Most Annoying Saying

1. Describing a wound as a red ruin.

2. Brushed hair until it shone.

3. "Wherever whores go."

4. Patchface, "I know, I know, I know."

5. Hodor said, "Hodor."

Hodor said, "Hodor." is possibly the most profound statement in the entire works. I LOVE it.

It is known.

IT IS KNOWN

a rant in a few words.

IT IS KNOWN

Grr. Not the books that much.

I have not been here all that long (compared to how long this joint has been). Yet my post count does not indicate the years I have been lurking.

I have never been a good contributer, just a mild-mannered lurker who admires the folk who come up with awesome theories or have awesome recall or insight.

Until recently that was fine with me.

But,"It is known" is upsetting me now.

So many newfolk. Makes the server angry. Makes members angry.

I absolutely hate reading a thread where a person makes a claim and backs it up with that phrase.

Totally dismayed by how many people, even people I used to respect use this phrase as a way to shut down newfolk questions.

To just state a pet theory as fact and say, "It is known" is, idk, sad. Yet seems to be enough to destroy a promising thread. Especially if an older member uses that phrase.

It implies that not only is questioning wrong, but the questioneer somehow missed out on being blessed with that knowledge by not having read it close enough but they lack for that.

Or to just be old enow to read. iI did not begin to read the series until; 2001. Only because the guy who recomended it to me had never read Tolkien. It was a literary 69.

New opinions should always be welcome. If it is older, it is incubent upon us to steer them to the right area. Not deluge them with wildcard theroies.

Right? Right?

To give a fake example:

Hey what if Jon is actually a chipmunk?

(Links to past threads) Encouragement to her question. Suggests posts ( and bless all you who do so).

Excellent

Well, we talked about that in these threads XYZ.

Good deal.

Doesn't link. Claims lazy or superior to care or bother. Gives away the consensus opinion. unqualified.

Still more to discuss blah blah...

Lets move that threads ideas here and get more exposition on it, maybe we have more to discuss.

Okay deal.

No, he is a secret chipmunk.. It is known.

Asks how, what did I miss.

It is known (basically stfu).

Fine. I just asked a question. I am new here, no idea how to use search. Will throw my self off a nearby tower.

Not cool.

There are going to be trolls. There always have been. But IIK really is the same as STFU.

I know I am venting. But I now hate the phrase.;Hate to see it used this way.

It is now known that "it is known" annoys you. :drunk:

any mention of melisandres ruby

pulsing ruby at her throat, drinking in the dark

the great ruby at her throat, pulsing with radiance (aaaergh everything about that stupid necklace makes me want to throw up. or throw a punch.)

it disgusts me to no end.

plus any description of melisandre's appearance in general. grosses me out.

You know nothing, Jon Snow. I know, I know, I know. Wherever whores go! Under the sea, the whores break their fast on the eyes of drowned sailors. If I look back, I am lost! Hodor! With fire and blood, mayhaps, my coz, or a meagre drop of hippocras! Heh! Much and more and little and less, it is known! Pray excuse me, I must sup upon these buttered neeps!

u so mad

"Reek, Reek it rhymes with '------------'" and "I know, I know, oh oh".

Whenever Patchface is around or ADWD Theon's the point of view that's what we hear and it's just too repetitive for me, they were annoying the first time I read them anyways.

Other than those I like a lot of the sayings Martin came up with.

"Wherever whores go" and "Lancel and Kettleblack and Moonboy for all I know"

Special mention: "The night is dark..".

I am also tiring of the "Bear and Maiden Fair"

Exactly same here! Plus reek, it rhymes with .... I used to hate patchface saying I know, I know oh, oh. But now that I know he actually knows, I don't hate it anymore.

Most annoying has to go to 'where do whores go'?

Special mention to 'I'm just a young girl' - first time round 'oh I see what she's doing', but after she says it the 20 millionth time - 'We get the fricking point already'.

Also on a slightly related note, I'm currently re-reading ASOS and there was a mention of 'his man staff' which made me cringe so badly. I don't know why after how many other sex scenes I'd read so far that was what made me cringe in particular, but it did.

"Where do whores go" has become a pet peeve for me. Tywin had no idea where Tysha ended up, and did not care about it. He wasn't trying to give instructions for a place.

I don't mind Daenerys' titles and I actually like hearing about Valyria. What I fin tiresome is the constant

*"Our vows", "their vows", "his vows", "the vows you swore", "hold to his own vows", "keeping those vows", etc. The entire Night's Watch and the characters dealing with them can't shut up about the vows. Irri and Jhiqui are less repetitive,

The only one I actually liked is Three Fingered Hobb's "bloody vows"

• 3 weeks later...

I find many of the phrases mentioned above too repeated.

And my probable addition (I haven't gone through all this thread!) :

When handling over a sword/knife/dirk, mentioning "hilt first".

"At least he has the grace to blush"

They are good phrases. But after a few repetitions, they just stand out!

brushed her hair till it shone - does it even work in real world?

I know this is ancient, but yes, yes it does. You brush your hair to remove all the dead hair (and tangles and whatever) and what is left should be shiny and healthy.

"I am only a young girl, and know little of..." Shut up Daenerys. We know that you know more than you're claiming to, but also know that you know less than you think you do. So shut up.

Archived