My favorite chapters in the book were Cersei

JamiesRightHandMan

Followed by Jamie. Cersei brings her inner pycho to a new level, and her last chapter put a huge smile on my face. I really enjoyed picturing Cersei lose it a little bit more per chapter. Cersei was constantly thinking mad shit to herself almost all the time.

Jamie, on the other hand, (no pun intended) seems to be on a path to redemption. I think that we all saw a real change for the better from Jamie, and I almost pity the man. I am certainly rooting for him. Lets not forget that Jamie is quite the comedian sometimes as well.

What I love about these books is that there is no wrong answer to the question: who is your favorite character in ASOIAF, after reading 4 of the books, I can safely say that Jamie is mine, while watching Cersei lose her shit is easily the most enjoyable part of reading them right now.

I agree with you, Jamie certainly is on the path to redemption, and Cersei is clearly nuts.

Before AFFC I honestly thought Ceresi was one of the most clever players of the Game of Thrones, but, by AFFC every plot she undertook, we could see her thought process and there was flaws in everyone. It is good to see her getting her cumuffins (how the hell do you spell that word?)

Let's not forget that she's not dead yet, someone will probably rescue her, Jamie is the one who will kill her, and that time is not yet.

Cersei seems to be the perfect example of an ambitious person.

She wants to rise to the top. She has all these tricks and little plans how to do it. She is ruthless. Destructive. Kills anything that comes in her path. Gets rid of all the competition.

But when she is at the top, she is completely clueless.

The only thing she knows how to do is to kill the competition. Destroy everything in her path. But when she is not moving, there is no path. And she destroys everything around her.

This reminds me of current-day politicians. In many countries. They know how to get elected. They know how to survive in "party politics". How to get on the important seats. How to do their public relations. How to play the game. But once they get to the real power, they are completely clueless. They have no idea what to do with their power. No plan. No goal. No imagination. No balls. Nothing. All they can do is just go with the flow.

Cersei is indeed a very ambitious person, but her fall from grace can be attributed to her having way too much power. AFFC is the first book in which she has absolute power as previously she had to contend with the different hands, Petyr, Varys. Now that they are out of the picture, there is no one to really question her authority or inform her of her mistakes. She's left to her own devices.

I did really enjoy her POV"s as they mostly focused on her scheming and gave us a glimpse of her twisted mind. having said that ,she's actually the only POV who is still as despisable as before.

Cersei's chapters were interesting to read, definitely - for the first three books she just seemed like this cunning, cold bitch, but reading the story from her POV showed that she's really just a bitter and paranoid woman who wants power but cannot wield it. Also, the prophecy that is mentioned also interested me, especially the part where it mentioned she would be cast down by a more beautiful queen. I still can't decide which one is more likely!

My favourite chapters of the book though were Jaime's. I liked his change in character after losing his hand, and the fact that he became a much more moral person. Including the POV of the despised Kingslayer made him appear much more human

Followed by Jamie. Cersei brings her inner pycho to a new level, and her last chapter put a huge smile on my face. I really enjoyed picturing Cersei lose it a little bit more per chapter. Cersei was constantly thinking mad shit to herself almost all the time.

Jamie, on the other hand, (no pun intended) seems to be on a path to redemption. I think that we all saw a real change for the better from Jamie, and I almost pity the man. I am certainly rooting for him. Lets not forget that Jamie is quite the comedian sometimes as well.

What I love about these books is that there is no wrong answer to the question: who is your favorite character in ASOIAF, after reading 4 of the books, I can safely say that Jamie is mine, while watching Cersei lose her shit is easily the most enjoyable part of reading them right now.

The Lannister chapters were my favorite chapters in this book by far.

I also agree that the Lannister chapters carried the book. I don't however agree that Cersei elevated her paranoi or 'psychoness' to another level. I feel like AFFC was just a view point into how she has been approaching everything all along, and ther her new role as queen regent was just too overwhelming for her by herself.

the first time i read her chapters i didn't like them. i somehow found it tiring to have her being paranoid by everyone she encountered, but now i've read the fourth book twice more and something changed in the re-reads which make me enjoy her chapters now and i find her personality enjoyable to read. she charms us just as much as she does people who have met her for the 1st time and don't know what's behind that pretty head of hers...

I like the Cersei chapters too, she is one of my fave characters. I had to smile a little bit at "cumuffins," wasn't sure if that was some Cersei-pun bc she says some pretty gross stuff sometimes lol. But I think the word you were looking for is comeuppance. Seems like the Cersei chapters get you closer to the hand that is moving the story along, at least in this book where she is somewhat in control. The other POVs you read them and then you have to wait til you get to a Cersei chapter to see what's going on with it.

The Cersei chapters really are a good piece of writing - subtle and a slow sink in to madness. Fabulous.

I disagree slightly that the first person point of view shows what she's really been like all along. I think in the first few books she really is calm and collected. She's successful and relatively powerful.

However, in this book I think too much changes and too quickly for her. She's lost so many supportive or familiar strong characters in her life. She has too much responsibility and power and she can't handle it

What's the name of her friend, Lady Merryweather? Perhaps it was explained and I missed it, but I'm looking forward to finding out just whose side she's really on.

I think in the first few books she really is calm and collected. She's successful and relatively powerful.

The way I see it was that she was restrained. I feel like she was always paranoid while knowing her limits. In AFFC she's risen to the highest power while at the same time losing all of her valuable allies and friends. The only people she could truly trust were her family, and they're all gone. So while being unstrained as queen regent without honest and good council, her personality (as I believe it's always been) leads her to make mistake after mistake after mistake.

I hope someone will ask George about this topic one day in an interview or something, because it's interesting.

Since Cersei is easily my least favorite character in the books, I was delighted to read how she digged her own grave (so to speak, I don't think, that she will die just yet). But - surprisingly - her chapters intrigued me for a lot of more reasons: It was interesting how she got more deranged in every chapter and I found it very well delivered by Martin - very believable. I think, that her paranoia were there from the start, but she had always her father and Jaime to hold her back and keep the worst off her. With them gone or no longer on her side, she was helpless and turned to the first person, who was nice to her - Taena. I'm pretty sure, that Taena was a setup from the Tyrells, but if so, she played her part well enough.

ANd the chapters showed, that being a king or queen is no fun at all.

The way I see it was that she was restrained. I feel like she was always paranoid while knowing her limits. In AFFC she's risen to the highest power while at the same time losing all of her valuable allies and friends. The only people she could truly trust were her family, and they're all gone. So while being unstrained as queen regent without honest and good council, her personality (as I believe it's always been) leads her to make mistake after mistake after mistake.

You're right, only the "restraint" that she showed in the first few books wasn't self-restraint. Rather, Cersei was limited in what she could do by those surrounding her- King Robert, John Arryn, Ned Stark, Littlefinger, Tywin, and Tyrion. They all actively checked her might. With all of them gone, she was able to act without restraint. The results were disasterous. She's every bit as bad as Joffrey, which is probably why Joffrey acted the way that he did in the first place.

AFFC was basically the tale of Cersei snatching Lannister defeat from the jaws of victory. She sewed the seeds for her and Tommen's downfall.

Cersei was a masterpiece of writing.

I had always assumed that slipping in someone's POV always makes you somewhat like them, relate to them or understand them better. It's easy to identify with someone if you get all of his thoughts. Cersei and Tyrion's chapters have one thing in common: the split between Jekyll and Hyde, the contrast between their outward behaviour and their internal snarky remarks. But while Tyrion becomes very loveable and relatable, living inside of Cersei's mind was wonderfully challenging.

While you are reading you are contantly challenged into identifying with her, yet she is such a sweetly despicable bitch that you still hate and despise her, even while being her. To be able to write a POV and still making it possible to hate her and enjoy it... that is a true masterpiece. It's the most impressive act George RR Martin has ever accomplished in my eyes.

God I hate the guts of that woman. And her last chapter was so sweet to read.

Archived