[Book Spoilers] New Accents for Season 3

A Damp Crannogman

What in the world is a “Mediterranean” accent?

Portuguese? Spanish? Italian? French? Greek? Turkish? Israeli? Arabic?

Those are all going to mess things up. There is no such thing as a Mediterranean accent absent some particular non-English language. And those will all of them be a problem.

Oh dear, Portugal isn't on the Mediterranean! The Italian/Greek English accents of Syrio Forel (Miltos' parents were Greek) or Jaqen H'ghar (Tom Wlaschiha is German but he speaks Italian) are hard to define or pin down as being from one of those groups you mention. I think most people can cope with what sounds like a mixture of Italian and Greek native English accents being described as Meditterranean for short.

For Dorne, I'd go Westcountry, or kiwi. Actually, kiwi would be a great call, as you also get the differing skin pigments, and body phenotypes as described.

Oh, and Subcontinental is surely already assigned to the dothraki?

I'm fairly sure they are going to cast British Asians (In British English this means Indians/Pakistanis) for the Dornish roles, so I would expect them to have English accents.

This is what I'd go for if I was in charge of casting. Elyes Gabel for example makes himself sound foreign as Rakharo, but when he speaks normally he's just British. I'd imagine the same with the Dornish. They're still Westerosi, with a lot of Andal influence in their culture, even though they also have Rhoynish blood.

When it comes to specific regional British accents though, I'll leave that talk to the British people :P

Italian accents are VERY different from each other, specifically if you compare northern and southern accents. What most people think is italian accent is very often stereotypical italo-american accent.

Aren't the accents to a large part confined by the actors abilities? And it sounds best normally if they don't have to completely do a different accent all the time? And there are a few Dornish roles, so you will have to find a few actors capable of doing a similar accent.* And a few viewers will probably thin Areo Hotah is Dornish too, so his Norvosi (Russian?) accent will confuse people.

I guess the Dornish accent really depends on which general "ethnicity" they chose for the Dornish. After all, it has to "feel right" with the visuals as well...

*Btw. Did they make sure the accents are right with the Stark kids, or did they value the acting skills higher?

I am passing this comment on to AFTRA. But seriously folks, get over your fawning over British accents. You were probably glued to your TV sets watching Piers Morgan gush over the Queen's jubilee. HBO just cast Hemmingway and Gellhorn (two American icons) as a Brit and an Aussie, respectively. That was clearly more authentic. Rome with British accents, Russians with Scottish accents (Sean Connery in Red October) is taking things too far. GoT is a fictional world, written by an American with an American production company. How about a little love for the one American in the cast and how about adding a few more.

I don't mind American actors, it's American accents I want kept well away from the show.

The accents are inconsistent anyway, I'd prefer them to not even bother trying to give people from the different regions the same accent rather than do it in the half-arsed way they are at present. It makes little to no sense. The only people that have been consistent are the wildlings and the Lannisters though the latter just have non-descript accents.

For me the the Dornish should be speaking with some sort of Mediterranean accent as that is what their culture has always reminded me of.

They've already given that accent to the braavosi, so I'm not sure if it'd still fit for the dornish. I do want to see something a bit more foreign than just another english dialect for them.

I am from the South in the USA and I would hate to see southern accents in the show. The only American accent that would work for this show is the haughty fake English accent that a lot of educated liberal Americans use because it makes them think that they sound educated when the truth is they sound like complete fools. Madonna is an example of this.

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone here has commented on westerosi accents and those of the free cities but what about Ghiscari and High Valryian????

I personally would love to see another language created in the same mode as Dothraki, which I am glad to see still being used.

The slavers of Astapor and New Ghis need to jar crazy growlish speech which an accent might suffice for but a entirely new language would be more true to the book IMHO

I think the Dornish accent should be like Syrio's, The Dornish accent is probably based on generic Westerosi (British English) with Rhonyar influences (So like accents from the free cities), and if they cast them as Mediterranean Europeans /South-West Asians / South-Asians then a West country accent would sound ridiculous. Realistically I think they'll all end up speaking in southern English accents, basically like Talisa Maegyr.

I think the West Country accent should really be used for the lower-class people of the Reach, primarily because lots of people in the UK think of it as being a farmer/agricultural accent. Also i think the Tully's should speak with a southern English accent (like Lysa, Sansa), perhaps with hints of Irish to match Michelle Fairley's accent / the Red-Hair.

For regional accents, I would imagine that generally peasants would sound like this -

Dorne - Mediterranean-sounding ???

The Reach - West Country accents

The Riverlands (and maybe the Neck) - Southern English/Irish

The Vale - Welsh

The North / Iron Islands - Northern English Accents

Beyond-the-Wall - Scottish Accents

Crownlands / Stormlands / Westerlands - South-East English accents, maybe hints of East Anglian/Lincolnshire accents in the Westerlands.

I though they would make King's Landing people talk like Londoners, but Gendry talks with a southern accent and Davos seems to have affected a Northeastern accent. To be honest the accents are fairly incosistent on Game of Thrones. Pyat Pree's scottish accent sounded ridiculous though.

When I read the books I imagined the Ghiscari resembled Slavonic, East-European people, perhaps slightly Russian, probably more Bulgarian/Romanian/Ukranian, with Slaver's Bay similar to the Black Sea. However if their new filming location is Morocco, then I imagine this will be Astapor and it probably won't even remotely resemble the Black Sea.

I like the idea of the Dornish not sounding English, and especially not West Country. I don't think that fits them at all. I'm all for seeing more Yorkshire-sounding Wildlings though. :D

It would be good to hear some more Scottish accents though. Not sure I've heard any Welsh or Irish. That'd be nice.

Aren't the accents to a large part confined by the actors abilities? And it sounds best normally if they don't have to completely do a different accent all the time? And there are a few Dornish roles, so you will have to find a few actors capable of doing a similar accent.* And a few viewers will probably thin Areo Hotah is Dornish too, so his Norvosi (Russian?) accent will confuse people.

I guess the Dornish accent really depends on which general "ethnicity" they chose for the Dornish. After all, it has to "feel right" with the visuals as well...

*Btw. Did they make sure the accents are right with the Stark kids, or did they value the acting skills higher?

Won't the Areo Hotah problem be solved by casting a white actor?

None of the younger Stark kids have northern accents, they just went for the best actors.

Archived