Areo Hotah

7V3N

He would have been a great Mountain! Sure, he isn't white white, but dressed in armour, ethnicity is hard to see anyway.

I totally disagree with this statement as well. I don't care about his skin color, but first off he has no muscle on his lower body. I am an avid wrestling fan and even though it has disgusted me over the past few years I still tune in and The Great Kali is utterly terrible. He can barely move let alone walk down to the ring. He such a slow and awkward walk. The mountain moves decently for his size. Plus yet again you can't understand him when he talks. Well the mountain never talks you say. He did for the Red Viper. And people need to be able to understand him for that statement. Conan Stevens was and forever will be the best choice for the mountain in my opinion.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not even sure if he'll be in it. Seriously he's like the most pointless POV character ever, he only managed to miss out on that title by killing Arys and keeping him down to two chapters.

He's not pointless, per se. His chapters were about Doran, not about Hotah. The "point" of giving Hotah a POV was for the reader to have access to Doran.

Since the shows aren't chained to the limited POV structure, he is far less important. But they should still cast him; otherwise they will need to replace him with a strong, badass, loyal Dornish guard/warrior who will kill Arys and imprison the sandsnakes. Get Kimbo Slice to play him or someone like that. ;-)

I always imagine Ray Winstone, he's gruff and has a great physical presence and seems about the right age. Tcheky Karyo and Rade Serbedzija also could fit the part and have accents that are appropriately exotic. Additionally, I would like to see Michael Wincott show up somewhere in the series.

Michael Wincott would make a great Red Viper imo.

He's not pointless, per se. His chapters were about Doran, not about Hotah. The "point" of giving Hotah a POV was for the reader to have access to Doran.

Exactly. He's just a dull ambitionless guardsman standing by to 'provide access' to someone, meaning he himself, doesn't have much of a role story-wise.

Anyway, Richard Burgi is the closest to how I envision Areo.

I always imagine Ray Winstone, he's gruff and has a great physical presence and seems about the right age. Tcheky Karyo and Rade Serbedzija also could fit the part and have accents that are appropriately exotic. Additionally, I would like to see Michael Wincott show up somewhere in the series.

Ray definitely has the look but one of his best qualities is the things he says and Areo isn't much of a talker. Tcheky Karyo could work, Rade Serbedzija to a leaser extent. I like him, but he just doesn't seem right for the role. Michael Wincott would have been a great Red Viper in the 90's I don't know about today.

Michael Wincott would make a great Red Viper imo.

Exactly. He's just a dull ambitionless guardsman standing by to 'provide access' to someone, meaning he himself, doesn't have much of a role story-wise.

Anyway, Richard Burgi is the closest to how I envision Areo.

Richard Burgi is too...I don't want to say pretty,so...good looking...yeah I'll go with that. He's too good looking for Areo.

• 2 months later...

I could see Sam Elliot or Donald Sutherland playing him.

DS did Pillars of the Earth so he's definitely not restricted to A-list film roles.

So you are suggesting having two actors one that is 68 years old and the other that is 77 years old, to play a character that is younger and in good physical shape. Sam Elliot MIGHT be able to do some of the movements needed for the role, but there is no way Donald Sutherland could. DS might be able to play a Maester, but not a Captain of the guards that very swiftly decapitated a man.

Archived