Little Finger, I can't believe there are people who don't like little finger

I love how the character of Littlefinger is written and how he adds to the story, but I have yet to decide if I really "like" him. At the moment I see him as quite a despicable person because he is so devious and manipulative, but when you are good and honorable it is likely you are not long for the world of GRRM. Perhaps if more of his motivation is revealed I will make a decision. I still think his overall plan is hidden. Oh and his fixation on Sansa is just creepy.

People keep talking about LF flying out of the Moon Door, but won't we have to wait several years for that to happen, since the Eyrie household has descended to the Gates of the Moon for winter?

I love LF. He's my favourite character. I enjoyed his interactions with Ned, and I enjoyed realising the extent of his plotting. I would love for him and Varys to work together to acheive their goals, personally, but I don't see that happening. He's an absolutely reprehensible character, of course, but hey, an awful lot of popular characters are pretty reprehensible- Jaime, Sandor, Cersei, etc.- Littlefinger's just better at it :P

As far as Varys goes, I'm not sure whether I believe entirely in his "For the realm" agenda- whilst it might indeed be his goal to get a good king on the throne, his methods would have left thousands dead all the same.

Trying to be balanced for the moment: I can totally understand why people don't like Littlefinger. He is totally, unapologetically out for himself - no speeches about how he wants to do what's right for the kingdom, he is out for him. He's started a war, mostly to benefit himself. Morally, he's not winning many points. Not to mention, his obsession with Cat has resulted in the bizarre "You should have been my daughter, but at the same time, you're like the girl I was in love with V. 2!" thing he's got going on with Sansa, which is kind of creepy. Though, TBH, after Sandor and Tyrion, I was kind of expected every Sansa relationship in the books to have overtones of creepy.

But at the same time: this is a man who has risen from the very lowest of lords to a member of the King's Council, to a High Lord in his own right, purely through using his brain to make himself useful, and by manipulating the right people. He has made himself money through businesses and investments. In a world where people tend to rise either through skill at arms, or through hereditary titles, here is someone who doesn't have either of these, who only uses his brain- and he's despised for it. The guy sets some powerful houses against each other. He has the ruler of the Eyrie and the apparent heir to the North under his control. He has control over one of the few kingdoms untouched by the war that he helped to start. He has spies still in the court. He's very capable.

I don't know, there's just something satisfying about seeing him come out on top, and if he is destined for a huge fall, then I really hope he gets some more moments of awesome- and more importantly, a little recognition about how he pretty much shafted everyone- first.

No, he is not the kind of badass that charges into a fight waving a sword. But damn if he isn't one of the biggest badasses in the series, IMO :P

Trying to be balanced for the moment: I can totally understand why people don't like Littlefinger. He is totally, unapologetically out for himself - no speeches about how he wants to do what's right for the kingdom, he is out for him. He's started a war, mostly to benefit himself. Morally, he's not winning many points. Not to mention, his obsession with Cat has resulted in the bizarre "You should have been my daughter, but at the same time, you're like the girl I was in love with V. 2!" thing he's got going on with Sansa, which is kind of creepy. Though, TBH, after Sandor and Tyrion, I was kind of expected every Sansa relationship in the books to have overtones of creepy.

Plus he calls her by his own mother's name. He must have some serious issues.

I mostly respect Littlefinger for being that capable and cunning and he is really witty, so I like reading about him and just because I like him, I kind of skipped over the fact that he betrayed like everybody else in the book on my first read. But now I admit that he is also an egocentric vile manipulator who must get what he deserves from Sansa. Still, he is my favourite negative character in any book (ok, maybe next to Mr. Collins :P :leaving:).

I like his cunning, his achievements and his wit. I was completely ok with him when he was betraying just the Starks, but then he went and betrayed the Lannisters too (who hasn't he betrayed?). That's not cool in my book. I want to see the little man fly... :devil: /joking

Ok, seriously, I probably could like him again if he finally says what's his goal. I don't like characters from whom I can expect everything and anything at all. I want to know what would they die for, what do they want to achieve and then I can decide if I like the character or not. Now the only thing I know is that Littlefinger will be loyal to no one and will probably betray (again) all the characters I care for. So, no, I don't like him. If he was loyal to someone else, just one person, I'd have liked him, but not otherwise.

I like his cunning, his achievements and his wit. I was completely ok with him when he was betraying just the Starks, but then he went and betrayed the Lannisters too (who hasn't he betrayed?). That's not cool in my book. I want to see the little man fly... :devil: /joking

Ok, seriously, I probably could like him again if he finally says what's his goal. I don't like characters from whom I can expect everything and anything at all. I want to know what would they die for, what do they want to achieve and then I can decide if I like the character or not. Now the only thing I know is that Littlefinger will be loyal to no one and will probably betray (again) all the characters I care for. So, no, I don't like him. If he was loyal to someone else, just one person, I'd have liked him, but not otherwise.

What he would die for: nothing, he has no plans of dying up to now, and he is too smart to get himself in danger.

What he wants to achieve: everything.

To whom he is loyal: himself.

Thus, we know just about everything you ask for about him :).

I can't believe that no one has mentioned how he had Jeyne Westerling Poole Kidnapped, Beaten and Raped repeatedly in order to make her "ready" for Ramsey Bolton. Manipulative backstabbers I can understand. This, no.

Also, Littlefinger's "thing" for Sansa will be his undoing, and his obsession with Catelyn and Sansa is the most interesting part of his character. Yes it's fucked up but I find it fascinating to read. However, my estimation of LF went down a lot after it was revealed in adwd that he actually wanted to marry Sansa before Catelyn was dead (prior to that, I assumed his obsession with Sansa had to do with him going a little crazy after Cat died and actually believing that Sansa was Catelyn).

However, my estimation of LF went down a lot after it was revealed in adwd that he actually wanted to marry Sansa before Catelyn was dead (prior to that, I assumed his obsession with Sansa had to do with him going a little crazy after Cat died and actually believing that Sansa was Catelyn).

I didn't find that surprising at all. The chapter towards the end of AGOT where LF is looking at Sansa like she has no clothes on... :stillsick:

And Poole, not Westerling. :)

Since I'm commenting, I don't care for LF. I agree with Errant Bard that he's pretty one-note, though he was fun with Ned and Tyrion, but the Sansa thing is too creepy and gross for my taste. "Come give Daddy a kiss..." no thanks. Jaime is a much more enjoyable villain.

People keep talking about LF flying out of the Moon Door, but won't we have to wait several years for that to happen, since the Eyrie household has descended to the Gates of the Moon for winter?

Well, in that case, I'd be perfectly happy for someone Sansa to slip the Strangler into his goblet, or for him to be trampled by one of Mya's mules, or for SHAGGA SON OF DOLF to feed him to his goats. Any one of those will do.

@MyDogIsNamedDanerys

I assume you mean Jeyne Poole. But I don't think he does that. He just ships her off to one of his whore houses. And then brings her back later when Tywin decides to pass her off as Arya.

Whoopsie. Fixing original.

And what do you mean he didn't do that? Jeyne has whipmarks on her back and says that she has been "trained" for sex. "Shipping her off to his whorehouse" is in fact human trafficking (kidnapping, rape, assault). He knew perfectly well what would be done to her there and he is fully responsible.

I didn't find that surprising at all. The chapter towards the end of AGOT where LF is looking at Sansa like she has no clothes on... :stillsick:

And Poole, not Westerling. :)

Since I'm commenting, I don't care for LF. I agree with Errant Bard that he's pretty one-note, though he was fun with Ned and Tyrion, but the Sansa thing is too creepy and gross for my taste. "Come give Daddy a kiss..." no thanks. Jaime is a much more enjoyable villain.

Sansa is definitely his biggest weakness but I'm pretty sure once Ned is beheaded little finger sees an end to the male Starks. Honor dictates Rob avenge is father. No one expects Rob to be as successful in battle as he is. But either way the Stark-Tully-Aryn alliance that put Robert on his throne is no more. Edmure is no Hoster and Little Finger ensures the bloody gate remains closed. He figures its just a matter of time is Tywin goes all Reynes of Castamere on the Starks... and he manages to bring Highgarden into the alliance when a Stark victory looks possible.

Also, I think Little Finger hates Catelyn and has been plotting to rain down death and destruction upon her and her loved ones ever since Brandon Stark split him open.

Sansa is definitely his biggest weakness but I'm pretty sure once Ned is beheaded little finger sees an end to the male Starks. Honor dictates Rob avenge is father. No one expects Rob to be as successful in battle as he is. But either way the Stark-Tully-Aryn alliance that put Robert on his throne is no more. Edmure is no Hoster and Little Finger ensures the bloody gate remains closed. He figures its just a matter of time is Tywin goes all Reynes of Castamere on the Starks... and he manages to bring Highgarden into the alliance when a Stark victory looks possible.

Also, I think Little Finger hates Catelyn and has been plotting to rain down death and destruction upon her and her loved ones ever since Brandon Stark split him open.

So he's eventually going to butcher Sansa according to you?

I admire LF's intelligence, how he managed to become an important player of the game of thrones on his own, and I love learning about his plans because most of them are great. If Sansa has to play the game of thrones, she has the best tutor ever.

But his relationship with Sansa is disturbing and creepy, he acts like some kind of father/lover and that's just :ack:

And what he did to Jeyne was cruel and awful, first he uses makes her become a prostitute and then he sents her to marry Ramsay, that shows that he has no compassion for anyone, only for Catelyn and Sansa,and thats only because he is obssessed with them.

I personally enjoy reading about his plots, but I'm not a great fan of LF.

So yes, he is a great character, but I understand why some people don't like him.

Archived