Brans weirwood visions

shmoove

I'm still not so sure, long before we got into this discussion I read the dark eyed bit as referring to his expression rather than being a physical description. Its surprising just how close humans need to be to each other to distinguish eye colour, but expressions and emotions, especially anger, can be read much further away. In this case I simply read it as the youth being "black avis'd" and angry rather than that he had black rather than red eyes.

He also changed Val's eyes color in ADWD from grey to blue :D

is that a switch? Mine do that all the time. Depending on the ambient light.

:-D

(i never caught that one and now im weaseling my way out of it :( )

is that a switch? Mine do that all the time. Depending on the ambient light.

:-D

(i never caught that one and now im weaseling my way out of it :( )

It's odd, cause when she leaves the Wall to go find Tormund her eyes are grey, but when she comes back it states clearly that her eyes were blue (is that scene where she appears with Ghost walking beside her and Jon is kinda mesmerized at the sight of them)

Val was clad all in white; white woolen breeches tucked into high boots of bleached white leather, white bearskin cloak pinned at the shoulder with a carved weirwood face, white tunic with bone fastenings. Her breath was white as well … but her eyes were blue, her long braid the color of dark honey, her cheeks flushed red from the cold. It had been a long while since Jon Snow had seen a sight so lovely

His younger father praying with a bowed head "…let them grow up close as brothers, with only love between them,” he prayed, “and let my lady wife find it in her heart to forgive.";

A girl and a younger boy play fighting with branches

As others have mentioned, the first is very obviously Ned shortly after Robert's Rebellion, and the second is most likely Lyanna and Benjen.

A pregnant woman coming out of the black pool praying for a son to avenge her;

A slender girl on her toes kissing a knight as tall as Hodor;

A pale dark eyed youth cutting three branches from the weirwood and shaping them into arrows;

Tall, hard, stern men with beards in fur and chain mail forcing a captive down on his knees. A white haired woman killing the captive with a bronze sickle.

Weirwoods are sacred, so a weirwood arrow indicates it's being used for something far more than ordinary fighting or hunting; it seems more likely to me that they were meant for ritual purposes. Similarly, a crone slitting a captive's throat with a bronze sickle sounds very much like a blood sacrifice. The deeply religious feel to both images makes me think they are both ancient, and came from either before or during the Andal invasion. The sacrifice in particular feels like it came during the Age of Heroes, but of course that's speculation.

It's odd, cause when she leaves the Wall to go find Tormund her eyes are grey, but when she comes back it states clearly that her eyes were blue (is that scene where she appears with Ghost walking beside her and Jon is kinda mesmerized at the sight of them)

So i think you just discovered that she's an other

OH NOEZ!!!11!

Nice find, Val. This proves ^_^, that Jon will be the new Night King and Val his Other Queen.

• 2 weeks later...

Bloodraven may be the most famous archer in the books, but there are others, such as Alleras the Sphinx (allegedly Sarella Sand, daughter of Oberyn Martell of Dorne), and Anguy the Archer of the Brotherhood with Banners (who hails from the Dornish Marches). Now, I'm not suggesting Bran saw either of them, but it's possible GRRM may have been making an extremely oblique reference to certain other events in the past, events taking place far to the south. Past events that may foreshadow future events.

It would make more sense that he was a Stark or some other blood kin to Bran, rather than a Dornishman, seeing as the other people in Bran's vision were all Starks. But if he was from Dorne, he may have been a Stony Dornishman, who hail from the Red Mountains where the Tower of Joy is located. They have the blood of both Andals and First Men in them, and are therefore not as dark-complexioned as Dornishmen from the deserts or the coast. (He may have been one of Bloodraven's archers, who knew of his preference for using weirwood arrows and thought to emulate him. But the Blackfyre Rebellion took place in the Riverlands, so what could he be doing at Winterfell? There were other weirwoods in the South he could have used instead, unless there is something pretty special about Winterfell's tree. The only known connection between Dorne and Winterfell that I know of is that Abel sings "The Dornishman's Wife" in its halls.)

In any event, the pale youth carves three arrows from the weirwood. Weirwoods are most commonly associated with the North.

Way down South, at the Tower of Joy, "were seven against three."

Seven against three. What could those numbers represent? There's the Faith of the Seven, which rebelled against Maegor I Targaryen. As we know, the Targ's (and the Blackfyre's) sigil is a three-headed dragon (and Bloodraven and his archers killed three Blackfyres, Daemon, Aemon, and Aegon during the Blackfyre Rebellion). However, the seven at the Tower of Joy were men of the North and presumably all followers of the Old Gods. The three they fought were of the South. Moreover, they were members of the Kingsguard to the Targaryen King Aerys II. Three defending three (heads of the dragon) against seven.

So was the Tower just another place where Targ loyalists fought rebels? Well, yes. But again, look at the specific makeup of the combatants: Northerners versus Southerners. The Old Gods versus the new ones. Ice versus Fire. And the North wins. It takes a beating, but it wins.

It's all very convoluted, I know. But there just might be something to it.

Nice find, Val. This proves ^_^, that Jon will be the new Night King and Val his Other Queen.

Oops, I havent seen this, but yes, I got strong pale woman/Night's King vibes from that scene :dunno: if it was just a mistake of GRRM about the eye color, it was a very confusing one.

I hope that he one with the pregnant woman will be clarified in the She-Wolves of Winterfell. I believe that in the last Dunk and Egg story was mentioned Beron Stark as the ruling lord in the North. Maybe he was killed while fighting against the Ironmen, and left behind his pregnant wife? Maybe it was Edwyle´s mother.

One last thing: Is it just me, or were the old Kings of Winter portrayed as the Celts?

It's one of the She-Wolves of Winterfell, I think. The five Lady Starks who were all widowed in quick succession and had to band together to rule Winterfell until the next Lord Stark came of age. I'm about 80% sure that the newest Dowager Lady Stark was preggers when her husband died in an ironborn attack.

One of the Starks is killed suppressing the rebellion in Skagos about one hundred years prior to AGOT - could this part of the vision be his widow?

@Val

At the risk of Egoist Musketeer un-liking my post again, the wink was only connected to the "proof". I really liked your find and made the same connection. It led to interesting discussions at the heresy - , the Mance Raydar... - and the Howl at the Moon threads.

I think the first one is quite obvious (Ned praying after he presents Jon to Cat). The second one is quite obvious too (Lyanna and Benjen - the girl looks like Arya, and we know Lyanna liked playing with boys' toys and was quite fierce). Can't be sure about the others, but I agree with some of the theories floating around (Old Nan and Dunk for example). What I really want to know is, are these just random visions or has Bran seen them for a reason?

I hope that he one with the pregnant woman will be clarified in the She-Wolves of Winterfell. I believe that in the last Dunk and Egg story was mentioned Beron Stark as the ruling lord in the North. Maybe he was killed while fighting against the Ironmen, and left behind his pregnant wife? Maybe it was Edwyle´s mother.

Agreed! Wish we knew more about the Stark family tree. It could be future Jeyne, pregnant with Robb's child, but do we think she'll ever return to Winterfell? Just wondering, because am pretty sure this vision takes place at the Winterfell weirwood with the black pool at its base, not necessarily at Greywater Watch/hiding with Howland Reed. Unless there is a similar black pool there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think we are onto something here that I wish I had not found out until it actually happened, because I am going to hate it. Does a Stark need to be sacrificed at the Winterfell heart tree to end a long winter and defeat the White Walkers? Is this why there must always be a Stark in Winterfell? Because Winter is coming? Is this what the north remembers? Is this what Bran sees at the Heart of Winter? This all fits in with the numerous references to the magic of of king's blood. The northern clansmen snowed in with Stannis point out that he must sacrificed to the old gods to stop the snows. Asha also knows, and the ravens:

SPOILER FROM TWOW GIFT CHAPTER

"Then do the deed yourself, Your Grace." The chill in Asha's voice made Theon shiver in his chains. "Take him out across the lake to the islet where the weirwood grows, and strike his head off with that sorcerous sword you bear. That is how Eddard Stark would have done it. Theon slew Lord Eddard's sons. Give him to Lord Eddard's gods. The old gods of the north. Give him to the tree."

And suddenly there came a wild thumping, as the maester's ravens hopped and flapped inside their cages, their black feathers flying as they beat against the bars with loud and raucous caws. "The tree," one squawked, "the tree, the tree," whilst the second screamed only, "Theon, Theon, Theon."

END OF SPOILER

OMG I hope this is wrong.

The "Like" option seems to have disappeared on me these last couple of days, not sure if that is part of the on-going Forums problems or something on my end. But anyways....

I like this post so much that I am replying in lieu of the missing "Like" button. Very insightful.

Archived