Arya

Hodorific

She did. Not sure about now in Braavos: the extent of her empathy follows how useful the guys are to her; seems interesting that when she drops out of her Cat role, what she misses is the role, not people she doesn't see anymore. For that she doesn't care.

Any kill is justifiale when you see it in the murderer's eyes. When it's not in cold blood, they get a pass (but she was scared and it was in the heat of the moment), and when it's in cold blood it's ok too (but her upbringing is what makes her kill Dareon), meanwhile, when it's Joffrey the exact same action (you know, killing a traitor/deserter) is viewed as the worst thing ever.

She is quite straightforward about missing them and the role for allowing her to interact with them. The FM are quite aware that she enjoyed it.

She comes from a warrior culture where some of the most appreciated attributes a person can have is strength and prowess in battle. All of which is good for killing people, as she has witnessed herself time again. I don't see her as anymore psychotic than any other person that has swung a sword in the series.

That's how she justifies it to herself and the Kindly Man, but the real reason she killed him was to impress the group of killers she's living with (they promoted her so it did work). And also because she was mad at him for not wanting to go back to the Wall just when she was about to ask him to take her back with him. I don't think doing the right thing ever came into it.

Also, she didn't know then that Jon was the LC.

That is an angle that I hadn't considered before. She certainly sounded pleased with herself, but I didn't see any evidence that she was prowling around, looking for someone to kill and she wasn't looking for a pat in the head.

I don't think that kind of anti-social stuff can be flipped off. I've been fairly sure she was beyond redemption since she didn't put the dog out of his misery.

I also thought that this was her only trully cruel deed up until then. I think however that it was because she couldn't bring herself to kill him.

I don't really think she has morals, though.

She has values, she may have a notion of ethics, and she definitely has wants, but I don't see much evidence of morals.

Would you care to elaborate?

I think arya is still blinded by revenge and would eventually use her new skills to finish off anyone left on her list... her not being able to give up needle shows me she is still holding onto that rage that has fueled her...

I think arya is still blinded by revenge and would eventually use her new skills to finish off anyone left on her list... her not being able to give up needle shows me she is still holding onto that rage that has fueled her...

Giving up Needle will be her last test, which she will fail. Also, the way crap follows her around I am amazed that the Faceless Men aren't under siege or being attacked. She is a sh*t magnet. I think that is why she is my favorite character. I can related to that on a personal level.

I think Arya has a keen but undeveoped sense of right and wrong, i.e., it is wrong to torture smallfolk; it is right to kill Tickler. She has the most contact and raport with small folk of any of the Stark children, including Jon. She is being taught bizarre but strict rules of behavior -- if you think about it, a faceless man that strictly follows the rules of his order may be among the safest to have around in that world, because s/he isn't going to kill you unless you've been targeted. I actually think her adventures as the Night Wolf are more dangerous to her moral development than the FM; Nymeria is a savage and indiscriminate killer. And suddenly I've forgotten where I'm going with all this . . .

I guess that I think until she matures a bit, she'll be making decisions on the basis of fair and unfair, and woe be to Stark enemies because she will see their treatment of her family as nothing less than grossly unfair.

• 1 month later...

i got nothing but love for arya like the bride in kill bill she deserves and will get her revenge i don't see her losing her starkness worse they she is like lyanna and she kept needle, homage to jon right there. I see her meeting back up with her wolf and killing alot more people i would be surprised if its her hands around cersei's neck.

In my opinion she is to become an assassin, such as Jaqen H'ghar. She is determined to learn the skills he showed at Harrenhal and has followed this dream all the way to Braavos. She is learning all the skills that she needs to answer her own prayers, which is very important. She works in the house of black and white were people come and pray in their whispers for their own death and sometimes for others, it cannot be coincidental that she whispers her own secret prayer daily, and I also believe this prayer is known by the faceless man, who can see all lies that Arya tries to hide. Now, here is my exact theory for how her storyline will develop:

1. I believe that the faceless man in the house of black and white, who gives her the commands she needs is actually Jaqen H'ghar, and he has simply changed his face as he did when leaving Harrenhal and Arya behind.

2. I believe he is helping her answer her prayer by teaching her the skills to do her own bidding.

3. I can see that at some point a stimulus will make her go to the Faceless man, present the coin given to her and then quote 'Valar Moghulis' at which point the faceless man will reveal himself and also point out that he has taught Arya all she needs to know to be the assassin that he demonstrated to her, and that she can right the wrongs done to her family. This must be the only reason that Jaqen H'ghar/The Faceless Man will allow Arya to do this, as he has seen the evil and scheming ways of the Lannisters and also heard of there misdeeds whilst he was in Westeros.

4. Arya shall then return to Westeros with her mind set and look to destroy the Lannisters from within, using her new abilities.

Lets be honest now, this is the only storyline that really makes sense for Arya to be carried so far to be taught what she is being taught, with only 1 man alive who knows who she is, a man who read her in Westeros as Arya Stark of Winterfell instead of the various 'characters' she became, who has also done the same in Braavos.

Please tell me what you think of my theory either on the forum or by emailing me direct at [email protected]

and for some reason I don't think she'll be the one to "destroy" the Lannisters. They seem to do a pretty good job on their own :)

I'm afraid though that she'll do something really goofy like kill her sister or one of her brothers...

Sorry, Kindly Man, thats the point though isnt it, about punishing her for killing Dareon, she should only kill those whos names have been whispered to the red god, in the way that Jaqen H'ghar did, and im not saying she will end the Lannisters in such a way as to go around killing them all, I just think that she will be more assassin than anything, somewhere south of the wall for definate. It does not make any sense at all for her to go to Jon Snow, her assassin like qualities would be useless north of the wall, but would be extremely good if they were let loose somewhere like kings landing or The Twins....! I dont see Varys aiding her, she wont trust him after her father, but she could always go to The Vale, were as she knows her Aunt would receive her and therefore be assisted by Baelish, so many loose ends that could crawl off in any number of ways, its why we all love them so much, you can never second guess the books, Ned dying, Oberyn dying, Reek in general, Coldhands, Jon Snow (Dead?), Skagos/Wex/Rickon/Manderely, Red Wedding, Beric Dondarrion, so many things that twist and turn, even Tyrion being a success in battle.

I think the key is that Arya is in basic training with the FM. They don't really want her to forget who she is forever, they simply want her to be able to kill and complete assignments without being emotional, and that involved suppressing your indentity as much as possible. Keeping a level head is pretty key for an assasin. I also get the feeling that most of the people trained by the FM become rogues, with loyalty to the House of Black and White. They take on the religion and eventually begin living the life they choose, by the code of the Many Faced God.

They took Arya in when she had nowhere else to go, and have already taught her some decent assasination skills. I think they let people like her go, knowing they will come back every once in a while, and that their secrets are safe. Arya is no danger to them whatsoever, and even if she did tell their secrets to others (which she won't), nobody would believe her.

I not only believe that she will leave when she wants/needs to with no problems, I believe the Kindly Man will welcome it. They claim to believe in all gods, and Arya is a Warg who killed two people on her list and had Needle returned to her the day she sailed for Braavos. If that isn't a sign from the gods, nothing is. If I recall corectly, the FM have hinted they know this about Arya. I really do not believe they see her becoming an all out faceless man, she is much more important to them (and to herself) reclaiming her title in Westeros, with the skills they have taught. The Iron Bank, the FM, and all these other aspects of Braavos are interconnected with each other. Braavos would rather have a loyal and grateful lord/lady in Winterfell than another dime a dozen assasin. I think they do make plays like this, Braavos is a city that really plays the long game.

I don't think Arya will ever truly become "no one". Her refusing to give up Needle was proof enough of that.

As for her greater purpose in The House of Black and White; I think she's meant to learn that killing isn't a tool for revenge. The Faceless Men's belief is that death is a gift, not a form of punishment. Right?

I'm not really sure what's in store for her further down the line, but I think once she returns to Westeros she'll be offered the Dreadfort. If Roose and Ramsay die, which they probably eventually will, she'll be the rightful Lady of it. Technically she is married to Ramsay, even if she wasn't there for the festivities, ha. Whether or not she'll actually take it is lost on me.

I don't think Arya will ever truly become "no one". Her refusing to give up Needle was proof enough of that.

As for her greater purpose in The House of Black and White; I think she's meant to learn that killing isn't a tool for revenge. The Faceless Men's belief is that death is a gift, not a form of punishment. Right?

I'm not really sure what's in store for her further down the line, but I think once she returns to Westeros she'll be offered the Dreadfort. If Roose and Ramsay die, which they probably eventually will, she'll be the rightful Lady of it. Technically she is married to Ramsay, even if she wasn't there for the festivities, ha. Whether or not she'll actually take it is lost on me.

Not really, for the inheriting the Dreadfort part. It would be considered an invalid marriage as it was never consummated and was performed (can't think of the right word here) under false pretenses.

• 1 month later...

Excuse me if this has been suggested before...

I would like to suggest another angle.

If Arya becomes a FM then she accepts that "All Men Must Die".

So how would a follower of this religion deal with one who is reincarnated?

Imagine if Arya, on her way to carry out her assasination, comes across Lady S.

• 7 months later...

She will not inherit the Dreadfort, that's not how that works, she has no children from Ramsay, also the marriage is null. She doesn't have to actually become "no one", she just has to be able to lie about it. Like when she figured out the kindly man was striking her, she saw through the cat because she's a warg, she didn't really figure it out with ears like he wanted her to..

Archived