[Book Spoilers] Can Ramsay (and Reek) Wait Til Season 4?

Winter is Coming reports that

A recent casting breakdown for season three indicated that the production is looking for a “male 20-30, but weird and extreme looking.” Sounds like Ramsay to me!

Of course, this is just a rumor, but if the casting breakdown is accurate, I'm pretty sure that part is indeed Ramsay.

If I am correct, I could see Ramsay showing up as early as episode 1 of Season 3. Here's how I envision it:

A (recent) flashback of Black Lorren and Dagmar Cleftjaw secretly treating with a creepy looking northman who gives them his sacred word that they can leave Winterfell alive if they turn over Theon Turncloak. Ramsay even shows them the King in the North's royal writ signed by Robb and Roose. To Lorren and Dagmar, this is is a no brainer, and they conk Theon over the head as we saw in the finale of Season 2.

However Ramsay, being a sadistic liar and pyscho, immediately orders the beating and graphic flaying of the Ironmen (except Theon, whose turn will come much later in the series). As Dagmer and Lorren et al are screaming and pleading for their life and cursing Ramsay for breaking his word, Ramsy takes off Theon's hood and gives him an uncommonly creepy look and licks his lips or something. He thanks Theon for capturing Winterfell for him and then orders his men to kill/rape all the reamining Winterfell smallfolk (which will be blamed on the Ironmen, of course) and put everything to the torch. (this proposed plotline means that the writers will have to borrow from A Dance with Dragons, when Ramsay has Reek/Theon capture Moat Cailin by falesly promising the Ironmen they will not be harmed, only to flay all of them once the fort is safely turned over to him)

Somehow they make it clear that all this takes place *before* the Luwin/Bran/Rickon/Osha scene we saw at the end of Season 2. This could be accomplished several ways, and if they do it right it will be terrifying and shocking to non-book readers.

I think they *can* wait until Season 4 to introduce him, but a lot more fun will be had by all if they introduce him right at the beginning of Season 3.

There was never really torture "shown" in the books, just a broken Theon and his memories or lack there of. They could handle it in a similar way in the show.

Also they don't need a flashback to handle the events at the Winterfell sack, just have Roose lie to Robb about how the ironmen didn't betray Theon and instead put Winterfell to the torch before they could be taken; even the most casual of show watcher would know that doesn't make sense. The rest could be handled with introducing Ramsey and his Reek. Ugh, I almost don't want to see that on the show it was pretty disturbing to read it was so well written even though yes it was some of the best chapters in book 5; still, I'm gonna say ugh one more time Ramsey is such a sick puppy.

Yea, I don't like the idea of Ramsay being cast for season 3 or them inventing stuff to keep Alfie a regular. This would just overload the show, what with tons of new characters that they'd _need_ to introduce, since Jon's and Dany's story-lines are kicking into gear. Not to mention that it is unclear if they ever reach the point where Theon becomes relevant again. And even if they do, he will be so drastically changed, that if Alfie won't be available, they can re-cast Theon.

Judging by who is confirmed to be cast, they'll be expanding Robb's story again, expanding Stannis, giving the court in KL it's due place, fleshing out Bran's story, etc. I really don't see much room for expanding Theon's plot too. This season was already a bit too piece-meal, they shouldn't make it worse, IMHO. Everything viewers need to know about WF and Flayed Men stuff stuff, Roose and the Reeds can tell them.

Yes, Alfie is great, but so were Sean Bean, Harry Lloyd, etc. You get my drift.

• 1 month later...

I definitely think they should keep Theon's fate up in the air for as long as possible.... so, just past the RW, if we assume it takes place in 3x07 or 3x08, we hear the real deal from Roose and he presents them with his "piece of prince". Then, in the penultimate episode of the third season or so, we get a look into the Dreadfort dungeons and see.... oh, an old man... no, wait, is that... is that Theon Greyjoy? *door squeals open* etc. etc.

Then have the Kyra situation happen in the season finale.

Before those scenes, we should just be hearing different stories from different characters. Let them confuse the viewers a bit.

Archived