Could Robb have won?

Talleyrand

And if the Greyjoy's suddenly decide to attack from the Northwest?

They didn't decide to attack the North in the books when Robb's host got slaughtered and there wasn't really anyone left to defend it, so why would they now that Robb is still alive and Rodrik was going around clearing out the occupied territory?

The Greyjoys would do just as they did in the book, there's no reason they wouldn't.

Simply, if the Freys had been placated with the marriage of Edmure and Roslin, and Bolton without support from Walder had not gone through with his betrayal could Robb forced the Ironmen out of the North and then found some form of success in the south?

No.

In theory he could have held the North, but there is no way he could take the south. I say in theory because you dont account for his biggest adversary e.g. GRRM, sorry plot must go on.

• 2 months later...

assuming this is before the lannister/tyrell alliance, robb could have easily won. If Edmure didn't go all heroic on us and try to "save" the riverlands, tywin would have marched on robb and his army and probably (assuming all went according to robb/blackfish's plan) would have been defeated, this would have been the end of the lannisters and then the fight would have been with the iron islands and stannis. Stannis would have conquered kings landing and ALL of the lannisters would be dead. Dorne probably still would be neutral, possibly waiting for dany. The red wedding wouldn't have happened because of the lannister defeat, Roose Bolton would not have tried to betray Robb because of lack of support from the lannisters, therefore Ser Rodrik would have taken care of the north and the ironmen, leaving robb not having to march back north himself. This leaves us Stannis, Robb, and Balon fighting for the crown. The tyrells probably would have then sided with the north seeing as they could marry maergery to robb (long shot since he met jeyne) or even loras to sansa assuming stannis hadn't killed her after he took kings landing. Dorne again would probably do nothing this whole time. And assuming the tyrells ally with robb, the north wins the iron throne along with highgarden, because stannis would not be able to withstand those combined forces and the ironborn would probably not be too much of a factor. So in conclusion, if Edmure the idiot didn't try and stop tywin and his army from reaching Robb, the north wins the iron throne.

God do I hate Edmure...

The only thing that puzzles me is why didn't robb or the blackfish tell edmure of their plans before they left...

Well, what probably would have happened is Robb would try to make peace with Stannis afer conquering all but the Iron Islands, the Reach, Stormlands, and Dorne. Stannis would have KL since Tywin would be dead or captured. With Tywin dead, the Tyrells would ally Stannis or (more likely) the North, the Freys would be too scared to betray Robb, Roose Bolton too wise to betray him. Dorne would agree to peace with Robb if they were sent the heads of The Mountain and Tywin Lannister. Stannis would have KL and Storm's End, Dorne would be independent, Robb would have the North, the Riverlands, and the West. Stannis is the wild card. If he realized it was a suicide to fight Robb, he would be content with the East. If he did his usual "It is mine by right, so I must take it," Then he would be crushed and Robb would be King of the North half of the continent. At that point the Reach and Dorne would bend the knee and Robb would rule Westeros.

Right, so we have the basic situation in GoT, where the lannisters destroyed the tullys. Your saying add one commander and a few thousand northerners to the tully side while the lannisters are adding 50,000+ tyrell soldiers, and the tullys would have done better? Thats absurd. Numbers matter. There is no way 20,000 or so tullys could have held the riverland against 80,000 royalist soldiers when they couldn't do so against 30,000 royalist soldiers earlier.

No an invasion would have been delayed till spring. The north basically shuts down during winter, hitting the north once winter ends would be ideal, when the north would be at its weakest point.

Rodrick had 2,000 men. Ramsay had similar numbers and was repeatedly thrown back at moat calin, when the ironmen had less than 200 men. Rodrick would have faced a much larger force (it was months earlier). Saying he could have "easily" taken back moat calin is just not right.

Alexander the great defeated an Persian army of more than 250,000 with only 50,000 men. If u know what ur doing numbers don't matter.

Robb's plan was to attack moat calin from 3 sides the great jon would lead a attack up the causeway while robb would have attacked the flank and the manderlys would have attack the rear. I think that plan would have work .

Right, so we have the basic situation in GoT, where the lannisters destroyed the tullys. Your saying add one commander and a few thousand northerners to the tully side while the lannisters are adding 50,000+ tyrell soldiers, and the tullys would have done better? Thats absurd. Numbers matter. There is no way 20,000 or so tullys could have held the riverland against 80,000 royalist soldiers when they couldn't do so against 30,000 royalist soldiers earlier.

No an invasion would have been delayed till spring. The north basically shuts down during winter, hitting the north once winter ends would be ideal, when the north would be at its weakest point.

Rodrick had 2,000 men. Ramsay had similar numbers and was repeatedly thrown back at moat calin, when the ironmen had less than 200 men. Rodrick would have faced a much larger force (it was months earlier). Saying he could have "easily" taken back moat calin is just not right.

Alexander the great defeated an Persian army of more than 250,000 with only 50,000 men. If u know what ur doing numbers don't matter.

Robb's plan was to attack moat calin from 3 sides the great jon would lead a attack up the causeway while robb would have attacked the flank and the manderlys would have attack the rear. I think that plan would have work .

I think that Robb stood a very good chance of winning the war IF he hadn't fallen victim to his own poor judgment in marrying Jeyne. I see that as his un-doing, period, that's it, that's all. In spite of his youth and basic inexperience in war, he had proved to be an excellent stragegist and was, like his father, I think, a natural at inspiring a following. That, for me, was the turning point - by the occasion of Edmure's wedding, he'd already 'done himself in'. I think he would've been a fine match for Tywin Lannister, and I think he could have put down the Greyjoy rebellion fairly easily. In the event of these two things, I don't believe Bolton would have played out his treachery, at least not then. South of the Riverlands and King's Landing, I don't know. Others above have debated how the Tyrells and Martells would have fallen in with the status, but the fact that they didn't like each other would prove an advantage to Robb.

Kings's Landing, though - the Iron Throne...I'm not sure Robb really wanted that. King in the North, yes. He wanted vengeance for his father and to put down his father's enemies, but if there could be a peaceable kingdom, relatively speaking, I think he would have been satisfied if he accomplished the other essentials. I am often naive - but, that's just what I think.

Man, people really have fan-crushes on Robb to the point where it blinds them to facts.

He could have won if ACOK had gone differently, yes. But by the beginning of ASOS the war was already lost. He should have bent the knee to Joffrey and focused on liberating the North

The moment that Stannis lost I think that Robb was fucked and i Renly had beaten Stannis Robb would also be fucked. If Stannis had become king and deposed Joffrey than he would likely have bee dragged into a long and bitter war with the Lannisters and the Tyrells which would prevent anyone from harming Robb and thus continuing war in the South was the only thing that could make Robb reach his independance, but in the end the North-River kingdom was going to be crush sooner or later when someone managed to grap the Iron Throne and unite the South.

I think that the best that Robb could've been aiming for against Joffrey would to bleed the Lannister-Tyrell forces so much that they would accept a general amnesty on mild terms for the rebels, make their oaths of loyalty to the Iron Throne to Joffrey's representative instead of going to King's Landing and then head up north to take it back from the Ironborn. Any fancy ideas that Robb would've been able to take on the rest of Westeros is just dreams. It wasn't going to happen and everybody knew it. The only question was how many thousands would need to die or have their lives ruined before the inevitable happened.

And if you well versed in history you know that it was a great deal of things that was working in Alexander's favor for him to go agaist the Persians and he didn't aim to engage and either rout or kill the majority of the Persian forces. If he'd done that he would've been grinded down in a war of attrition that could only end in one way. Also the Greeks were vastly superior in training, motivation, tactics and arms to the Persians and it was a well known fact by the time. The Northmen and the Southrons are however pretty much equal with no notable difference between them in any of those areas.

As to that numbers don't matter I must ask you if you've even been to a schoolyard brawl or a bar fight? Just two against one means almost certainly a beating for the lone guy if they're somewhat evenly matched and I've not seen anything to indicate that Robb's soldiers would be superior in any meaningful way to Lannisters or Tyrell soldiers.

Robb didn't need to win, had the Red Wedding not happened, he would've been reconquering the North by the time of the Purple Wedding. With Joffrey dead and Tommen king, there'd be no reason for him not to sue for peace.

Uhhhh, CERSEI. Tommen as king is not truly Tommen. It is Cersei, then Kevan (although seems to be a good guy, still Tywin's brother). Robb would not make peace with the direct kin of those who murdered his father, crippled and attempted to murder his brother, lost one sister, and held the other hostage, especially when he has the clear upperhand.

Archived