[TWOW Spoiler] Night's King - A Turn From Fire to Ice: The Story of Stannis Baratheon

Babeldygob

Indeed, Stannis is pretty much a straight villain as far as I am concerned. His main difference from Roose Bolton is that Bolton acted later and was exposed sooner.

I know that many people think Melisandre acted on her own, and I guess that may well be technically true. But that in no way absolves Stannis from the responsibility for Renly's death or the way it happened, unless we assume that he commited a basic, major strategic blunder in choosing to face Renly with nothing near enough troops to pose a real challenge to him - which is grasping at straws, since he is supposed to be a faily compentent general as opposed to a clueless, inexperienced novice.

What a load of horse shit, to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

Without knowing.

It's clear in the text that he doesn't know what truly happened.

Stannis does everything dutifully. Do you think he didnot ask the reason why Mel wants to bang him and take his seed at the onset of the battle with Renly?

Besides, Stannis knew everything in the case of Penrose.

Stannis does not want the crown more than anything else. He won't sell out his people, even if they were to reject him again and again (which they don't do, obviously, since right now 5,000 Northmen have joined his cause).

If Stannis is going to survive the coming battle, his star is actually about to rise again. He has now plenty of gold, and the chance to hire sellswords - even Braavos itself might enter the war on his side. Manderly and Davos are about to deliver Rickon Stark to him. If the Battle of Winterfell is a decisive victory for him (i.e. if the Boltons don't get away, or if most of their bannermen, say, all the Northern Lords but Lady Dustin, abandon him), the North will effectively be his kingdom.

Since Stannis went north in the first place to fight the real war (i.e. the War against the Others) he won't march south in the near future. He will turn back to the Wall to deal with the Others. Continuing his campaign to conquer Westeros in the thick of winter with the Others in his rear would be completely stupid. Stannis only marched south to make sure that his enemies in the North would not come for him at the Wall!

Also, neither Aegon nor whoever is about to be in charge of King Tommen's administration will try to march north in the thick of winter, either. Aegon (possibly with the aid of Dorne) will try to take King's Landing. That will end this war. Aegon will become the new King on the Iron Throne. If there is any Lannister/Tyrell opposition left he and his allies will march into the Reach or lay siege to Casterly Rock before they'll march north.

Well, I'm wondering if the WW would have some sort of ability to control Stan. It doesn't always have to be a willing defection on his part. He could fall in some battle and the biggest baddest WW could ride over on his dead ice bear and be like "this guy killed 30 of us" or something. He then could transfer his ice power and boom:

Stannis is icy death personified.

I think the TV show already showing the Night King blows this theory out of the water. They seem to think it's someone else, and they know how this story ends. Who says the first night king ever died?

Who says the next Night's King cannot be Stannis? Or who says that he cannot be transformed to an Other?

Being physical transformed takes something away from the whole idea. As is the case with Azor Ahai, I'd rather the players identified with these mythic figures exhibit some of the figures' qualities and characteristics, rather than an outright transformation.

George made a post on his not a blog that implied what the show's doing may or may not line up with his endgame.

Stannis does everything dutifully. Do you think he didnot ask the reason why Mel wants to bang him and take his seed at the onset of the battle with Renly?

Besides, Stannis knew everything in the case of Penrose.

Yet he wondered why he dreams of Renly's death, saying he was in his room when it happened, confused about what exactly went down.

Doesn't sound like someone who knew everything.

I think the TV show already showing the Night King blows this theory out of the water. They seem to think it's someone else, and they know how this story ends. Who says the first night king ever died?

HBO removed the reference to the "Night's King" and claimed it was a mistake. Whether or not you believe that, it should be noted that The Others are not referred to as The Others in the TV show. They possibly could have taken a name from elsewhere in the lore ("Night's King") and slapped it on the being we otherwise know as The Great Other from the books. Or an intern might have gotten a little ahead of themselves. Either way I don't think people should so easily accept the idea that the character we saw was the Night's King of the books just based on a single accidental mention in an episode guide for the show.

Archived