[TV Spoilers] I don´t understand what happened in Quarth

Thunderfist

Anyway, I totally rooted for her when she "sacked" his place. It'll be interesting to see how the people of Qarth react without any government at all. Perhaps they might even set her up as ruler of Qarth instead of having her go on to Meereen. (Because her conquering Astapor, Yunkai, and Meereen took a lot of time.) But of course, this is all conjecture.

The appearance is given that she only sacks XXD's place. Not the city.

I don't know why everyone thinks Qarth is left without a government.

Even if we exclude the rest of the ruling class in the books.... the CGI view we get, and the only only one we get , in E3, is that there is a vast amount of wealth and infrastructure still intact. Maintained by those who put it there, and that was not all the 13. (By the by there had to be heirs to the 13's wealth.) Other leaders would have arisen from the merchant class ... unless we happen to see the Pureborn at the start of season 3.

No matter, the show story is not going to depart from the next novel so wildly, you can bet on that.

Qarth is on the plot agenda and to Slavers Bay we must go.

I just hope D and D have some solution dramatic narrative snarl presented by Feast and Dragons ... but we have two years to get to there.

The appearance is given that she only sacks XXD's place. Not the city.

I don't know why everyone thinks Qarth is left without a government.

Even if we exclude the rest of the ruling class in the books.... the CGI view we get, and the only only one we get , in E3, is that there is a vast amount of wealth and infrastructure still intact. Maintained by those who put it there, and that was not all the 13. (By the by there had to be heirs to the 13's wealth.) Other leaders would have arisen from the merchant class ... unless we happen to see the Pureborn at the start of season 3.

No matter, the show story is not going to depart from the next novel so wildly, you can bet on that.

Qarth is on the plot agenda and to Slavers Bay we must go.

I just hope D and D have some solution dramatic narrative snarl presented by Feast and Dragons ... but we have two years to get to there.

I never said that she sacked the city. I said she sacked his place. And like I said, it's all conjecture -- cause some of the changes they made I would have never imagined them doing (like the whole stupid fake plot with the Qartheen stealing their dragons and killing XXD and PP).

@jaqenhgar

Your lack of imagination and seeming inability to infer anything without having it explicitly pointed out to you is baffling. Dany's storyline wasn't about Qarth, it simply took place there. Your assumption that none of the Thirteen had any heirs (let alone subordinates who would jump at the chance to take the top spot of their previous boss), based on the fact that none were mentioned in the show, is just silly. But again, Dany's story wasn't about Qarth, it was about Dany. If you want to continue to get yourself worked up over nothing, that's your perogative, but the simple fact that something was not mentioned in the show does not mean it's a plot hole. It just wasn't mentioned; fill in the details as you like, inconsequential as they are.

• 4 weeks later...

The Qartheen consider themselves to be very highly civilized. They seem to value and obey their laws. Most likely, they were not prepared for anything like this to happen. Remember that in the books, it was considered civilized and cultured in Qarth for men to weep. The level of violence and audacity of what Pyat Pree did probably turned that city upside-down. They would not know how to react, except to just lock up their homes and hope the danger will pass them by. They have household guards but may not have the stomach for more violence. Now, that XXD and Pyat Pree are dead, they are free to select new leaders.

it's pretty obvious to me.

Let's look at the timeline, assuming Doreah is somehow innocent:

Dany leaves the house with XXD, Doreah, Irri and her dragons.

Dany returns to find Irri dead, the dragons gone and Doreah missing. We do not know where she has gone.

Some time passes, though probably not much. Dany heads with XXD to the 13 to complain. Jorah goes to Quaithe, then meets up with Dany at the council. XXD announces he and the Warlocks stole the dragons.

Dany escapes to somewhere else. Presumably XXD goes home.

Doreah has been out all this time and returns back to XXD's mansion. Irri is dead, her master gone, and the dragons gone. Let's assume, to keep Doreah innocent, that XXD makes up a lie about Dany taking the dragons and her entire Khalasar to the House of the Undying along with the dragons and that she will never come back. Then he offers to take care of him if he sleeps with her. Doreah, instead of chasing after the Khaleesi, wisely stays with the rich man who can provide.

Dany returns from the House of the Undying to find them in bed. Doreah tries to explain, but decides it is fruitless.

I mean, it's possible. It's not really likely.

What fits some much better? Doreah was complicit with XXD in the theft. That explains why she didn't go to Dany after they were stolen or Irri was killed. It's why she didn't chase after Dany at any point between the theft and being discovered. It's why she had no real excuse all the way in between the bed and being shut in -- why she was appealing to mercy and not claiming innocence. It's why when she came in, it wasn't "Khaleesi! You got your dragons back from the Warlocks!" but rather "He told me you weren't coming back."

It's very cut and dry to me.

Come on. From what we see the likely scenario is that Pyat Pree cloned an army of Prees out of himself and systematically slaughtered all the Dothraki Dany left there. When he reached Dany's room, Irri probably died like a fool but Dorea begged him to spear her life or more likely still, Pree had instructions from Duck-sauce to keep her for him. In any case there was nothing Dorea could have done to stop him. If she really did help him it wouldn't amount to more than the bare minimum of closing them in their cage. We see him managing just fine on his own when he carries them in their cage on his back. Where she is after that is almost certainly locked in some room where she could warn nobody about anything. Duck Sauce would have to be a moron to trust her with all his secrets before he managed to assassinate the other merchant kings and gave enough time for Pree to get the dragons secure in the HotU.

Now Dorea's words do sound guilty but I would have expected Dany to ask her why she did it, even if she was sure Dorea was guilty.

But why would she leave to head in to the unknown when she is the Queen of Qarth? She could just send word that she wanted to buy an army and the slavers would send one to her.

Probably because that would be the biggest kick in the balls to canon since Robb's new lover or Riverrun being removed.

Archived