Renly's worth and use?

Batman

What was Renly's true worth? Donal Noye describes him as not worth much, Stannis thinks him a fool, the smallfolk loved him and Tywin thought him less of a threat than Stannis despite him boasting an army of 100,000 against Stannis' 5,000.

What was his worth as a Lord?

What was his worth as Master of Laws?

What was his worth as a man?

Renly would have been a better king than Stannis or Joffrey or Dany in my view. He was loved by smallfolk and noblemen alike, whereas Stannis and Joffrey were at the least, disliked, and Dany's dragons would soon earn her the hate of everyone. Renly might not have been the best general, or king, but he would have had the sense to give some his more important duties to a more able Hand.

Renly might have actually made the best king. Sure he thought war was a game, but he seemed to be an observant politician, at least compared to Robert. However, if Renly was to actually be king he'd need a really competent hand as well *cough*Stannis*cough*. I'd assume as Master of Laws he put in his views as much as the other Small Council folk.

Renly was the best prospective Monarch out of the 5 kings (and the Targs). He wouldn't have been as good a ruler as Tywin, LF or even Varys, but better than any of the other combatants. Stannis would also have been decent.

Renly would have been a better king than Stannis or Joffrey or Dany in my view. He was loved by smallfolk and noblemen alike, whereas Stannis and Joffrey were at the least, disliked, and Dany's dragons would soon earn her the hate of everyone. Renly might not have been the best general, or king, but he would have had the sense to give some his more important duties to a more able Hand.

So, popularity= quality? This is BS. Tyrion was hated by the smallfolk, yet he was clearly an excellent Hand.

Renly was a knight of summer. There's no chance in hell of him being a decent King in time of difficulty. Can you imagine him leading Westeros against the Others? Hah.

Renly was the best prospective Monarch out of the 5 kings (and the Targs). He wouldn't have been as good a ruler as Tywin, LF or even Varys, but better than any of the other combatants. Stannis would also have been decent.

LF and Varys are not meant to be kings. They're clever, but not well liked, and couldn't inspire men to fight for them if they tried. Renly would be better than them.

So, popularity= quality? This is BS. Tyrion was hated by the smallfolk, yet he was clearly an excellent Hand.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Tyrion was the Hand, not the King. The King needs to be loved, inspire confidence, make powerful friends - Renly could, and demonstrated that in getting the support of Highgarden over 'better' Kings. If he had a good Hand, like Tyrion then his reign could have been peaceful and prosperous.

LF and Varys are not meant to be kings. They're clever, but not well liked, and couldn't inspire men to fight for them if they tried. Renly would be better than them.

I said ruler, not king. As far as pure administrative ability, LF and Varys would be better than Renly.

But Renly has the charisma, looks and likeability to be king. He's the perfect figurehead for a kingdom.

I'll repeat the same thing I always end up saying in Renly threads. People say he's just a "knight of summer". How is he any different from Robb before the first battle, except Renly displays a plan for the long game rather than just a short term one. In fact in his single move as a commander he's shown more aptitude than we've seen from Stannis so far. Renly sits in the South letting the two biggest threats to his army bleed each other out. He is starving out King's Landing without subjecting himself to the dangers of a siege and as Tyrion's chapters show the hungrier KL gets the more pro-whoever can bring them food (Renly). Compared to Stannis who sails to attack a fortress reputable as impregnable, when there are close to 100,000 men a few days march away. And then if we take Stannis' word that he had no hand in Renly's death then he seriously thought he could take on 20,000 with 5,000.

Renly was a knight of summer. There's no chance in hell of him being a decent King in time of difficulty. Can you imagine him leading Westeros against the Others? Hah.

Tyrion was a terrible Hand. He introduced further chaos into the city by bringing in his wildmen, put a sizeable part of the population on the road and introduced an unpopular tax..

The one good thing he did was open up the royal woods to allow people to hunt for food.

Tyrion was a terrible Hand. He introduced further chaos into the city by bringing in his wildmen, put a sizeable part of the population on the road and introduced an unpopular tax..

The one good thing he did was open up the royal woods to allow people to hunt for food.

He also stopped Stannis from taking the Iron Throne and sacking the city...

I think saying Tyrion was a terrible hand is laughable. Tyrion actively did what must be done in a siege namely aquire food.

I think Renly is a figurehead, and with a great hand could be the best king westeros has ever seen. Renly fighting the others would be no worse than any of the other 5 kings. Dany is the only candidate that can fill that role well.

I think Renly would have made an excellent lord. He did have the love of the people and all that. But I woudn't root for him as king. He's really not serious enough about the important things.

And he saved the city from another sack, Kingslander might thank him for that. And for Joffrey and his family, he secured the Tyrell and the Dornish alliance, which contributed to Lannisters victory.

For his worth as a Lord or as Master of Laws, not much is said in the books but Renly was a worthless man truly. What did he ever do in his life? Which arrogance made him try to usurp his brother's throne (and his nephew's since he didn't know about the incest). Joffrey would have been a terrible king, but there is Tommen too and Myrcella. Renly meant to usurp their thrones and would have likely killed them. Mace Tyrell wanted a grandson for king and that would have been assured only if Cersei's children were executed. People keep saying that he was popular among the smallfolk which doesn't mean anything. Loras Tyrell was very popular too, so perhaps he would have been a better king than Renly. Renly was popular among some lords such as Mace Tyrell who could use him easily for their ambitions.

Moreover, Renly used to mock Shireen's greyscale-affected figure just to hurt his father, Stannis. Mocking children for their diseases is low, but mocking them to hurt their parents is beyond despicable.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Tyrion was the Hand, not the King. The King needs to be loved, inspire confidence, make powerful friends - Renly could, and demonstrated that in getting the support of Highgarden over 'better' Kings. If he had a good Hand, like Tyrion then his reign could have been peaceful and prosperous.

In other words, he would be a good puppet king?

Again, anyone imagines Renly leading the fight against the Others? Or even the Dothraki? Saving the realm during a very long winter? Not in a million years.

Archived