Why did Benjen take the black?

I don't recall any direct references about why Benjen took the black.

I've assumed it to be simply 3rd brother/conflicting heir syndrome

(Even though Ned took over Winterfell w/ all the other deaths in the family, I'm surprised this would be deemed necessary, Kevan L. and other non-heir siblings didn't really have to do that )

Then I started wondering if the allusions to the wild Stark in aDwD, some of the negative seeming info I attributed immediately to Ned's older brother could possibly have been referring to the younger brother, who then took the black to absolve his sins. Or at least that Benjen's story may have its own painful origins.

Maybe its a far out idea, but I'd love to know any confirmed details anyone has regarding Benjen's reasons for taking the black or if it is written in the books anywhere.

The most accepted theory is tied up with Lyanna being the Knight of the Laughing Tree.

Benjen supposedly helped her to find and dress the armour and also was present when Rhaegar found her out.

After his father, brother and sister died the guilt at being present and helped when everything started alongside with the knowledge that L+R=J was too much.

Result, he joined the NW to atone whatever he sees as his sins.

It is mentioned. The Night's Watch is a Stark tradition (there is always a Stark on the Wall). Benjen, being the youngest, had nothing to inherit, because even if Brandon died (which he did), Ned would inherit everything (which he did). So there was no need for Benjen. Off to the Wall.

That's how inheritance worked in the Middle Ages. The eldest son got everything, and everyone else was shit out of luck. That's why so many became monks, and what not. Otherwise they'd be left with nothing and have to build themselves up from scratch (or rely on their brother, which, unless he had enough wealth to afford it, was impossible, and definitely less honorable than becoming a monk).

As far as Tywin and Kevan, the Lannisters have no tradition with the Night's Watch (they actually look down upon it), and Kevan basically lives with Tywin (or rather, "helps administer his estates"), out of Twyin's generosity. That's why he was so hep on Lancel getting married and inheriting land of his own.

I've wondered about this as well. One possibility: he was on the wrong side during Robert's Rebellion.

Benjen was less than 18 during Robert's rebellion (his age it's not stated in the books, but Ned was 18 when the war started so Ben must be younger). Plus he is supposed to have been the regent of Winterfell during the war: "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell".

He could have been on the wrong side but... why and how? We know very little of him but that he is very near to Ned. Moreover, in AGoT we have no hints that he feels bad to King Robert.

I believe that he had a part in Lyanna's escape and that he took the black in order to have his sins (mostly moral sins) forgiven.

He was also Ned's heir until Robb was born and we know that he went to the Wall after the war, when Robb was already born and the fightings were over.

So... no need for a spare heir, no lands to inherit, no political marriages to be arranged (remember that the Starks were already joined with Tully and - at a certain degree - Arryn families, lords of the two regions which lay nearer to the North), no wars to fight (the Targaryens were already defeated and the Greyjoys were still loyal to Robert) and - remember - a Stark tradition in joining the Night's Watch.

Cheers!

It would be hard for him to live in Winterfell when he knew truth about Jon. And I think he knew even if Ned hadn't told him directly.

Or maybe he was just ambitious like Jon, he made it pretty far in Watch being first ranger.

Or he knew something about prophecy that haunted Rhaegar and suspected that the real winter is really coming soon.

Side note at the end of the rebellion Benjen was 15 or younger.

Side note at the end of the rebellion Benjen was 15 or younger.

I also believed/remembered that he was 15 when the war ended but I wasn't able to find any evidence. Where did you find it out?

I like the idea of Ben knowing the truth about Jon... Might be. I also think that there isn't a single reason for him to take the black but a sum of reasons: no future as a Stark, ambition, traditions, knowing the truth about Jon and having helped Lyanna in escaping with Rheagar (or having helped her in gaining the prince's attention as Knight of the Laughing Three).

Wasn't the story to Bran about the crannogman, the she-wolf, the wild-wolf, the silent-wolf, and the wolf-pup about the tourney at Harrenhal correct? How Howland and the Starks first met?

I thought, in that story, the wolf-pup (benjen, youngest brother) seeks approval of his brothers and the people at the tourney and announces he will join purely out of duty to westeros?

EDIT: So he'd a been very young...? How old would he have been at Harrenhall, 15? Maybe younger?

EDIT Again: If anyone has the right book.. This story is told to Bran by Jorjen and Meera when they're traveling north to the wall. I don't have the book on me. Wish I could read through it again. Didn't catch the significance of the story until a reread..

I also believed/remembered that he was 15 when the war ended but I wasn't able to find any evidence. Where did you find it out?

I like the idea of Ben knowing the truth about Jon... Might be. I also think that there isn't a single reason for him to take the black but a sum of reasons: no future as a Stark, ambition, traditions, knowing the truth about Jon and having helped Lyanna in escaping with Rheagar (or having helped her in gaining the prince's attention as Knight of the Laughing Three).

Wasn't the story to Bran about the crannogman, the she-wolf, the wild-wolf, the silent-wolf, and the wolf-pup about the tourney at Harrenhal correct? How Howland and the Starks first met?

I thought, in that story, the wolf-pup (benjen, youngest brother) seeks approval of his brothers and the people at the tourney and announces he will join purely out of duty to westeros?

EDIT: So he'd a been very young...? How old would he have been at Harrenhall, 15? Maybe younger?

Lyanna was 14 at Harrenhall 16 when she died, Benjen was younger. To quote Meera:

There he met her pack brothers: the wild wolf who led them, the quiet wolf beside him, and the pup who was youngest of the four.

@Ice Turtle

Do you recall if something mentioned about the pup wanting to impress the others and so promising to join the watch? I swear I can recall text to that effect. Wish I could check but I'm out of town atm

Just to throw in a couple tidbits I read in other posts, not sure of there accuracy.

-Someone stated Benjen took the black 2 years after the rebellion

-same topic I found that info, suggested 4-6 years younger than Ned, but if Lyanna was 14 than that might be a little shy of the right age

Brosbeforeitsnows, I agree the Starks definitely look at NW as an honorable post, but after a Father, brother & sister have recently died it seems strange, possibly even dumb, they would thin out the bloodline - considering Benjen would not be one to try to make a claim for the seat of Winterfell.

I agree also that Lannisters or Martell 2nd (3rd, 4th) sons would look down on the watch, but they reinforce that at least culturally Westeros isn't automatically removing other heirs because they could have a claim. The traditions have definitely decayed over time to. I think its important only because it suggests that there would be no public duty or pressure for Benjen to wear the Black, more a personal one.

I definitely don't think he was on the wrong side of the rebellion, but feeling responsible for Lyanna makes a lot of sense.

Ike, I remember the young pup part (you meant others not Others right?),

I'll try to re-read that part soon, the Barriston section & knight of the Laughing Tree parts but actually try to think about Benjen in context, when I read those sections I was very focused on Lyanna, Brandon & Howland and thinking Benjen was coldhands.

Any other parts people think intersect that should be read?

Benjen was not involved in suppressing the Greyjoy rebellion, correct?

If it is 2 years after Roberts Rebellion, Jon & Robb would be born, but not Sansa yet?

Yes, when I said others I meant the Lords at Harrenhall. Benjen joined NW in the same manner that Jon Snow did, for honor and duty (they would have been close to the same age yes?), not realizing it's become a place for Westerosi criminals and undesired peoples.

@Ice Turtle

Do you recall if something mentioned about the pup wanting to impress the others and so promising to join the watch? I swear I can recall text to that effect. Wish I could check but I'm out of town atm

No, there is black brother mentioned at Harrenhall

A black brother spoke, asking the knights to join the Night’s Watch.

But this is all.

I guess he took the black when Robb and Sansa were born. No need for more heirs, and 'there must always be a Stark at the Wall'.

I wonder who the Stark before him was.

We are told there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. There is no mention outside of this thread of a need to always have a Stark at the Wall.

The mention of "third son syndrome" made a thought occur to me: maybe he was gay* and was keen to join a take-no-wives organization because the idea of having sex with a woman squicked him out. Although, iirc, he has a conversation with Jon at the start of the story where he makes it sound like "knowing" a woman is a good thing, but that could be his expectation that Jon will feel the same about women as other straight men do. Or was it someone else who had that conversation with him?

*(In real life, each successive male child born to the same biological mother is statistically more likely to be gay. It's due to biological reasons, not the environment in which they're raised. Of course, an increase in statistical likelihood is not a guarantee, so Benjen may not be gay. Also, Martin may not know about this phenomenon, although I figured he did since Loras and Renly were both third sons.)

Archived