What is going on in Skagos?

palemarerider

Weren't unicorns described as sheep with a horn?

Doubt that will inpress anyone.

I remember they were described as huge and shaggy, anyway. I always picture them as crosses between one-horned goats and Clydesdales. With cannibals on top. And I try not to picture them too close to bedtime. :shocked:

Skagos is a strange place. It's supposed to be a vassal to the Starks, but doesn't anyone know if they ever pay taxes or the such?

They probably pay taxes or else how would the Starks know that they are rebelling?? Unless the Skags sent a raven to Winterfell announcing their rebellion which is

1)Stupid

2)Impossible since they don't have maesters.

I actually believe Wex may be lying. Never trust a Greyjoy.

How could a 6-year-old boy with a shaggy wolf hope to lead thousands of hardened men into war? I'd think the Skagosi would be more civilized than to follow him based on prophecies.

Rickon won't personally lead the Skags into battle. No doubt the Skags have their own leaders.

As to why they would follow Rickon - He's a Stark and the Skags are sworn to House Stark not a good enough reason?? They should also feel honored that when threatened, Rickon came to them and didn't go to other places like Last Hearth or White Harbor.

• 3 months later...

I think there is merit to the Ned's mother being a Skagg idea. Wasn't it Winterfell's Maester....damn I can't think of it right now...who said to go to Skagos?

I think the cannibalism thing is blown way out of proportion, I think similar things were said about the Free Folk and I would imagine there would be little difference between the two sets. Whether Rickon has family there or not I suspect Deepdown is the best place in the world to hide from Bolton's and whatever else.

i think Ned's mother was a highborn lady from the Vale. I certainly don't think that she was Skagosi, because they wouldn't have been able to offer as good as a marriage alliance as another great house would, and in any event it would probably be unacceptable for an heir to one of the great houses to marry some island born savage.

Even if she were a skagosi, there's no reason for the skagosi to follow Rickon; he is not one of them.

The free folk became cannibals as a necessity.

Davos knows right away that Skagos is dangerous and near every other source on the Skagosi notes that they practice cannibalism. Presumably they are not in the dire circumstances that the Free Folk are.

I think there is merit to the Ned's mother being a Skagg idea. Wasn't it Winterfell's Maester....damn I can't think of it right now...who said to go to Skagos?

I think the cannibalism thing is blown way out of proportion, I think similar things were said about the Free Folk and I would imagine there would be little difference between the two sets. Whether Rickon has family there or not I suspect Deepdown is the best place in the world to hide from Bolton's and whatever else.

Bran wasn't close enough to hear the conversation between Osha and Maester Luwin before she gave him the gift of mercy. But it's not out of the question that Luwin would suggest Skagos if it has been long forgotten that the Starks have a Skagosi in their family tree. I also think that cannibalism rumor is over exaggerated, a tactic used to dissuade visitors to the Skagosi clans.

I think that the ruling lord or clan chief was probably conflicted about Rickon being discovered on the island. Rickon represents possible danger to the island if he's discovered there, however he is the son of their liege lord who was recently killed by the iron throne. He's just a kid and news probably reached Skagos that Winterfell was sacked and the Ironborn have invaded the North. Even if the Skagosi hold contempt for being ruled by the Starks, it's a far jump to actually killing the vulnerable youngest son of their liege lord.

Considering how dangerous it could be if it was publicly known that Skagos is shielding a male heir to House Stark, I'm guessing that Rickon isn't being pampered and spoiled on Skagos as a member of House Stark. He's getting assimilated into Skagosi culture whether he wants to or not and he better not complain because they're protecting him just as much as Osha and Shaggydog are.

Once the Wall falls and Winter strikes in all its fury, the ice flows might well envelop large parts of the ocean North of the Wall. There is therefore a very real possibility that the northern tip of Skagos - which extends beyond the Wall - might be connected by an ice bridge to the mainland.

In which case Skagos would be completely vulnerable to the Others.

I therefore believe that Skagos isn't just going to send a few thousand warriors with Rickon, they are going to use Rickon as their saviour, and migrate their entire population to the Northern mainland, like the 12 tribes of Israel marched out of Egypt.

So we might well see 50,000 - 100,000 Skagosi migrating to the North, similar to the Wildling invasion. Only the Skags won't be invading. They are subjects of Winterfell, after all. And with Rickon, they even have a sympathetic heir to Winterfell on their side.

Once the Wall falls and Winter strikes in all its fury, the ice flows might well envelop large parts of the ocean North of the Wall. There is therefore a very real possibility that the northern tip of Skagos - which extends beyond the Wall - might be connected by an ice bridge to the mainland.

In which case Skagos would be completely vulnerable to the Others.

I therefore believe that Skagos isn't just going to send a few thousand warriors with Rickon, they are going to use Rickon as their saviour, and migrate their entire population to the Northern mainland, like the 12 tribes of Israel marched out of Egypt.

So we might well see 50,000 - 100,000 Skagosi migrating to the North, similar to the Wildling invasion. Only the Skags won't be invading. They are subjects of Winterfell, after all. And with Rickon, they even have a sympathetic heir to Winterfell on their side.

Very nice idea :). That is the only way to get a big army in a medieval world... a mass migration. Otherwise... if they just send some soldiers to help Rickon or whatever.... 3000 would be a decent number, 5000 would be huge. Now, a total migration, in the middle of winter... they would be doomed.

Very nice idea :). That is the only way to get a big army in a medieval world... a mass migration. Otherwise... if they just send some soldiers to help Rickon or whatever.... 3000 would be a decent number, 5000 would be huge. Now, a total migration, in the middle of winter... they would be doomed.

It's not the middle of Winter yet. And to get their entire population to the mainland, they'd need a rather big fleet of ships. Which brings us to lord Manderlys new fleet of 50 ships. Now Martin just needs to establish a link between lord Manderly and the Skagosi.

Well whadyaknow, here we have Davos doing exactly that. And him being a master navigator and all...

So, my prediction is Lord Manderly's fleet ferrying the entire Skagosi population to the North, in exchange for Rickon. They will settle the Gift and probably get the Bolton lands once Roose is eradicated.

Which would make Roose's random thought about "only the Heart Trees knowing what goes on on Skagos", rather ironic.

It's not the middle of Winter yet. And to get their entire population to the mainland, they'd need a rather big fleet of ships. Which brings us to lord Manderlys new fleet of 50 ships. Now Martin just needs to establish a link between lord Manderly and the Skagosi.

Well whadyaknow, here we have Davos doing exactly that. And him being a master navigator and all...

So, my prediction is Lord Manderly's fleet ferrying the entire Skagosi population to the North, in exchange for Rickon. They will settle the Gift and probably get the Bolton lands once Roose is eradicated.

Which would make Roose's random thought about "only the Heart Trees knowing what goes on on Skagos", rather ironic.

Love your theory.

Just one thing though. Considering Cotter Pyke's comment "dead things in the water" I somehow doubt the Others need land to travel around. They can likely move by water as well. Skagos isn't safe regardless if its connected to land or not.

Love your theory.

Just one thing though. Considering Cotter Pyke's comment "dead things in the water" I somehow doubt the Others need land to travel around. They can likely move by water as well. Skagos isn't safe regardless if its connected to land or not.

Possibly. Although the dead things in the water may just be dead sea creatures. Thus not able to threaten the Skagosi on land.

If the Others could just cross the open water, the Wall would not be much of a barrier to them.

:agree: except the idea that they would give them the second strongest castle in the North, and probably a very fertile land (compared to others). Plus, the people from Skagos living on an island are probably fishermen, it wouldn't be easy for them to change to a mainland kind of living. Sure, Bolton lands have an exit to the Narrow Sea, but well... it's kind of narrow :). What if they settled them on an area which has already been devastated by the war, and fits their way of living?: the Stony Shore? It's about time they had some marcher lords against the ironborn (like the stormlords, or like the Umbers against the wildlings)

:agree: except I can't agree that they would give them the second strongest castle in the North, and probably a very fertile land (compared to others). Plus, the people from Skagos living on an island are probably fishermen, it wouldn't be easy for them to change to a mainland kind of living. Sure, Bolton lands have an exit to the Narrow Sea, but well... it's kind of narrow :). What if they settled them on an area which has already been devastated by the war, and fits their way of living?: the Stony Shore? It's about time they had some marcher lords against the ironborn (like the stormlords, or like the Umbers against the wildlings)

Great idea. The Stony Shore needs new lords and people. Asha said the Stony Shore alone is ten times the size of all the Iron Islands combined. It could absorb the population of Skagos, I am sure.

I think parts of the North will require resettlement once Winter is over, so who knows what other areas might be suitable once that time comes.

If the Others could just cross the open water, the Wall would not be much of a barrier to them.

True, but considering we know next to nothing about the Others or the true magic of the Wall it's hard to say what keeps the Others back and what doesn't. If the "dead things in the water" are more then sea creatures they can likely go to land as well, and "infect" land populations.

I will say this though. The two wights which attacked Old Bear and Jon were apparently stopped by the Wall. Yet once brought inside to Castle Black they were animated again and started attacking. Whatever the Wall is doing it seems to be a magic barrier killing any form of "communication" between the Others and Wights up to that point. However, once on the other side somehow "communication" can be restored between the Others and Wights. Or maybe, the Wights are "reanimated" once past the Wall (considering the hand that Thorne brought to KL was animated for a time). But in other words, once "dead things" get beyond the Wall they can wreck havoc again. The only question is, how independant are the Wights and do they require Other "communication" to get them to attack coordinately, and at what distance do the Others need to be to "communicate" with their Wights.

I think parts of the North will require resettlement once Winter is over, so who knows what other areas might be suitable once that time comes.

A lot of people think the whole North from beyond the Wall to the Neck is a giant tundra wasteland. I don't get that vibe at all. I think Wildlings and Skagosi will resettle the North and we will see that the lands are perfectly capable of supporting them.

True, but considering we know next to nothing about the Others or the true magic of the Wall it's hard to say what keeps the Others back and what doesn't. If the "dead things in the water" are more then sea creatures they can likely go to land as well, and "infect" land populations.

I will say this though. The two wights which attacked Old Bear and Jon were apparently stopped by the Wall. Yet once brought inside to Castle Black they were animated again and started attacking. Whatever the Wall is doing it seems to be a magic barrier killing any form of "communication" between the Others and Wights up to that point. However, once on the other side somehow "communication" can be restored between the Others and Wights. Or maybe, the Wights are "reanimated" once past the Wall (considering the hand that Thorne brought to KL was animated for a time). But in other words, once "dead things" get beyond the Wall they can wreck havoc again. The only question is, how independant are the Wights and do they require Other "communication" to get them to attack coordinately, and at what distance do the Others need to be to "communicate" with their Wights.

A lot of people think the whole North from beyond the Wall to the Neck is a giant tundra wasteland. I don't get that vibe at all. I think Wildlings and Skagosi will resettle the North and we will see that the lands are perfectly capable of supporting them.

Indeed. The tundra wasteland only starts north of the Haunted Forest, about 600 miles BEYOND the Wall.

The rest of the North has a wide variety of terrain and climate zones. With the nice fact that even the utter northernmost part - the Gift - is good farmland.

Hence the areas stretching more than 1000 miles south of that to Moat Cailin must be even more fertile.

I don't think that Bran knows/thinks Rickon is in Skagos. At one point he thinks something like:

"Rickon was probably safe in White Harbour by now, eating scones in front of a fire."

Which suggests that there was never an agreed plan to take Rickon to Skagos. It is something that Osha came up with by herself after she had parted with Bran et al. And how would Osha know that a long-dead Stark had married a Skagg? It seems unlikely, to me at least, that Rickon is there due to family ties.

I don't think that Bran knows/thinks Rickon is in Skagos. At one point he thinks something like:

"Rickon was probably safe in White Harbour by now, eating scones in front of a fire."

Which suggests that there was never an agreed plan to take Rickon to Skagos. It is something that Osha came up with by herself after she had parted with Bran et al. And how would Osha know that a long-dead Stark had married a Skagg? It seems unlikely, to me at least, that Rickon is there due to family ties.

Maester Luwin did his job well if Bran thinks Rickon is in White Harbour.

I am 99% sure that Luwin directed Osha to Skagos, and 90% sure that a major part of his reasoning was a Stark family connection.

Archived