[ADwD Spoilers] Could the Stone Dragons Melisandre was talking about really be...

Liam Kin

Ice Dragons, ok so im 100% sure stannis is not azor ahai I mean come on, really, stannis? Ice is like stone and there was many references to the ice dragons and not only in adwd but in GoT too and also the title is Ice and Fire which suggest the ice dragons and fire dragons are going to duke it out at the end for an epic battle. I'm thinking jon's gonna warg into ghost set off beyond the wall and find some ice dragons, that would be the frosting to my cake if that happened.

We've heard more than character refer to "waking the dragon" as a temper or anger. Its entirely possible that AA won't wake an actual dragon but drive a dragon (ie a Targaryen) to some action they wouldn't otherwise have done. Think of Jojens green dream of Bran as a winged wolf in stone chains and the 3eyed crow was trying to break him free.

Bran wasn't actually chained up... but the "prophecy" if it had been written down by a scholar would have read like Jojen described it.

Maybe it is some Valyrian phrase that got carried over by the Targaryens that refers to the revival of Valyria? There are still ruins standing on the landscape and people are still freaked out about traveling along its roads (to the point they would risk drowning at sea during an autumn storm) so I can't imagine such a city just being left to go by without anyone investigating it in the next two books.

In my opinion, the stone dragons at Dragonstone are real Dragons petrified by Greyscale. I was surprised that Greyscale was featured so prominently in this book. My guess is that Azor Azhai has the ability to cure greyscale (if we believe Jon is it, he could test it on the lil Princess). Maybe Greyscale is some sort of biological warfare that was created by the Citadel to counter the threat dragons posed. This could explain why we see it most prominently near Valyria and at Dragonstone. It affecting humans may only be a side effect.

The prophecy actually doesn't refer to Stone Dragons. The exact words are "waking Dragons from Stone".

Now, in the Old Tongue, Skagos means Stone. Hence I wonder whether someone won't perhaps be waking some sleeping dragons on the mysterious, hostile and as yet unexplored Isle of Skagos.

On good spot didn't realise that, Now rickon with a dragon and a direwolf pack wouldn't that be fun.

Heres another idea to muse. Loras is a warrior and is on dragonstone very ill near death we are lead to believe. Perhaps his recovery there will also be linked with one of the stone dragons been woken and him being reborn amid fire and salt to be AA.

On good spot didn't realise that, Now rickon with a dragon and a direwolf pack wouldn't that be fun.

Heres another idea to muse. Loras is a warrior and is on dragonstone very ill near death we are lead to believe. Perhaps his recovery there will also be linked with one of the stone dragons been woken and him being reborn amid fire and salt to be AA.

Jon or Dany are AA

The prophecy actually doesn't refer to Stone Dragons. The exact words are "waking Dragons from Stone".

Now, in the Old Tongue, Skagos means Stone. Hence I wonder whether someone won't perhaps be waking some sleeping dragons on the mysterious, hostile and as yet unexplored Isle of Skagos.

I hadn't thought of that. Of course, Stone could also mean Dragonstone. Since the prophecy talks about "waking" dragons, they're probably lying dormant somewhere. Maybe Victarion's horn could be used to wake them ?

Didn't "waking dragons from stone" pretty much just refer to petrified dragon eggs giving birth to live dragons? Like what happened in book one? There was king's blood, blood sacrifice, comet to herald AA being reborn from fire, etc. Everything that Mel was talking about to show that Stannis was AA reborn was a description of what had just happened to Dany. It's how Martin told the reader that Stannis wasn't the real AA and Mel was misinterpreting the prophecies.

Then Aemon went and figured out that everyone had been looking in the wrong place with Rhaegar and Dany was the saviour they'd all been waiting for. It's been made pretty straightforward that Dany is the one everything's talking about.

We've heard more than character refer to "waking the dragon" as a temper or anger. Its entirely possible that AA won't wake an actual dragon but drive a dragon (ie a Targaryen) to some action they wouldn't otherwise have done. Think of Jojens green dream of Bran as a winged wolf in stone chains and the 3eyed crow was trying to break him free.

Bran wasn't actually chained up... but the "prophecy" if it had been written down by a scholar would have read like Jojen described it.

I actually subscribe to a line of thinking more like this, with "stone dragons" having to do more with a Targaryen identity, and not with actual real dragons. Also, if you subscribe to the R+L=J theory, then Jon himself may be the "ice dragon." If Jon has an as-yet-unrealized Targaryen identity, him coming to terms with it would, I think, symbolically qualify as "waking a stone dragon."

I think people are hamstringing themselves by only focusing on literal interpretations.

Didn't "waking dragons from stone" pretty much just refer to petrified dragon eggs giving birth to live dragons? Like what happened in book one? There was king's blood, blood sacrifice, comet to herald AA being reborn from fire, etc. Everything that Mel was talking about to show that Stannis was AA reborn was a description of what had just happened to Dany. It's how Martin told the reader that Stannis wasn't the real AA and Mel was misinterpreting the prophecies.

Then Aemon went and figured out that everyone had been looking in the wrong place with Rhaegar and Dany was the saviour they'd all been waiting for. It's been made pretty straightforward that Dany is the one everything's talking about.

I actually think Dany is a double bluff. She was used to let us know that Stannis wasn't really AA, but she fits it a little too perfectly and peaked a little too early. So I don't think it's her, either, just because it's so obvious that it is, if that makes sense. I don't think she's the "beautiful younger queen" in Cersei's prophecy, either — Cersei thinks it's Margaery and readers are led to believe it's Dany, and really it's neither.

Interesting thought occurs to me here. Its died down a bit lately but there used to be a lot of speculation as to what Illyrio (and Varys) are really up to.

Dany is a good candidate for AA, having been born on Dragonstone, which GRRM assures us twice in two consecutive pages is smoking and surrounded by the salt sea. Illyrio is aware of this. Maesters, we know, have telescopes and presumably could see the red comet approaching long before ordinary mortals. Illyrio has dragon eggs from Asshai. They are represented as ancient, but Bran has seen live dragons out there, so they could be fresh. Does Illyrio know this? We have been told different versions of the AA prophecy which are generally consistent but differ in detail and each add something different. Does Illyrio know the full version and is he giving the whole thing a nudge by presenting the girl born amidst smoke and salt with fresh dragon eggs as the red star approaches and is this why he and Varys were concerned that the timing of the war in Westeros was premature?

Interesting thought occurs to me here. Its died down a bit lately but there used to be a lot of speculation as to what Illyrio (and Varys) are really up to. Dany is a good candidate for AA, having been born on Dragonstone, which GRRM assures us twice in two consecutive pages is smoking and surrounded by the salt sea. Illyrio is aware of this. Maesters, we know, have telescopes and presumably could see the red comet approaching long before ordinary mortals. Illyrio has dragon eggs from Asshai. They are represented as ancient, but Bran has seen live dragons out there, so they could be fresh. Does Illyrio know this? We have been told different versions of the AA prophecy which are generally consistent but differ in detail and each add something different. Does Illyrio know the full version and is he giving the whole thing a nudge by presenting the girl born amidst smoke and salt with fresh dragon eggs as the red star approaches and is this why he and Varys were concerned that the timing of the war in Westeros was premature?

I think you're onto something here, but probably in a different way than you do. Dany fits so much of the AA criteria, but a lot of it could also be forced, if indeed Illyrio gave her the dragon eggs as a "nudge." I'm not sure that prophecies can be forced like that. It'd be hilarious if people actually worked hard and manipulated Dany into fitting the AA specs, and then she wasn't actually AA.

I actually agree with you. Dany looks like the right candidate which is why Illyrio (and Varys) may have given the prophecy a nudge, but it doesn't follow that she is the right one. It would indeed be funny if they were wrong and it is just the sort of sense of humour I'd expect from GRRM

It's been made pretty straightforward that Dany is the one everything's talking about.

Which is exactly why I don't think she is. It would seem kind of weird if the vast majority of the series was cryptic, yet the main prophesy to tie everything together is literal and obvious. Perhaps that will be the case, but I'm not buying it. Pretty much no one is quite who they say they are, or more importantly, who we think they are. If Dany is killed by Jhoqo, or Drogon, or someone, that would REALLY throw people off. People thought Ned and Robb were shocking... just wait until the Dragon Girl gets it.

If "wake dragons from stone" is more cryptic than literal, it could foreshadow a greyscale plague that will infect Westeros. Perhaps Cersei will handle it poorly (imagine that) and the people will rise up in support of Aegon & Connington (i.e. to wake dragons from stone). Just a thought.

Or, it could mean, "wake the Great Bastards (dragons) from Casterly Rock (stone)". If Jaime and Cersei are really Targ Great Bastards, the prophecy might have something to do with alerting them to that fact. We know Bloodraven and Daemon Blackfyre had a pretty major impact on the realm, and if Jaime is really a Targ Great Bastard, like Blackfyre, or Bloodraven, big things could be in store for him as well.

Archived