Was Viserys Really The True Heir?

Dragonreaver

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to believe simply that not all childs are born with the same gift.

I'm definitely inclined to feel this way as well, just as some children inherit certain traits of their parents and their siblings might not, I guess you could say (as flippant as this may sound in the genre of fantasy) that it just comes down to genetics?

I'm wondering if maybe it has to with their soul, as in who they are on the inside. Maybe Dany has earned the gift of being the dragon while Viserys did not...

How did the eggs come to her, btw? I don't remember...

I'm wondering if maybe it has to with their soul, as in who they are on the inside. Maybe Dany has earned the gift of being the dragon while Viserys did not...

Magister Illyrio bought it on Asshai and gave her as a wedding gift.

Are there even any other examples of Targaryens NOT being affected by fire in their history?

As far as I know, Danaerys is the only one. This doesn't mean that other Targaryens like Viserys were not true Targaryens.

Are there even any other examples of Targaryens NOT being affected by fire in their history?

As far as I know, Danaerys is the only one. This doesn't mean that other Targaryens like Viserys were not true Targaryens.

Prince Aerion Brightflame died burnt by inside...

• 2 weeks later...

I think Viserys was a real Targaryen but I think Daenerys was the true heir of the Iron Throne. I think with the whole (fire+eon old dragon eggs=dragon life) was like a way of the dragons saying she had there blessing to keep these dragons as her own since all the previous Targaryen kings had there own dragon.

The eggs were a gift to her on her wedding day by Illyrio Mopatis (The guy Viserys and Dany were staying with until Dany's marriage to Khal Drogo)

I beleive that he was a true heir, but by name and birth right alone. He would not have been a good king, and even Dany states at one point in GoT that she didn't believe he'd ever return to Westeros to reclaim the Iron Throne. He would more than likely end up as another Mad King, or maybe sadistic like Joffrey, he did abuse and threaten his own sister after all. We're probably fortunate that he was killed off early, he hindered Dany's development and he was a nasty piece of work =p

• 2 months later...

Jon Snow is the rightful Targaryen heir!

Being a "Dragon" isn't synonomous with being a Targaryen. In terms of the line of succession Viserys was the rightful heir, but he didn't possess the strength to lead. Dany a true Dragon. Viserys would have been exactly like Joffrey or even worse.(The Mad King part 2)

What? Jon Snow?? huh?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He's still a mortal being, and fire didn't kill him, molten gold did.

There are numerous Targaryens mentioned throughout the books who died in fires, even Targaryen kings. Aerion the Monstrous died after drinking Wildfire. Rhaenyra Targaryen was killed by her brother's dragon. Aegon V and his son died in the fire at Summerhall. There's no reason whatsoever to assume any other Targaryen is constantly fireproof.

• 6 months later...

When Dany said that Viserys was not a true dragon she meant that he was not a true king, or a good leader(which he wasnt).tBut he was still heir to the throne(going by the Targaryens claim to the throne) because he is older than her. that is how succesion works. He may not be as good a leader as her, but his claim to the throne would be more legit than hers.

Archived