Do i have to read AGOT when i saw the serie first

eelcoheidema

It's much better to read all the books, even better if you can read them twice, 'cause when you read them first time, you just keep on reading, to see what's gonna happen, and sometimes you miss something which is actually important.

This is exactly what I'm doing right now. I had been intending to read the books for a couple years before the television series was announced, but I didn't get around to it until the show had started airing. About four episodes into the show, I finally picked up A Game of Thrones and finished the book before the season concluded. I completed A Feast for Crows about a week before A Dance with Dragons was released, and now I'm embarking on a second read.

I'm definitely glad I did read the books, rather than just watching the show, or attempting to jump to A Clash of Kings after having only watched season one without having read AGOT.

Anyone who just doesn't have the time to delve into the books should at least watch the histories that will be included on the DVD/BRD releases. It sounds like those should be pretty informative.

I've been listening to audiotapes when going to and from work.

I sometimes don't always focus as much as I should when enjoying this, yet I am still picking up so much more now that I have read through the series once, at a frantic pace.

This season will be my first where I have read the material before seeing it.

First time I was so shocked and awed.

• 3 weeks later...

After watching the series three times over, I am now in the process of starting (and hopefully finishing) book one before the second series airs. I personally find watching an adaptation then reading the source material the preferred order, as I find it is like reliving the series yet in much more detail.

I am only a few chapters in so far and I am already relishing the added depth - for example, I am kicking myself for not noticing the symbolism of the dead direwolf having been killed by a stag. The series didn't really imply any weight to this whereas the book certainly does.

I am also in the pool of fans that started the books post series, and I have to say that reading GoT is a must. It's just so well written and all the subtleties and details shouldn't be overlooked or missed. It also gives a great background for the characters. I've the series twice now and each time I find stuff in every book that I missed the first time around.

I began reading the books almost immediately after seeing the first couple of episodes of the HBO series. I had finished the ACoK (book two) by the time they finished the first series/season on HBO, and I had finished ADwD (book five) before the show became available on DVD/BD. There are plenty of differences but most of them are pretty minor. Now that I have the HBO version on DVD/BD I have been surprised at how many details there are in the show that I missed the first time simply because I did not know what I was seeing. Now that I am on my second read through pf the books I am able to aprreciate and enjoy what HBO has done much more. My suggestion is to absorb as much of the books and the TV series as is available, and don't sweat the differences.

Personally I like to think of books and their TV/Movie adaptations this way: The books are what really happened, the adaptations are basically what happened, but with the lapses and exaggerations you inevitably get when you try to recounted the story to someone who wasn't there.

Read and watch, and read again and watch again, pretty much ad nauseum. There is always more to absorb and it doesn't really get old, not to me anyway.

• 4 months later...

I think the show cannot do proper justice to the books, regarding season 2 they have drifted a lot from the books which is really bad i think the show is going to end up like true blood, starting with a bang and then down the drain.

Archived