[TV / Book Spoilers] What made you stop watching the show?

Thunderfist

@ Dragon Greyscale

You don't have to worry about offending me, I very rarely get offended, especially not by posts as constructive and friendly as yours.

Regarding my decision to post this in the GoT-section. I feel that it's valid to do so and I don't really see it as provoking. And if you made a post in the book section asking why people have stopped reading the books, I would consider that to be an interesting read.

People are very different, some get easily provoked, others (myself included) don't. I personally don't understand how anyone can be provoked by people who don't like a tv-show as much as they do. I really like ASoIaF but truth be told, if someone burned the books in front of me and pissed on the ashes, that wouldn't provoke me at all. I might tell the person responsible that books are better used for reading than for burning but that's about it.

And I really don't see that the bolded part of my post is intended to censor anyone. It serves as a friendly warning to those who seem to get extremely worked up about people who have differing opinions about the tv-show. Having a horde of show fans derailing the thread with defense of the show mixed with calling people who dislike the show 'nazis' and other hyperbolic terms doesn't really add anything valuable to this particular thread. And I can imagine that the mods wouldn't be too happy about that sort of development.

The bottom line is that this thread isn't about what is good and what is bad about the show. There are already hundreds of threads devoted to that. I created this thread simply because I was curious about wether there were others who had stopped watching the show and what their reasons for that decision was.

I hope that I have answered your concerns, if not, please le me know and I'll try again

I think I've made it um, pretty clear how unhappy I've been this season, to say the least. But I'll keep watching it. I'm too curious and really like some of the actors, so I can't tear myself away. But I'm sure I'll continue to whine and complain about it unless they somehow manage to get their act together.

Okay, I've read the warning but I feel a bit obliged to respond to this thread with a little indignation. I just have one question: isn't it a bit strange to post this in the GoT section? If I started a thread in the asoiaf section with the question "what made you stop reading the books?" I'm pretty sure I would provoke a lot of people. And if, on top of that, I would say that people who disagree with my sentiment should not be in the thread... I dunno it doesn't seem like a fruitful strategy to have a good discussion. You provoke people (and you are conscious of it) but you don't want them to respond. It's not very constructive.

You are begging the question, you assume the intent of the OP. Can't we, I don't know, just take what people write at face value? His diction does not suggest provocation nor censorship as you suggest but a mere disclaimer, which are two different things.

If a convincing majority of posters agree with your premise (that the show is so terrible it doesn't deserve to be watched anymore), the GoT section should be removed from the westeros site altogether. I'm not being funny. This section is for people who watch the show, not people who don't watch it.

"IF", you assume again in your premise but go on the conclude "your" intent which doesn't entirely make any sense. Begging the question. Obviously, we criticize the show because we've seen it ... Are we not allowed to voice any criticisms? Who's trying to censor who now?

I don't want to offend you. You are obviously entitled to your opinion. It's the warning of semi-censorship that I am having trouble with.

But you just lambasted him with assumptions of provocation and now "semi-censorship". It's like you prefaced an insult with a smile.

I'd like to discuss specific changes/deviations even though they won't stop me from watching the show.

There are numerous threads about that already.

I'll just suggest to you what I do, if I don't find a thread particularly interesting, I don't partake -- it's that simple.

@ Dragon Greyscale

Regarding my decision to post this in the GoT-section. I feel that it's valid to do so and I don't really see it as provoking. And if you made a post in the book section asking why people have stopped reading the books, I would consider that to be an interesting read.

People are very different, some get easily provoked, others (myself included) don't. I personally don't understand how anyone can be provoked by people who don't like a tv-show as much as they do. I really like ASoIaF but truth be told, if someone burned the books in front of me and pissed on the ashes, that wouldn't provoke me at all. I might tell the person responsible that books are better used for reading than for burning but that's about it.

And I really don't see that the bolded part of my post is intended to censor anyone. It serves as a friendly warning to those who seem to get extremely worked up about people who have differing opinions about the tv-show. Having a horde of show fans derailing the thread with defense of the show mixed with calling people who dislike the show 'nazis' and other hyperbolic terms doesn't really add anything valuable to this particular thread. And I can imagine that the mods wouldn't be too happy about that sort of development.

Thanks for your constructive reply. I agree that people who use hyperbole and personal insults should not be on the boards. And I guess the provocation is not what I'm having issues with really; that's what a well-argued post should do. You said would want to read a hypothetical thread in which I ask people why they've stopped reading the books. That's cool. But I also wrote that, in that hypothetical case, I'd advise you to not read it and that's my point really.

As I've written in my earlier post, I feel your disclaimer shuns people who might disagree with you. Obviously you didn't intend it like that but you intended it like a friendly warning. Still, the presence of the disclaimer feels a bit needlessly defensive to me. Let the mod's remove responses that cross the line of civility.

You are begging the question, you assume the intent of the OP. Can't we, I don't know, just take what people write at face value? His diction does not suggest provocation nor censorship as you suggest but a mere disclaimer, which are two different things.

The disclaimer is there for a reason. A disclaimer always assumes/presumes it is necessary to add the disclaimer in the first place.

"IF", you assume again in your premise but go on the conclude "your" intent which doesn't entirely make any sense. Begging the question. Obviously, we criticize the show because we've seen it ... Are we not allowed to voice any criticisms? Who's trying to censor who now?

I use a hypothetical to make a point. I don't assume that the majority of posters thinks this way at all. If the majority of posters stop watching the show (IF IF), there wouldn't have to be a section dedicated to the show. The point is that, to me, it seems contradictory to post this thread in this section.

But you're right about me seeming to be censoring. That is not what I wanted to come across like. I meant to say that this section should be for people who watch the show, not for people who don't. And to be honest, the title of this thread does not seem to cater to people who watch the show ("what made you stop watching the show?"). I don't want to censor anybody, I simply think the topic should

A- be in a section where the disclaimer isn't necessary, or

B- should not have the disclaimer in the first place.

But you just lambasted him with assumptions of provocation and now "semi-censorship". It's like you prefaced an insult with a smile.

Provocation is not bad or insulting in my book. It's one of the things that keeps a discussion going. I stand by the fact that a disclaimer is a form of semi-censorship. It's not meant as an insult towards Thunderfist and I'm trying to be constructive about it.

I'll just suggest to you what I do, if I don't find a thread particularly interesting, I don't partake -- it's that simple.

Except that I do find this topic interesting...my post is more about form than it is about content.

I think the most interesting thing to come from the replies so far is that even though most people that posted are a little disenchanted after season two, very few have, or will, stop watching. I do find it quite odd that people would give over 10 hours of their life to something that they don't like unless it's their job.

Thanks for your constructive reply. I agree that people who use hyperbole and personal insults should not be on the boards. And I guess the provocation is not what I'm having issues with really; that's what a well-argued post should do. You said would want to read a hypothetical thread in which I ask people why they've stopped reading the books. That's cool. But I also wrote that, in that hypothetical case, I'd advise you to not read it and that's my point really.

As I've written in my earlier post, I feel your disclaimer shuns people who might disagree with you. Obviously you didn't intend it like that but you intended it like a friendly warning. Still, the presence of the disclaimer feels a bit needlessly defensive to me. Let the mod's remove responses that cross the line of civility.

Except that if you used the same exact wording that I did in your hypothetical post about the books, you wouldn´t be advicing me to not read it, you would give people who get extremely upset and offended by any critical opinions about the book the option to save themselves some outrage by not reading your thread. It´s like the "Parental advisory - Explicit content" sticker on cd´s, it´s not telling anyone that they should or shouldn´t buy the cd, it´s simply stating that it contains explicit content and the people who really doesn´t like that have the option of not buying the cd, saving themselves some trouble.

I think the most interesting thing to come from the replies so far is that even though most people that posted are a little disenchanted after season two, very few have, or will, stop watching. I do find it quite odd that people would give over 10 hours of their life to something that they don't like unless it's their job.

Because this is the only adaptation of ASOIAF we have. And for me at least, it's still good TV even if it's an awful adaptation. It remains to be seen if this will still be the case in a couple seasons time.

In bold, well that clear things up for me.

Except that I do find this topic interesting...my post is more about form than it is about content.

That's well and fine but that's not what you stated that one should ought to do on this forum, see below in bold.

Okay, I've read the warning but I feel a bit obliged to respond to this thread with a little indignation. I just have one question: isn't it a bit strange to post this in the GoT section? If I started a thread in the asoiaf section with the question "what made you stop reading the books?" I'm pretty sure I would provoke a lot of people. And if, on top of that, I would say that people who disagree with my sentiment should not be in the thread... I dunno it doesn't seem like a fruitful strategy to have a good discussion. You provoke people (and you are conscious of it) but you don't want them to respond. It's not very constructive.

If a convincing majority of posters agree with your premise (that the show is so terrible it doesn't deserve to be watched anymore), the GoT section should be removed from the westeros site altogether. I'm not being funny. This section is for people who watch the show, not people who don't watch it.

I don't want to offend you. You are obviously entitled to your opinion. It's the warning of semi-censorship that I am having trouble with. I'd like to discuss specific changes/deviations even though they won't stop me from watching the show.

I'm getting the idea that you aren't being completely honest and "fair" as you've said in more or less words, that is people are entitled to their opinions -- obviously not. Thunderfist has pointed out repeatedly his intent, you keep denying that and keep at the same assumption, unwilling to accept it -- that is being trollish. Just thought I let you know, but keep at it if you want.

It's not at all surprising that every "agreement" response to the OP is basically, "Well I won't stop watching the show, but this is why I hate it."

If you don't like it... stop watching. By watching it you are supporting it.

It's not at all surprising that every "agreement" response to the OP is basically, "Well I won't stop watching the show, but this is why I hate it."

If you don't like it... stop watching. By watching it you are supporting it.

In a world where everyone who watched the show was recorded accurately this might be true. Personally i watch a recorded version of it without ads and have no intention of buying the boxset (despite owning a ton of ASOIAF paraphernalia) how am i supporting it?

Anyway, if you don't like something you have a greater rage of options than doing or not doing it. Take, for example, you entering this thread.

In my case, I watched until episode 6 of this second season, because that's when I started reading the books.

I finished ACoK yestarday, and I'm not feeling like watching the rest of the episodes right now. I have seen too many spoilers (of the chapters to come) that are totally different from what happens in the book... I hope these major differences correspond to ASoS, so I guess I will watch the remaining chapters once I start ASoS, when I decide whether the added scenes will ruin my experience of the show, of are to be taken as an entirely separate subject.

I also agree with the ones that think the made-up nudity scenes are totally unnecesary...

Thanks you for reading :)

In bold, well that clear things up for me.

yes it's how I feel. So? This whole board is opinion. In fact I have a tip for you: if someone posts something, assume it's their opinion.

Thunderfist has pointed out repeatedly his intent, you keep denying that and keep at the same assumption, unwilling to accept it -- that is being trollish. Just thought I let you know, but keep at it if you want.

Wait, what? I'm pretty sure I validated Thunderfist's intent (see bold below; it's just after the section you chose to highlight). I'm just giving my own opinion about the disclaimer. What am I not willing to accept? And calling out troll is like pointing your finger and running away. It doesn't win arguments. Just thought I let you know, but keep at it if you want.

As I've written in my earlier post, I feel your disclaimer shuns people who might disagree with you. Obviously you didn't intend it like that but you intended it like a friendly warning. Still, the presence of the disclaimer feels a bit needlessly defensive to me.

yes it's how I feel. So? This whole board is opinion. In fact I have a tip for you: if someone posts something, assume it's their opinion.

Wait, what? I'm pretty sure I validated Thunderfist's intent (see bold below; it's just after the section you chose to highlight). I'm just giving my own opinion about the disclaimer. What am I not willing to accept? (I) And calling out troll is like pointing your finger and running away. (II) It doesn't win arguments. (III) Just thought I let you know, but keep at it if you want.

I. No, it's not.

II. Is this about winning now? Is that your intent?

III. That's mature and constructive?

So, his "disclaimer" now has moved from "semi-censorship" and that you feel it's being needlessly defensive with the initial intent to steer this thread to your liking. Okay, I see your game.

Both me and my wife both thought Season 2 was outright BETTER than Season 1.

Yes, there were a TON of changes, and some still seem a bit bizarre to me (the changes to Robb's story in particular, as well as the way Jon's story has played out), but most are quite frankly the changes that had to be made for the show to be anything other than fan-service for those who have already read the books. Yes, we'd have loved to see the House of the Undying as it was written, but that would have been spoilers for those who haven't read the books. Dany, after all, doesn't recognize the participants at the Red Wedding when she sees it in a vision, TV viewers definitely would. Also, the vast majority of added scenes (here meaning scenes that were less about changing things and more about showing what was going on with non-POV characters) were quite excellent. I LOVED the Tywin/Arya scenes, for instance.

I hadn't checked the westeros forum in a while, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see a lot of fanboys being grumpy about the changes or claiming that they're done with the show. Well, whatever. Do what you want.... Just remember, if they catered only to the fanboys we'd have had a really great first season (for us), then nothing. (or, frankly, the show wouldn't have gone past the pilot) There are MILLIONS of viewers who have not read the books, but still would like a plot that makes sense and to not have 40 characters thrown at them in one episode. The changes are, indeed, painful for us, but probably necessary. The way they've been introducing new characters much more bit-by-bit makes a lot of sense for a TV show, much as many of the outright plot changes make a LOT of sense in the context of a TV show. Example: Dany's story.... In the book she gets to Qarth and spends several chapters essentially being bored, collecting baubles given to her by people who want to see the dragons. This would be DEATH to a TV show, as on TV you don't get the internal thoughts, just the action and speech. Later, when Qarth gets interesting, it's because of a bunch of prophecies. These would all either be outright spoilers or else involve characters we've never seen in the show. You've GOTTA spice up Qarth a bit, and you've GOTTA find a way to get across the HotU vibe without giving outright spoilers. I think what they did worked marvelously, even if it did (obviously) change a lot about a few minor characters like Xaro Xhoan Daxos. Xaro isn't exactly anybody's favorite character of all time, so whatever. I'm willing to get over it if it makes Dany's season 2 story bearable to watch (and, therefore, keeps the show from being cancelled).

And really. Episode 9 was awesome. This is known.

Majority of the people that i know that havent read the book love the show to death. This is what D&D are going for as much as they are trying to stay as close to the adaption as possible, so i cant say im dissapointed as much as alot of you seem to be and will watch it till the end of its run.

The books are my favorite books ive ever read and i knew right from the start of the tv series on how impossible it would be to get it to come close to how passionate i feel for the books.

Its unfortunate that it has made you not even weant to watch the series anymore, thats pretty harsh IMO.

I. No, it's not.

II. Is this about winning now? Is that your intent?

III. That's mature and constructive?

So, his "disclaimer" now has moved from "semi-censorship" and that you feel it's being needlessly defensive with the initial intent to steer this thread to your liking. Okay, I see your game.

You are right. I am hell bent on steering all westeros.org to my liking. I will not rest untill that is achieved. This is my game and it's all about me winning. You know my intent whereas I clearly only put words in other people's mouths.

Let's put it to bed shall we? This is exhausting.

Anyway, if you don't like something you have a greater rage of options than doing or not doing it. Take, for example, you entering this thread.

This is true, but the OP seemed to be looking for people who took the final step with him/her, almost as if this thread were to separate itself from the general whining. Instead all his responses aside from one have been people who apparently can't wait to be tortured next season.

Archived