Outright Lies vs. Sneaky Truths: A Group Project

Awesome thread.. But i thought it was roose stabbed robb stark through the chest with his sword? The first time i read the book i completely missed he was involved... But in the rerea i thought catelyn clearly see this happen.. "jamie lannister sends his regards" or some shit...

Lie: rhaegar kidnapped lyanna

Lie: tyrion killed joffrey?

Awesome thread.. But i thought it was roose stabbed robb stark through the chest with his sword? The first time i read the book i completely missed he was involved... But in the rerea i thought catelyn clearly see this happen.. "jamie lannister sends his regards" or some shit...

It was Roose who killed Robb. The point is that he's never positively identified by name. He's identified by his clothing and his words to Catelyn. But nowhere does it say, "Roose Bolton personally killed Robb." And Bolton himself doesn't speak of it, either. It's a small thing, yes, and not hard at all to figure out. Yet Martin still presented it obtusely rather than spoonfeed it.

Just brought this up elsewhere...doubt I'm the first to see this, and if this isn't the thread, please tell me and I'll remove it.

But the grammar of the mummer's dragon to me doesn't read as people seem to be reading it. It reads possessive, with the owner being the one pretending to be something he/she isn't, and the dragon's legitimacy unquestioned.

Just brought this up elsewhere...doubt I'm the first to see this, and if this isn't the thread, please tell me and I'll remove it.

But the grammar of the mummer's dragon to me doesn't read as people seem to be reading it. It reads possessive, with the owner being the one pretending to be something he/she isn't, and the dragon's legitimacy unquestioned.

I think it's deliberately vague. It could be a fake, or it could be real, but manipulated. Or it could be a fake that's manipulated.

Is it a "mummer's dragon," in the sense that it's a fake altogether? Or is it a mummer's "dragon," a real Targaryen manipulated by a mummer?

While I do think that Aegon is not Aegon and is probably a Blackfyre, I'm starting to believe that ultimately, he'll live and die and we'll never know what the actual truth is. I think that's actually a far more complex conclusion and introduces a lot of moral ambiguity. Say that Dany fights Aegon and ultimately kills him. Was she fighting a fraud who was honing in on her birthright, or is she a paranoid kinslayer who murdered her nephew over some vague prophecy she believes in?

I think it's double entendre - can mean a fake dragon or a dragon which or who belongs to a mummer.

Sybelle Spicer/Westerling used some of Grandma Maggy's love potions to set up Jeyne and Robb & she gave Jeyne moon tea while she was married to Robb.

Mance's washerwomen/spearwives have fun killing people at Winterfell (except Little Walder) and engineering the stables collapse.

PS: Apple Martini, I want to marry you.

GRRM has a tricksy twisted mind, but that's what makes for such great literature. Really, ASoIaF is rapidly outpacing even my childhood favorite fantasy, LotR, although it still can't hold a candle to Hitchhiker's Guide.

Not bad for a girl in her jimjams. How very Arthur Dent of me!

One thing I don't understand - the black tom, a cat, is somehow supposed to be Balerion, a dragon? Someone please explain!

With me being a huge HGTG fan, I wouldn't compare it to ASOIAF - with Douglas Adams' masterpiece being a highly philosophical series (the later, darker books mostly) and GRRM work being much more Tolstoy' like epic.

IMHO, HGTG is more resembling S.Lem' "The Star Diaries".

Great book-taste, anyhow.

It was Roose who killed Robb. The point is that he's never positively identified by name. He's identified by his clothing and his words to Catelyn. But nowhere does it say, "Roose Bolton personally killed Robb." And Bolton himself doesn't speak of it, either. It's a small thing, yes, and not hard at all to figure out. Yet Martin still presented it obtusely rather than spoonfeed it.

It is not officially disclosed, that it was Bolton himself, who've waved the blade. There is a thread in these forums, that suggests, that it was Steelshanks Walton (because of the words that's been said to Rob, have been said previously by Jaime to Walton).

Sybelle Spicer/Westerling used some of Grandma Maggy's love potions to set up Jeyne and Robb & she gave Jeyne moon tea while she was married to Robb.

Mance's washerwomen/spearwives have fun killing people at Winterfell (except Little Walder) and engineering the stables collapse.

PS: Apple Martini, I want to marry you.

HAHAHAHA! Is that an outright lie, or a sneak truth?

Archived