Mafia 84: The Festival of Lights

House Targaryen

I'm curious - how do you think people are supposed to figure out this game? What do you mean when you say "offer something valuable of your own"?

The best way to play this game is to be reactive to other people, especially on day 1. By asking questions, and forcing people to make decisions and commit to positions, you gain information. The value of that information may be immediately apparent, in the rare times that you get an awkward response that triggers your suspicion or you catch somebody in a contradiction. But more likely, its going to be something that will help you down the road. When you're rereading on day 4 and you look back and realize that somebody listed another player as "okay" on day 1, but then they called that person "a top suspect" on day 2, and there wasn't any reason for it, then you've got something to work with.

My approach has value, even if you can't see it. The fact that you're even questioning this means you're either evil or rather clueless on how to effectively play the game.

Aside from that - the people who I'm attacking are the ones who I think are often the ones who I think are most suspicious. What would make you think that I haven't shared any of my real thoughts? For example, I do find you suspicious for sticking to rules posts. There are a few players who I know do that all the time when they are evil. Its a safe way to contribute without provoking other people or helping us find the FM.

When I say offer something valuable of your own, I mean it just like it says. Offer something other than dismissing other people's ideas or opinions. You know, maybe some of your own thoughts for a change. Not that difficult, unless your trying to shy away from it.

And I suspect that different people have different ideas of how to play the game, especially on day 1. And though I see your point on contradictory information concerning people's opinions if it's not supported, I suspect if you hold to that, you play blind most of the time because you think there's only one way - your way - and that probably makes you quite inefficient because you can't see that the attack and retreat position might not be the best way for everyone to play. That just doesn't come natural to everyone and as we're already seeing one person has a vote for his posts feeling "forced" whatever that means.

I'm sure your approach has value, but I'd like to see you offer something of your own that isn't reactive. I've never said that I'm a master at this game *hint I'm not and I never claimed to be*. But, I'm gonna strongly suggest if you think that's the only way to effectively play, you're no master at it either.

Case in point, I know you're playing blind because you find me suspicious and that makes me question every other thing you've stated in this game. The rules post thing I've tried to explain. I came in to a few conversations that happened to have something to do with rules, which I've been reading in an attempt to make sense of them. Nothing else serious has been going on today but silly bandwagoning, which I find distasteful. But seriously, some people can contribute to finding the FM without going on provoking campaigns.

Well it looks like the only two people close to getting lynched are the two Johns. Since I'll be asleep for the end of day 1 I'm changing my vote one final time to John Hyrcanus. Eusebon made some good points about him, and after looking through his post history the constant "Im everybody's friend" jokeyness does border on suspicious. Eusebon himself has made some suspicious comments, but he responded the correct way to my trolling which make me think hes innocent. So lets lynch John and see what happens :)

One thing is clear though.. Onias needs to go to Edit Rehab...

They tried to make me go to rehab, and I said

edit- No, no, no!

It is Day One. Sixteen Players Remain.

Nine votes are required to lynch or eight to go to night.

1 vote for Eleazar Maccabee (Judah Maccabee)

1 vote for Habim (Jonathan Maccabee)

4 votes for John Hyrcanus (John Gaddi, Lysimachus, Eusebon, Onias)

2 votes for John Gaddi (John Hyrcanus, Menelaus)

2 votes for Menelaus (Mattathias, Aristobulus)

1 vote for Onias (Simeon)

Five players have not voted: Antonin, Chana, Eleazar Maccabee, Guriah, Habim

Items in the pot:

Hanukkah gelt x ?

Oil (E) x 2

Candle (P) x 2

Jelly (E) x 1

Today, Lysimachus will spin the dreidl.

When I say offer something valuable of your own, I mean it just like it says. Offer something other than dismissing other people's ideas or opinions. You know, maybe some of your own thoughts for a change. Not that difficult, unless your trying to shy away from it.

What the hell are you talking about? I've offered plenty of my own thoughts. That's all I've been doing the entire game.

When I say that Menelaus first post is an awkward over-explanation, and therefore suspicious, that is my opinion based on my experience in past mafia games. Its not some random bullshit that I throw out there for fun. Same thing when I say that you are suspicious for sticking to safe subjects. And so on.

Case in point, I know you're playing blind because you find me suspicious and that makes me question every other thing you've stated in this game. The rules post thing I've tried to explain. I came in to a few conversations that happened to have something to do with rules, which I've been reading in an attempt to make sense of them. Nothing else serious has been going on today but silly bandwagoning, which I find distasteful. But seriously, some people can contribute to finding the FM without going on provoking campaigns.

Your explanation isn't satisfactory. If you want to go OMGUS and suspect me just because I'm not buying your answer, then go ahead. That's not going to ever have any impact on how I evaluate you.

Well it looks like the only two people close to getting lynched are the two Johns. Since I'll be asleep for the end of day 1 I'm changing my vote one final time to John Hyrcanus. Eusebon made some good points about him, and after looking through his post history the constant "Im everybody's friend" jokeyness does border on suspicious. Eusebon himself has made some suspicious comments, but he responded the correct way to my trolling which make me think hes innocent. So lets lynch John and see what happens :)

You're going to be asleep for the next 11 hours?

Also, if you really have a Thor Idol and are innocent....have you asked the mods what will happen if you eat a latke? Are idols the same as items, in the sense that a latke will allow you to discard an idol and remove it from the game? If so, that's got to be your goal.

What the hell are you talking about? I've offered plenty of my own thoughts. That's all I've been doing the entire game.

When I say that Menelaus first post is an awkward over-explanation, and therefore suspicious, that is my opinion based on my experience in past mafia games. Its not some random bullshit that I throw out there for fun. Same thing when I say that you are suspicious for sticking to safe subjects. And so on.

Your explanation isn't satisfactory. If you want to go OMGUS and suspect me just because I'm not buying your answer, then go ahead. That's not going to ever have any impact on how I evaluate you.

No, you have offered none of your own thoughts. Every single one of your posts has been reacting to someone else's thoughts, statements, or ideas. Reacting to someone else may, yes, include some of your own thoughts, but there are no posts of your own fully formed ideas or thoughts that are based on something someone else has said. To me, you've offered a cheap way of playing the game so that you can post a lot, not seem like scum, be reactive and act like you're contributing.

But, really, you're not. I know who you find suspicious and I know you're reasoning is flawed in at least one case, though I suspect you won't accept this...ever...no matter how many times you're proven wrong.

Because seriously, how many times do I have to explain that I answered rules questions because I, myself, was trying to make sense of them.

And, dude, did I bold your name? I may have a limited understanding of the OMGUS idea, but I'm sure I made it pretty clear that I had suspicions about you a while ago, but not enough to actually vote for you. And honestly, I don't care if my explanations aren't satisfactory to you. You've made it so perfectly clear you're playing the blindest of games that there is no satisfying you. And really, right now, I think it will be just amusing for me to sit back and watch just how many incorrect assumptions you make throughout the game all while professing mastery of game play.

You're going to be asleep for the next 11 hours?

Also, if you really have a Thor Idol and are innocent....have you asked the mods what will happen if you eat a latke? Are idols the same as items, in the sense that a latke will allow you to discard an idol and remove it from the game? If so, that's got to be your goal.

I have something to say on this matter, but I'm unsure whether it will make me more, or less of a target?

I really don't want to lynch Hyrcanus.. I don't think he's scummy... but since everyone is off the Gaddi train.. I'll hop off.. and see which other one comes into the station.. but i am not hopping on the hyrcanus train for now...

Remove vote

I appreciate the trust, or rather lack of direct suspicion on your part Mel. But I think I have to agree with you on Gaddi(despite the flames I'll probably get for agreeing with someone again). In all fairness, I have no reason based in logic to want to lynch him, and the only purpose for keeping that vote would be to outweigh the votes against myself. Since I already surpass his number, it's irrelevant to my own lynching whether or not I vote for him - so in that spirit

Remove vote

No, you have offered none of your own thoughts. Every single one of your posts has been reacting to someone else's thoughts, statements, or ideas. Reacting to someone else may, yes, include some of your own thoughts, but there are no posts of your own fully formed ideas or thoughts that are based on something someone else has said. To me, you've offered a cheap way of playing the game so that you can post a lot, not seem like scum, be reactive and act like you're contributing.

I really have no idea what you're trying to say. How was it not "my own fully formed thought/idea" when I posted that you were playing it safe with the rules posts?

But, really, you're not. I know who you find suspicious and I know you're reasoning is flawed in at least one case, though I suspect you won't accept this...ever...no matter how many times you're proven wrong.

I've been proven wrong? When?

Also, I've said that you're suspicious. Not that you're 100% guilty. Its way too early for me to make a claim like that. Right now, you're simply guilty of fitting a pattern of behavior that I've seen FM follow in previous games. That puts you near the top of my suspect list, but doesn't mean you have to be FM.

But Eusebon I'm rereading too. And not only do I find the strange "what if so and so are on a team together" without providing any reason why distasteful and useless. I also don't like this:

Last call before the deadline. I am doing a quick re-read, but if I don't find anything particualrly odd, my vote will stay on John Hyrcanus. He seemed way too awkward and forced. And he seemed to agree with anoyone and everyone, and seemed to not really pay attention to questions nor interorations. Plus, we need the CF, since he had a lot of interaction with everybody. Even if he is town, his CF will provide helpful info.

Why in the hell would you vote for someone if you even had a sneaking suspicion that he's town? I just can't imagine that an innocent would be so careless about sacrificing one of our own. I don't know how agreeing with people makes someone scum and therefore am very suspicious. Especially considering he doesn't seem to be fully convinced of his guilt. I'm sorry, but being willing to get rid of an innocent person is just not acceptable to me at all.

Furthermore he's all over the place and clears people or suspects people without reason. That kind of vagueness smacks of scum to me. Why does someone feel town to you? Why does someone feel scum?

But, my biggest reason is his willingness to vote someone and not care if he's innocent because that will bring information. If he's innocent, we're already down one and already on the losing end.

ETA: missed a couple of words and needed to make it legible

It is Day One. Sixteen Players Remain.

Nine votes are required to lynch or eight to go to night.

1 vote for Eleazar Maccabee (Judah Maccabee)

1 vote for Eusebon (Chana)

1 vote for Habim (Jonathan Maccabee)

4 votes for John Hyrcanus (John Gaddi, Lysimachus, Eusebon, Onias)

2 votes for Menelaus (Mattathias, Aristobulus)

1 vote for Onias (Simeon)

Six players have not voted: Antonin, Eleazar Maccabee, Guriah, Habim, John Hyrcanus, Menelaus

Items in the pot:

Hanukkah gelt x ?

Oil (E) x 2

Candle (P) x 2

Jelly (E) x 1

Today, Lysimachus will spin the dreidl.

I really have no idea what you're trying to say. How was it not "my own fully formed thought/idea" when I posted that you were playing it safe with the rules posts?

I've been proven wrong? When?

Also, I've said that you're suspicious. Not that you're 100% guilty. Its way too early for me to make a claim like that. Right now, you're simply guilty of fitting a pattern of behavior that I've seen FM follow in previous games. That puts you near the top of my suspect list, but doesn't mean you have to be FM.

I'd like to see you post something not reactive to other people. All I know of you is reactionary. It could be that you're trying to get to the bottom of things; it could be that you're trying to cover yourself.

I'm not saying that you have been proven wrong, but if your actually earnest in this, you will be.

And, if you're looking for patterns that previous FM played and trying to pigeon-hole based on that, you are playing a blind game.

Hyrcanus, can you clarify something for me? When I asked who you suspect, you said -

Me? Hmm...maybe Lycheewhateverhisnameis. But only for also suspecting me under no real pretense. And, of course, as I've said - Matt, for his odd comments earlier.

That implies that you had previously expressed suspicion toward Matt. But looking back, your main post about him was this -

lol, maybe I should change my vote for you. Frankly I just threw that out there so as to not be the only one named as a lynching candidate.

Matt's behaviour seems a little strange to me (wanting to give away items on the first day, being sure he'll be killed on day 1), but I can't make any real judgements this early

That his behavior was "a little strange" but that you "can't make any real judgments this early."

Can you explain? Was your inability to judge Matt actually meant as an indication that you suspect him?

I'd like to see you post something not reactive to other people. All I know of you is reactionary. It could be that you're trying to get to the bottom of things; it could be that you're trying to cover yourself.

I'm done with this discussion. You're talking gibberish, not making any sense, and wasting my time. You also didn't bother to answer my first question. *shocked*

Can you explain? Was your inability to judge Matt actually meant as an indication that you suspect him?

Well, I can't say with %100 certainty that Matt is a Helenist or not, but I would like to know why he's so sure he'd get axed the first night, and why he's so eager to give away his Jelly.

Archived