I think Tommen would actually make a great king...

Lady Hodor

I love Tommen, think he's brilliant, everything he does is adorable (stamping the seals, ser pounce, outlawing beets) - And IMO this is deliberately being set up by GRRM to make his inevitable death seem more shocking. Tommen will be the new Aegon and Rhaenys, laid before the throne of the new king.

Noooooo ! That can't be :( :( :(

Noooooo ! That can't be :( :( :(

My exact thought when I came to this conclusion. It's horrific, but perversely fitting - Tommen is pure Lannister stock for at least 2 generations, and possibly 3.

@ bbqq Do you think its some horrible foreshadowing that Tommen has a black kitten, as Rhaenys did? :(

Really? I completely missed that, good catch. This is all pure speculation on my part, but that does give quite a hint, IMO.

The only question is, who's going to kill Tommen? Does any character ever mention their intense love for beets?..

Tommen is too young to tell if he would be a good king. He is kind natured, but he is surrounded by people who wish to control and manipulate him.

Not to mention, he is a Lannister: all enemies of the Lannisters would reject his rule, no matter how just he is. The Lannister influence could also influence and misguide him. I fear for the boy.

My exact thought when I came to this conclusion. It's horrific, but perversely fitting - Tommen is pure Lannister stock for at least 2 generations, and possibly 3. Really? I completely missed that, good catch. This is all pure speculation on my part, but that does give quite a hint, IMO. The only question is, who's going to kill Tommen? Does any character ever mention their intense love for beets?..

Poor Tommen, who loves his kittens, will die as karmic retribution for the death of little Rhaenys Targaryen, another royal child who loved a kitten - both deaths are horribly unfair.

I think that either Jon Connington or Bronn could carry out the killing of Tommen. Jon Connington has sworn to kill all of Robert Baratheon's line; and I could see Bronn trying to curry favor with Tyrion if Tyrion is Daenerys' Hand, or even Tyrion implying, without saying, that it would be better for them if Tommen died.

Tommen would have made a great king if it was Summer. But now Winter has arrived, Westeros is in shambles and the piece that had been made after the War of the Five Kings is being threatened to rip apart. And lets not forget his fair-weather allies in the Boltons, Freys and Tyrells. He never stood a chance. :(

@ bbqq Do you think its some horrible foreshadowing that Tommen has a black kitten, as Rhaenys did? :(

In a twist, Arya could see through the kitten's eyes to learn that Tommen is not an enemy she can hate, but rather she sees a scared little boy to be led out of harm's way and saved?????? This could be conveniently timed against the backdrop of Jaime failing to save the boy king and him believing that Tommen is a goner. Then, when Lannister sees his son alive and realizes the debt he owes to Stark, that may help to make a future possible in which the two families can deal with each other without blades in their hands.

In a twist, Arya could see through the kitten's eyes to learn that Tommen is not an enemy she can hate, but rather she sees a scared little boy to be led out of harm's way and saved?????? This could be conveniently timed against the backdrop of Jaime failing to save the boy king and him believing that Tommen is a goner. Then, when Lannister sees his son alive and realizes the debt he owes to Stark, that may help to make a future possible in which the two families can deal with each other without blades in their hands.

At the very beginning of the books Arya broods on how Sansa gets the tall and handsome prince while she's stuck with the little fat one. It would be funny if she were to even end up marrying Tommen.

Assuming the black widow Tyrell doesn't keep up her streak of failed marriages of course.

At the very beginning of the books Arya broods on how Sansa gets the tall and handsome prince while she's stuck with the little fat one. It would be funny if she were to even end up marrying Tommen. Assuming the black widow Tyrell doesn't keep up her streak of failed marriages of course.

Kinda like how Arya made fun of her future husband to his face when he was upset that his betrothal to her was off and neither of them knew it.

Poor Tommen, who loves his kittens, will die as karmic retribution for the death of little Rhaenys Targaryen, another royal child who loved a kitten - both deaths are horribly unfair. I think that either Jon Connington or Bronn could carry out the killing of Tommen. Jon Connington has sworn to kill all of Robert Baratheon's line; and I could see Bronn trying to curry favor with Tyrion if Tyrion is Daenerys' Hand, or even Tyrion implying, without saying, that it would be better for them if Tommen died.

I can't see Connington doing it, he just doesn't seem like the type of person to kill children. No matter what political views they hold, even in GRRM's world it takes a rather special (or rather, abnormal) person to do that, and I think Connington's sense of morality would take priority to that. I agree that Bronn would be the type of man to do it though, especially as he has already tried to provoke the Lannisters. It would be especially 'karmic' if Tommen was the equivalent of Rhaenys and Aegon when a Targ took the throne, if by karmic we mean the uttery hypocrisy and amorality that seems necessary to hold the throne.

Tommen appears to be a genuinely caring individual with an instinctive understanding that hurting people is bad. That alone puts him head and shoulders above the majority of those seeking power in Westeros. From what little we know of Margaery, she'd be an excellent queen too, and would definitely help him in his rule, shoring up potential lack of political savvy.

Sadly, he's simply too young to be a remotely effective leader. Maybe if he were 5 years older he'd have a shot at doing something and being a good king, but as of now he's not even the king in anything but name, let alone a good one.

Look at it this way: who gains by outright killing Tommen, and who gains by taking him captive/hostage pending decision by their allies?

As far as Baratheon claim goes, if Tommen dies then Myrcella is Queen - and if Myrcella also dies then, Stannis having already died, Shireen is Queen.

Last as of Dance with Dragons:

King´s Landing is basically in Tyrell hands - late ser Kevan had very few Lannister soldiers available, and acquittal of Cersei by her champion would not give her loyalty of Tyrell armies, so not office of Regent either. Tyrells do know of Aegon´s invasion.

Dorne was sending Myrcella to King´s Landing and was unaware that the sailing navy was Aegon´s.

Nobody outside the Wall yet knows Stannis is dead.

Given the recent example of the unpleasant fate of ser Gregor, could the people in position to betray Tommen consider apprehending him and delivering him to winners alive, leaving the others to do their own dirty deeds?

I can't see Connington doing it, he just doesn't seem like the type of person to kill children. No matter what political views they hold, even in GRRM's world it takes a rather special (or rather, abnormal) person to do that, and I think Connington's sense of morality would take priority to that. I agree that Bronn would be the type of man to do it though, especially as he has already tried to provoke the Lannisters. It would be especially 'karmic' if Tommen was the equivalent of Rhaenys and Aegon when a Targ took the throne, if by karmic we mean the uttery hypocrisy and amorality that seems necessary to hold the throne.

Jon Connington hopes, in ADWD, specifically in The Lost Lord, "To end the Usurper's line for good and all, and put Rhaegar's son upon the Iron Throne". He does not sound like he is inclined to let Tommen or even Myrcella live. Perhaps Myrcella might be allowed to live, since she would not carry the name Baratheon if she were married; but I doubt that J.C. would spare Tommen even if he knew that Robert Baratheon did not father him.

Connington also notes, I think in a later chapter, that he had been too merciful in Stoney Sept, the town that hid Robert Baratheon during the rebellion; and reflects that because he did not want to be called a butcher, Robert escaped him and later killed Rhaegar. I don't think this bodes well for Tommen if Connington or his allies/agents capture him.

The idea that Tommen would make a great king suggests Tommen has some qualities that would make him stand out as a ruler. I don't see them, he is a nice enough kid that could probably into an adequate ruler. His most noticable characteristic is he is compassionate / kind / softhearted; the only adult ruler who is also noted for that trait is Edmure Tully - and the general consensus is he would have done fine as a lord in peaceful times but does not have greatness.

Who is in position to do anything about Myrcella? As of the end of Dance with Dragons, Myrcella is in the hands of Doran - and HE wouldn´t kill any children for any political pretext.

The matter may be out of his immediate hands. What does he do when he hears of Aegon´s invasion? Delay or cancel the plans to send Myrcella to King´s Landing? Or they are already sent when the news come, and are intercepted by Aegon in transit, or captured by Tyrells in King´s Landing when Tyrells turn?

After all, there is the question of what to do with the hereditary claims of Baratheons and Lannisters. Who is, for Connington, the rightful lord of Storm´s End? Aegon has no hereditary right to Stormlands, as the King, he should acknowledge his rightful bannerman... which one? He just might claim the whole Baratheon family rightly forfeited for rebellion, but making such forfeitures accepted by the bannermen is a difficult issue.

Archived