieval equivalent of Hannibal Lechter, except I don't think he eats his enemies at least knowingly. Frey pie exception.

I thought more like some people expect Jon to be AA reborn, Roose might be NK reborn - or something like that. The story need not be exactly the same (with him being the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch), but some of it (Joramun of the Free Folk and a Stark of Winterfell fighting him together) sounds so damn right to me...

The one-eyed guy is Jack-Be-Lucky.

Ahhhhh, thanks. It made all the sense it the world to me that Beric was gone too but i remebered this one eyed guy,i even double checked last night lol. But it's Jack be lucky then that explains italothugh he can't be that lucky if he's only got one eye.

If Roslin Frey is so pretty, what was Walder Frey saving her for?

It couldn't have been Robb as it was assumed he had to take one of the females regardless of what they looked like.

He could hardly have anticipated Edmure to come courting. (And why give him Roslin anyway? Like Robb he had no choice.)

Is she even a real Frey? Out of so many children, grand children, great grand-children (?), why should just one be good-looking?

It couldn't have been Robb as it was assumed he had to take one of the females regardless of what they looked like.

He could hardly have anticipated Edmure to come courting. (And why give him Roslin anyway? Like Robb he had no choice.)

Is she even a real Frey? Out of so many children, grand children, great grand-children (?), why should just one be good-looking?

I can of course only wildly speculate, but it does seem quite plausible to me overall: Roslin isn't described as the finest beauty in Westeros, though she's quite fine for a Stark and not the one-eyed hag that Edmure expected. Walder Frey didn't give her away yet cause she's still quite young and maybe he didn't want to squander her on some lower lordling and hadn't gotten an adequately high lord yet. After he felt betrayed by Robb's marriage, his revenge (& plot to get Riverrun for his offspring!) was probably what he felt was one of his most important enterprises of his life. Probably felt giving Roslin was worth it to make sure that Edmure didn't get cold feet. Yes, Edmure didn't have a choice really, but Walder may have wanted to make doubly sure it went without a hitch.

Robb was (supposed to be) given a choice. That's part of the reason that Edmure was moping, since he wasn't offered the same choice as Robb (would have been).

Ollo Lophand - one of the deserters at Craster's Keep. He is the one who stabbed Jeor Mormont during the mutiny.

I guess we can probably add him to the list of the ADwD dead.

Coldhands killed Mormont's killer - I LOVE IT. I missed that; thank you.

Also good to know that Coldhands considers the NW traitors to be his enemies.

Archived