Girls

Guest Raidne

And how the fuck would I know it's "very progressive show that appeals to the liberal academic hipster set" I live in Australia, the pilot will probably air here in 2 years.I just clicked on it because it was on the front page, saw (what I thought) someone bitching about liberal media while trying to discuss a television show. My mistake, doesn't make me a "dipshit" or a noob for that matter.

That's funny, cuz I'm pretty sure men don't like the nice girls. I can always tell that one mean, mysterious, neurotic, needy, dismissive bi*** on the bachelor that the guy is intrigued by and refuses to kick off.

That's pretty interesting, as is Triskele's post which prompted yours. How do you define "nice" (man or woman)?

Btw, I don't believe in "nice" when it comes to relationships. I believe we're guided by animalistic instincts of capturing and retaining a mate. Acting nice is a tactic which is more natural to some than others. As it is merely a tactic, and not genuine goodness, it's consequently no longer, by common definition, nice. Now, this may be overcomplicating things a bit.

On a more basic level, being nice to someone, requires (IMO) for that someone to be be just as nice to you. I'm not a "traditionally" nice guy myself. If a girl who knew me and wanted me, acted nice to me, I'd be confused, and actually would not think highly of her. Acting nice to someone non-nice is, to me, a sign of weakness. Commonly, this sort of person is ideal candidate for an abusive relationship. In the immortal words of the lolcat: do not want.

I'm not nice, and my SO isn't. I can count the number of times we fought in the last 6 years on a single hand. We fit each other perfectly. I suspect that the problem comes from this: the are more meanies than (true) nices. Because meanies know that they can't make it work with a nice, they are looking for other meanies. Nices get discouraged, and either submit themselves to an abusive meanie (textbook scenario) or settle for half-meanie (risky) or find another nice. Unfortunately nice-nice relationship is risky as well, because going back to my original point, many nices are nices by mother nature which wants them to make babies. Eventually they figure out that they are actually a bit of a meanie.

My mistake, doesn't make me a "dipshit" or a noob for that matter.

Your first post in this thread referred to the tv show being discussed as "shitty" despite the fact that you haven't seen the show. That's makes you come across as a dipshit. Calling Raidne a redneck in the very same post despite not knowing a thing about her makes you come across as a n00b. FYI.

No, the fact that you haven't apologized does.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise this was any of your fucking business.

Your first post in this thread referred to the tv show being discussed as "shitty" despite the fact that you haven't seen the show. That's makes you come across as a dipshit. Calling Raidne a redneck in the very same post despite not knowing a thing about her makes you come across as a n00b. FYI.

Ok, next time I'll be sure to invite her to dinner and talk things over before I make an assumption based on something she said on the fucking internet.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise this was any of your fucking business.

Come on buddy, a simple "sorry" isn't going to kill you. You jumped the gun, threw out a stream of insults, and completely pegged someone for something they weren't.

For the record, Triskele may be right about the nice-guy-finish-last thing because your obnoxious attitude is kinda turning me on.

Guest Raidne

No, Mandy, upon a reread, that bit about my parents does sound jaded and bitter. I'm trying to decide if being jaded and bitter makes this show more or less appealing. The thing with Hannah is that she doesn't seem overtly that upset about her parents cutting her off, the fact that she's sleeping with an asshole, losing her job, etc. It's like...in her world, it's just not done to actually express authentic negative emotions, like you're obligated to make your problems witty and entertaining to get your friends to listen to them. None of the girls seem to want to really lean on each other for support, overtly. Company, yes, Intimacy even, yes. Meaningful emotional support, not really. I can't remember - is that just not done ever at 24, or are they trying to make a point about current culture and the shallowness of interactions?

I'm sorry. I admitted I made a mistake I was as amiable as possible. I sincerely apologise for any discontent I may have given anyone on this post.

I'd also like to remind Mr. Sciborg 2 that I'm a 15 year old guy and that's not entirely appropriate. And I am a nice guy, I just happen to get annoyed easily.

I'd also like to remind Mr. Sciborg 2 that I'm a 15 year old guy and that's not entirely appropriate. And I am a nice guy, I just happen to get annoyed easily.

Damn, you're 15.

Ah well, you might want to put me on ignore then, I'm sure 65% of what I say is inappropriate....then again, so is this show.

Guest Raidne

I think she hangs around with him because she thinks he's interesting and just hasn't really got a good handle on the importance of the relationship part of the relationship yet. Sort of like...she likes hanging out with him and messing around with him like she likes a great movie. It's there, you enjoy watching it, maybe it even fills some emotional needs for you, but you're not expecting or demanding any effort on its part.

I'm unsure about this. Every fucking liberal media reviewer (he he) seems to think that she doesn't see that she's being used, but I think maybe they're just too, I don't know, old to really get this. I don't want to say that it's "post-feminist" because that means something different and Pagila-like to a lot of people, but maybe it shows how feminism has progressed. After all, a guy can sleep with a girl who isn't interested in an actual relationship without being used if he's happy with what he's getting, for the most part, or at least we don't traditionally feel as bad for him as we do for the woman, and maybe things have just gotten to the point for people in that age group where it's not any different for women. Like, it's unfortunate if she wants more than that, sure, but the way he's being with her maybe isn't an affront against all womanhood anymore.

I don't really get the whole "I can't relate to this show because they're girls" thing. As a 29-year-old european dude I felt uncomfortable at times watching that first episode, because I felt some of the things going on were actually striking too close to home.

Sure, I've never taken a bath with a friend shaving his legs (or whatever that character was doing in the show) in the same room, but the relationships, the attitudes, the stupid advices and the whole atmosphere really brought me back a few years ago, and not always in a good way.

Now, I thought most of the character weren't really likeable during that first 1/2 hour, but watching them fail their way around at least made me feel sympathetic towards them, and if the next episodes are well done enough, I'll probably end up caring about them.

Also, it was really funny at times, and that doesn't hurt in a comedy.

Damn, you're 15.

Ah well, you might want to put me on ignore then, I'm sure 65% of what I say is inappropriate....then again, so is this show.

No no, inappropriate is fun...as long as it's not directed towards me in a homosexual way (:

No no, inappropriate is fun...as long as it's not directed towards me in a homosexual way (:

Well, for the record I'm straight but this is a pretty gay friendly board.

I'm still kinda shocked there are 15 year olds on Westeros...

Well, for the record I'm straight but this is a pretty gay friendly board.

I'm still kinda shocked there are 15 year olds on Westeros...

I'm not a stereotypical 15 year old. I appreciate good literature and have a good understanding of mature subject matter. There's no reason why I shouldn't be on here.

I also use proper grammar which seems like an impossible fucking task for people my age.

I'm not nice, and my SO isn't. I can count the number of times we fought in the last 6 years on a single hand. We fit each other perfectly. I suspect that the problem comes from this: the are more meanies than (true) nices. Because meanies know that they can't make it work with a nice, they are looking for other meanies. Nices get discouraged, and either submit themselves to an abusive meanie (textbook scenario) or settle for half-meanie (risky) or find another nice. Unfortunately nice-nice relationship is risky as well, because going back to my original point, many nices are nices by mother nature which wants them to make babies. Eventually they figure out that they are actually a bit of a meanie.

This is brilliantly insightful, and I'm not just saying that to be nice.

I'm not a stereotypical 15 year old. I appreciate good literature and have a good understanding of mature subject matter. There's no reason why I shouldn't be on here.

I also use proper grammar which seems like an impossible fucking task for people my age.

Not judgement thing -> It's a disconnect on my part. From what I've gleaned about many long time posters here, the youngest are in college.

Archived