Help me! Can't view profiles or use private messenger!

Slurms McKenzie

Help!!!! :bawl: For some reason I can't view my own or anybody else's profiles or use private messenger anymore, I keep getting this community message error thingy saying I don't have permission!!! Why???? :crying:

I believe they disable profiles when the forum traffic gets real busy. I can imagine it will only get worse as we get closer to the season 2 premiere. Plus, a new trailer came out last night I think.

In the past these features have been turned off because it helps the board survive under the weight of the increased tv show traffic. The 'view new content' feature is also disabled. I think the idea is that leading up to Season 2 and for a while after those features won't be available, at least until things calm down a bit.

But the problem will go away in a bit though??? :ohwell:

It did after season 1. This is nothing new, so there should not be anything to worry about. It is just frustrating. As for the search tool, google works just fine for me. Just make sure there is enough context in your keywords for ASOIAF.

You may find that some features are turned back on during the quieter times (ie. morning in Eurocommieland), though don't take my word for it!

Morning in eurocommieland?? :huh: You mean Europe?? In that case I'm in luck!! :P

I believe they disable profiles when the forum traffic gets real busy. I can imagine it will only get worse as we get closer to the season 2 premiere. Plus, a new trailer came out last night I think.

Yep, basically the SQL(which is a database language) error says it all, 'too many connections'. Simply put it, all the site information(posts, profiles, etc) is stored in the DB, any action you make is request to the DB, with the TV show season 2, there is an increase amount of users visiting our shores(by increased I mean doubled if not tripled), which over taxing the DB, thus some of the less popular features are turned off, like our profiles, searches, the IPB bridge to the wiki, etc...

It easy to know when this happens, for example at the forum the list of connected user that usually appears at the bottom disappears or at the wiki the IPB icon at the bottom right is gone(which, only effect new users who never logged in before).

Personally, I found it annoying that when the search function is down, the google option disapears from the search options and only the funciton that dont work stays... Anyway, if anyone want to use the search function you can use google, simply type whatever you want and add this string:

site:http://asoiaf.westeros.org/  

Now you can use it to search for Ran post on the topic, as I specifically recall seeing more than a few of them in the past, that explained this all in great detail.

Hey Slums, me too. I forgot that they shut things down when stuff gets busy. All those new interviews, pictures, videos etc etc. I was wondering why the user ids on a thread disappeared - that should have been the first clue!

Here's hoping it doesn't last too long, or I'm gonna do a Stannis and destroy my teeth. LOL

Thanks for the explanation -- I thought I had been a bad girl and had my privileges taken away. I should have known better -- it's been 30 years since I've been that bad.

LOL me too! Glad i found this thread, I was about to send an email asking what I'd done. A whole day seemed too long for it to just be an error, but apparently they're trying to make up for increased site traffic. Good to know.

Archived