Brans weirwood visions

shmoove

In aDwD when Bran learns how to slip into weirwoods he sees;

• Tall, hard, stern men with beards in fur and chain mail forcing a captive down on his knees. A white haired woman killing the captive with a bronze sickle.

This can be either Daenerys, with Jhaqo or Mago being brought to her as a prisoner, as per "It was a cruel fate, Yet not so cruel as Mago's will be. I promise you that, by the old gods and the new, by the lamb god and the horse god and every god that lives. I swear by the Mother of Mountains and the Womb of the World. Before I am done with them, Mago and Ko Jhaqo will plead for the mercy they showed Eroeh."

If it is old it can be The Night's King and his queen, he sacrificing someone

It can also be UnCat, being brought a frey, is Thoros tall?

/edit also

• A pregnant women coming out of the black pool praying for a son to avenge her;

Could refer to a possible pregnant Jeyne

i dunno if ane1 has thought of this as a theory wat if the blood sacrifice was to give food to the old gods cuz bloodraven says to bran the food would be provided by the trees he is warging into.... cuz bloodraven himself does not eat or drink he just sits there.... i dunno i think blood sacrifice is abut feeding all those who are connected with the trees.

In aDwD when Bran learns how to slip into weirwoods he sees;

• His younger father praying with a bowed head "…let them grow up close as brothers, with only love between them,” he prayed, “and let my lady wife find it in her heart to forgive.";
  • A girl and a younger boy play fighting with branches;
  • A pregnant women coming out of the black pool praying for a son to avenge her;
  • A slender girl on her toes kissing a knight as tall as Hodor;
  • A pale dark eyed youth cutting three branches from the weirwood and shaping them into arrows;
  • Tall, hard, stern men with beards in fur and chain mail forcing a captive down on his knees. A white haired woman killing the captive with a bronze sickle.

I am not sure what all of these mean.

The first one is pretty obvious.

Who are the kids in the second one?

I am guessing the third one is Lyanna maybe?

The forth Lyanna and Rhaegar?

Not sure about the fifth.

Is the last one UnCat?

The only ones I feel pretty sure about are the 2nd and the 4th one.

In the second one, I believe it was Lyanna and her younger brother Benjen. Seems that was mentioned somewhere in a post I read earlier this weekend.

In the fourth one, I believe it's Old Nan and Hodor's father whom I believe was Dunc.

Could refer to a possible pregnant Jeyne

The visions are going back in time. the first vision is of bran's father talking about Jon and Rob. so the pregnant woman is before Ned's return to winterfel with Jon. I'm not sure there has been enough information to say who the woman is right now.

• 4 months later...

His younger father praying with a bowed head "…let them grow up close as brothers, with only love between them,” he prayed, “and let my lady wife find it in her heart to forgive.";

Ned talking about robb and jon. Doesn’t really prove or disprove anything, but I am a fan of R+L=J.

A girl and a younger boy play fighting with branches;

Lyanna and Benjen. He clearly thinks it’s not Arya but someone who looks like her. Unless the visions aren’t going back in time in a linear fashion (I think they are), it should be Lyanna. Then again maybe Alys Karstark was playing at swords with one of her brothers or robb during their visit to Winterfell.

A pregnant women coming out of the black pool praying for a son to avenge her;

One of the widows from the succession conflict left by Beron Stark. This might affect the series since their husbands were killed fighting the Skagosi, Raymun Redbeard and Dagon Greyjoy, all of whom have descendants playing parts or about to play parts in the story.

A slender girl on her toes kissing a knight as tall as Hodor;

Old Nan and Ser Duncan. I love that theory.

A pale dark eyed youth cutting three branches from the weirwood and shaping them into arrows;

Brandon Snow making weirwood arrows to kill Aegon I’s dragons during the war of conquest.

Tall, hard, stern men with beards in fur and chain mail forcing a captive down on his knees. A white haired woman killing the captive with a bronze sickle.

The bronze sickle probably means this was before the andal invasion. Other than that there’s not much to go on but I really think this is the birth of coldhands. The woman’s white hair might make her an albino like Bloodraven, so maybe she was a greenseer? Or maybe she’s just old.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

His younger father praying with a bowed head "…let them grow up close as brothers, with only love between them,” he prayed, “and let my lady wife find it in her heart to forgive.";

Ned talking about robb and jon. Doesn’t really prove or disprove anything, but I am a fan of R+L=J.

A girl and a younger boy play fighting with branches;

Lyanna and Benjen. He clearly thinks it’s not Arya but someone who looks like her. Unless the visions aren’t going back in time in a linear fashion (I think they are), it should be Lyanna. Then again maybe Alys Karstark was playing at swords with one of her brothers or robb during their visit to Winterfell.

A pregnant women coming out of the black pool praying for a son to avenge her;

One of the widows from the succession conflict left by Beron Stark. This might affect the series since their husbands were killed fighting the Skagosi, Raymun Redbeard and Dagon Greyjoy, all of whom have descendants playing parts or about to play parts in the story.

A slender girl on her toes kissing a knight as tall as Hodor;

Old Nan and Ser Duncan. I love that theory.

A pale dark eyed youth cutting three branches from the weirwood and shaping them into arrows;

Brandon Snow making weirwood arrows to kill Aegon I’s dragons during the war of conquest.

Tall, hard, stern men with beards in fur and chain mail forcing a captive down on his knees. A white haired woman killing the captive with a bronze sickle.

The bronze sickle probably means this was before the andal invasion. Other than that there’s not much to go on but I really think this is the birth of coldhands. The woman’s white hair might make her an albino like Bloodraven, so maybe she was a greenseer? Or maybe she’s just old.

SO i think

NEd talking about Jon/Robb

Lyanna and Benjen - also Lyanna is a kick ass fighter, wasnt she the laughing knight?

I thought this might be one of the She wolves

Dunk and Old (young nan) - go the lunk!

This -Brandon Snow the bastard half brother of King Torrhen Stark, offered to sneak into Aegon's camp and kill all 3 dragons. i believe he fashioned 3 weirwood arrows to do it.

Finally, a glimpse of pre andal days Starks.

The first vision is of Ned confessing his deception to the old gods.

The second vision is Lyanna Stark beating up on little Benjen, who was foolish enough to think he'd win just because she is a girl

The third vision is from a book he's doing about a bunch of women of House Stark who all had their brothers or husbands or fathers killed.

The fourth vision is Old Nan and Ser Duncan the Tall, and the explanation for Hodor.

The fifth vision is Brandon Snow, bastard brother of Torrhen Stark, creating weirwood arrows to kill the Targaryen dragons.

The sixth is unknown.

Why is it important that the woman in the last Vision has white hair? Is that she's just old? If so, then why wouldn't GRRM just describe her as an elderly woman? Am I missing something in the significance of her hair color? Does it give us a clue to the time period (past or future)?

Could it be Dany executing a prisoner in Winterfell with an Arakh? Jon at her side, reminding her that "the one who gives the sentence must swing the sword"?

• 3 weeks later...

Why is it important that the woman in the last Vision has white hair? Is that she's just old? If so, then why wouldn't GRRM just describe her as an elderly woman? Am I missing something in the significance of her hair color? Does it give us a clue to the time period (past or future)?

She could be Snowy Locks, one of the COF that's with Bran. That would explain alot.

First of all great thread. I really love the topic of visions and I hope that we will see more of Bran´s weirwood visions in TWOW. Maybe one of them involving a beautiful woman who looked like an older version of Arya marriyng a man with silver-gold hair and indigo eyes ;)

I agree the first vision was Ned praying, because of Jon. I take that as a further hint for R+L=J, but I know that some people don´t see it that way.

The second vision showed Lyanna and Benjen fighting.

The third could either be a women from the She-Wolves generation or the one that got stolen by Bael the Beard.

I doubt it´s Jeyne because:

1. I don´t believe she´s pregnant.

2. I believe the visions move backwards in the timeline

The fourth vision shows Old Nan and Dunc (maybe we will learn more about them in She-Wolves).

I believe like some others that the fifth visions shows Brandon Snow, who prepares the arrows to kill the literal dragons. Maybe we will learn more about that topic in TWOW. The weirwood beeing useful to make weapons with which you can kill dragons.

Here is the wiki link to Brandon Snow:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Brandon_Snow

The fifth vision shows a pre-Andal invasion sacrifice to the Old Goods, it coul hint Theon´s fate if you combine it with the TWOW sample chapter.

I believe all the visions are going backwards through time, therefore the white-haired woman is not Daenerys. Bran also notes that the woman has 'white' hair, not silver. Targaryen hair is easily distinguishable, and Bran does not see the unique Targaryen silver hair.

Based on the fact that I believe the visions are going backwards through time, I believe the sacrifice scene is hundreds or possibly thousands of years old. It could well be from the time of the original Long Night, and the use of a bronze sickle hints that it is probably from the pre-Andal time.

Tnx Shmoove I wanted a topic about it.

First one is obvious, and I think it is a good reason that R+L=J is not true. The Second one is about Lyanna and one of her brothers probably Brandon. The rest I have no idea but like other guys I think it is about past generations of Stark family.

I don't see how that hurts the R+L=J theory at all.

• 3 months later...

I know, GRRM has said himself that sometimes he forgets a character's eye colour as he's done with Renly but with Bloodraven it's different, isn't it? I mean, the red eyes are always brought up, it's kind of a big deal. And then to have the character appear, unnamed, and with the first description being 'dark-eyed youth' would be, at the very least, deliberately misleading.

[...]

it's not just the red eyes (he would still have both eyes back then); there's the white hair and the blood-red birthmark.

In the D&E story "The Mystery Night" I recall the implication that Bloodraven may have used a glamour to disguise himself as a Plumm.

Perhaps BR learned this young, or Shiera Seastar worked a glamour on him, and Bran is describing a disguised Bloodraven? (Still wouldn't explain BR's being in Winterfell at that time, though).

• 7 months later...

Archived