Khal Drogo v The Mountain that Rides

Gandalf the Grey

Horselord,” Ser Jorah Mormont called. “Try me.” His longsword slid from its scabbard.

Qotho whirled, cursing. The arakh moved so fast that Quaro’s blood flew from it in a fine spray, like rain in a hot wind. The longsword caught it a foot from Ser Jorah’s face, and held it quivering for an instant as Qotho howled in fury. The knight was clad in chainmail, with gauntlets and greaves of lobstered steel and a heavy gorget around his throat, but he had not thought to don his helm.

Qotho danced backward, arakh whirling around his head in a shining blur, flickering out like lightning as the knight came on in a rush. Ser Jorah parried as best he could, but the slashes came so fast that it seemed to Dany that Qotho had four arakhs and as many arms. She heard the crunch of sword on mail, saw sparks fly as the long curved blade glanced off a gauntlet. Suddenly it was Mormont stumbling backward, and Qotho leaping to the attack. The left side of the knight’s face ran red with blood, and a cut to the hip opened a gash in his mail and left him limping. Qotho screamed taunts at him, calling him a craven, a milk man, a eunuch in an iron suit. “You die now!” he promised, arakh shivering through the red twilight. Inside Dany’s womb, her son kicked wildly. The curved blade slipped past the straight one and bit deep into the knight’s hip where the mail gaped open.

Mormont grunted, stumbled. Dany felt a sharp pain in her belly, a wetness on her thighs. Qotho shrieked triumph, but his arakh had found bone, and for half a heartbeat it caught.

It was enough. Ser Jorah brought his longsword down with all the strength left him, through flesh and muscle and bone, and Qotho’s forearm dangled loose, flopping on a thin cord of skin and sinew. The knight’s next cut was at the Dothraki’s ear, so savage that Qotho’s face seemed almost to explode.

Seems to me it could go either way. I'd put money on Drogo but I wouldn't consider it a sure bet.

The Mountain has to get this. Khal Drogo is at a great disadvantage. We have seen that Dothraki weapons like the arakh are not meant to fight against plat armor. Drogo is probably a much better fighter, Gregor's main advantage seems to be his freakish size and strength. He relies on that to be so dangerous. Also the people of Essos seem to be a bit unfamiliar with how to fight against someone in plate armor. The Dothraki Jorah kills put up a good fight, but didn't really know how to attack Jorah. The same with the guy Barristan the Bold killed (that guy had no chance). So Drogo could probably last a lot longer than most people, but in the end Gregor would win.

We can never tell any way people are basing it only on armour and weapons that not all a fight consists of remember drogo is a barbarian and i can't see the mountain fighting fairly either what if drogo toppled the mountain and started smashing his face inwith a rock or something lol if it was a straight up sword fight then yes I agree the mountain would most likely win but if it's a fit with no rules there's a good chance drogo would rip him apart!

Sorry, too early in the morning. Thought I was on the board where people are lauded for using treachery or killing elderly unarmed madmen. My mistake.

Edit,

Too damn early in the morning when the topic in hand includes the cheapest and dirtiest down low guy of all who likes to coat everything in poison. Ha.

He doesn't speak the common tongue, that doesn't mean anything. I doubt he got to where he was, without suffering a single defeat, by being a moron flailing around with a blade. He was likely a lot smarter than we got to see due to the language barrier.

Hey, I don't like that. Oberyn used poison because he KNEW that the Mountain had killed his sister. He wanted this man to die the most painful death possible because he clearly loved his sister very much. You think fighting with a poisoned spear is dirty against a man who bashed in the brains of Oberyn's nephew, then raphed and killed his sister? Give me a goddamned break.

His poisoned spear would probably kill Drogo who would never suspect that someone puts up a fight, not so clean. I don't think poisoned weapons are Dothraki fashion, they always go for actual skill. They don't use protection (armor, plate, even much clothing). What determines the outcome of Dothraki fights are speed, physical strength and technique. Drogo is, I think clearly described as a bigger man than Oberyn, I think they are about the same quick and the rest depends on the choice of weapons and chance. Oberyn might kill Drogo with his spear before Drogo unsheathes his arakh, but Drogo might just rip Oberyn into pieces before he lifts his spear. Anger and fury can be good motives, adrenalin and testosterone, but excessive amount of personal feelings are the death of any art of combat. That's why Oberyn lost against the Mountain. Chanting "You raped her, you murdered her, you killed her children" taunted not only the Mountain but Oberyn himself too. He was far beyond clear head by the time he got to Clegane. That would not happen with Drogo. They would both fight with a cool head.

The thing is, I don't think that Oberyn always fights with a poisoned spear. It's obvious from the series that he is a serious, redoubtable warrior in his own right. He used poison on his spear for the Mountain because he wanted his sister's killer (as well as his nephew's killer) to die the most painful death possible. He doesn't need poison to kill a skilled warrior. He's badass no matter what the circumstances!

Mountain. Knights with swords beat Arahks every time (okay most of the time). See e.g. Selmy v. Kraz.

And remember, Selmy gave Kraz a lot of credit for his speed and strength... you just can't beat an armored knight with Essosi weaponry, or at least its EXTREMELY difficult.

drogo easily, it makes no sense to say that an arakh wouldnt penetrate the plate, when qotho does just that with jorah mormont in aGoT, plus drogo strong, not as strong as the mountain, but he's also quick too, quicker than the viper i'd bet, the mountain cant beat him if he cant hit him

drogo easily, it makes no sense to say that an arakh wouldnt penetrate the plate, when qotho does just that with jorah mormont in aGoT, plus drogo strong, not as strong as the mountain, but he's also quick too, quicker than the viper i'd bet, the mountain cant beat him if he cant hit him

"The curved blade slipped past the straight one and bit deep into the knight’s hip where the mail gaped open."

No armor piercing going on here, just catching a gap where there's unprotected flesh. Likely due to Jorah hurrying to get in his armor and no one to help him. He leaves his helm off as well.

have been fighting in re-enactments wearing full plate for nearly 20 years, the truth is that a man in full armour and a man in no armour are pretty equally matched given similar levels of skill, physique and weaponry.armour slows you down, tires you much more quickly and limits your sight, hearing and breathing..it really really does. the advantage of armour is in the head, it makes you feel safer and more confident, it makes your opponent feel more vulnerable and less confident.A warrior who thinks he is going to win usually will, a warrior who thinks he is about to lose definatly will.I dont think either Drogo or Gregor would ever entertain for a moment the possibility that they were going to lose..therefore the odds are pretty much even..

Mountain will definitely win. Poor Drogo is arms and armor are just useless against late medieval weaponry, he might as well fight naked with his bare hands. He doesn't even have a good blunt weapon to bash the mountain.

Of course this is probably GRRM's own lack of knowledge of more advanced nomadic people that has made Dothraki into more a parody of steppe people than the real deal.

The thing is, I don't think that Oberyn always fights with a poisoned spear. It's obvious from the series that he is a serious, redoubtable warrior in his own right. He used poison on his spear for the Mountain because he wanted his sister's killer (as well as his nephew's killer) to die the most painful death possible. He doesn't need poison to kill a skilled warrior. He's badass no matter what the circumstances!

That's why only my first two sentences included the poisoned spear. After that I just dropped the poisoned spear idea and concentrated on their strengths and weaknesses.

Hey, I don't like that. Oberyn used poison because he KNEW that the Mountain had killed his sister. He wanted this man to die the most painful death possible because he clearly loved his sister very much. You think fighting with a poisoned spear is dirty against a man who bashed in the brains of Oberyn's nephew, then raphed and killed his sister? Give me a goddamned break.

He likely whipped up a special brew for Gregor but one of the first descriptions of him we get he's using a poisoned weapon on another man as well. He's not called the Red Viper because he slithers.

Mountain would have the intense physical mightyness and advantage of Westerosi armour, whereas I find Khal Drogo has more swiftness and likely more intelligence in comparison. And of course both are considered strong.

So it would sort of depend...

If Mountain is wearing his gear, then he would win and Drogo would lose.

But if he didn't have his gear, then Drogo would win.

While I wouldn't be 100% sure myself (The Mountain could very easily win) I'll vote for Khal Drogo. Again, he can be swift, he is strong, and possibly outsmart The Mountain. Drogo isn't an idiot, he is a leader afterall and dealt with other very powerful contestants, he would clue in/read other warriors no doubt like Gregor, and especially would appreciate the challenge.

If the mountain gets his armor, Drogo gets his dragonbone bow (did drogo have valyrian steel? I can't remember)

According to the books, it seems the knights have an advantage.

Historically speaking, all the knights of the crusades.. they're armor and long swords didn't stop them from getting whooped by lesser armed locals

I'd put an army of dothraki screamers over an army of heavy horse considering this.

If the mountain gets his armor, Drogo gets his dragonbone bow (did drogo have valyrian steel? I can't remember)

According to the books, it seems the knights have an advantage.

Historically speaking, all the knights of the crusades.. they're armor and long swords didn't stop them from getting whooped by lesser armed locals

I'd put an army of dothraki screamers over an army of heavy horse considering this.

That is true . . in a duel heavy armour is good . . . but when the Crusaders in their Westerosi style gear fought in the heat and against the swift movement of Western Asian warriors except for the first crusade, they got their butts slaughtered.

Armor piercing arrow heads and fast moving men on horses did them in .. look how short it took the Muslims to conquer Spain and how long it took Europeans to recapture it.

Archived