Arya/Justin Massey

Dont know if this has been posted before but for those who have read the sample chapter of winds of winter we know that justin is going to braavos to collect the money from the iron bank and to buy sellswords. Its perfectly possible that whilst there he'll come across arya.

If arya decides to leave the faceless men she may stow away on justins ship when he travels back to the wall.. I doubt she'd reveal her identity to him.

This would not only get her back to westeros but re-unite her with john. Two things i think are bound to happen.

my only problem with this is i dont think it'd be easy for arya to leave the faceless men now she knows a lot of their secrets/been introduced to face changing etc.

Thoughts?

Any thoughts on this guy? I find him oddly fascinating. He comes from an ancient house, which fought with Bloodraven against Bittersteel and Daemon Blackfyre. There is an interesting moment when he is asked whether by Alysane Mormont, "Have you lost your faith in red R'hllor?" after the four Peesbury men are burned, and his response is "I have lost faith in more than that." We know from the gift chapter that he is constantly advising Stannis to take a unaggressive approach - to retreat to Dragonstone after Blackwater, to go to Braavos personally with the banker instead of pursuing the siege of Winterfell personally, and a few other things Stannis mentions irritably. I thought it was interesting that he was apparently one of those who urged Stannis to march on the Dreadfort, which Jon obviously saw as a hugely bad idea. And when Stannis tells him he must continue to hire sellswords to put Shireen on the throne even if he hears that Stannis has died, his first response is to hesitate before he agrees to do it.

Is he trustworthy? Will he betray Stannis? Is his interest in Asha genuine? He seems to like her both for her status and herself. What's his deal? Will he do something significant in TWOW? Will Arya meet him in Braavos? Is anyone else curious about any of this?

I dont know if Arya will join Massey, unless she is hired perhaps. I could easily see it being like the mention of the refugees from Hardhome-just in passing. I would think Massey will meet with the Sealord possibly and Arya would be in a very interesting position to hear a few morsels then.

Jolene Brown id say you need to make yourself a topic. You make some interesting points

Justin Massey might simply be saying to himself, "I gotta bad feeling about this". Arya though, can changer her appearance and blend in, therefore, she will find a way home somehow. time is running out, I might suspect that many of the sellswords will come from Braavos itself.

Is he trustworthy?

Masseys among the men who abandoned lands, familys and home to go with Stannis to save the north, he stayed with Stannis at the Blackwater when many thousands deserted to the other side, pretty sure he's sticking it out to the bitter end.

Masseys among the men who abandoned lands, familys and home to go with Stannis to save the north, he stayed with Stannis at the Blackwater when many thousands deserted to the other side, pretty sure he's sticking it out to the bitter end.

Indeed. And I think he's taking a big risk for a potentially big reward by sticking with Stannis. I believe he put himself forward as becoming a lord to improve his capacity as an envoy. He's definitely expecting some power and prestige under Stannis' rule.

The more intriguing question is whether 'Arya Stark' goes to Braavos with Massey since there is nobody to leave her at the Wall with anymore (unless Melisandre, for reasons only known to her, decides to take custody of the girl).

I dont know if Arya will join Massey, unless she is hired perhaps. I could easily see it being like the mention of the refugees from Hardhome-just in passing. I would think Massey will meet with the Sealord possibly and Arya would be in a very interesting position to hear a few morsels then.

Jolene Brown id say you need to make yourself a topic. You make some interesting points

I did originally, I think it got combined with this one.

I just wonder whether the amount he's sacrificed to join Stannis could actually increase his bitterness. Stannis, to me, seems to have grown harsher since the defeat at Blackwater. The burnings of men have increased. His forces (especially the Southern ones) are suffering horribly on this march. I found the burning alive of the Peesbury men really unjust and cruel (Stannis's saving grace is supposed to be his sense of justice). If I were on his side, I might be wondering why I had given up everything to support what sometimes looks like King Aerys come again. I might feel angry and betrayed, like, I gave up so much for a bad, losing cause. Once you get into that mindset, you're easy prey for someone who offers you something better. I don't think he would just randomly betray Stannis for no reason, but if another team, perhaps Dany's, offers him land and a lordship (things he keeps asking Stannis to guarantee him, without much luck), I could see him switching sides.

I think in Asha he sees an opportunity to rise far above himself akin to Brienne and Ser Hyle. Although i could easily see him actually liking Asha as a woman as well because shes more.....enjoyable company then Brienne. Even though im a Brienne fan i cant imagine shes great craic at a party! I dont think we can say much about him yet but he seems genuine enough and not a sot. Hes one of the few nicer soldiers we get to see

The more intriguing question is whether 'Arya Stark' goes to Braavos with Massey since there is nobody to leave her at the Wall with anymore (unless Melisandre, for reasons only known to her, decides to take custody of the girl).

Selyse and Axell aren't dead. Yet.

Arya has become so irrelevant to the overall storyline that I don't think even if Daenerys made a pitstop at Braavos, Arya would join her. I think that Martin will just have her sitting in Braavos for the rest of the series.

It was foreshadowed in ACoK that Arya would become involved in the Dany/Greyjoy storyline. I believe that she will meet Dany in Pentos though.

"If I had wings...I'd just fly away, fly up past the moon and the shining stars, and see all the things in Old Nan's stories, dragons and seamonsters and the Titan of Braavos, and maybe I wouldn't ever fly back unless I wanted to."

I haven't spent a whole lot of time thinking about this but it seems to me that some pieces are falling into place

and you can start to see a clearer picture. Let's see- Arya is in Braavos w/ the FM, the Iron Bank is supporting

Stannis and has given him a loan to hire sellswords. Harys Swift is planning on going to Braavos to deal w/ the Iron Bank

(although now that Kevan is dead maybe he will just try to grab the regency?) Add in to this the mysterious Massey.

His past has not been cleared up at all and he is intriguing. I have a feeling that Massey, Arya and the whole FM arc

incl. Jaqen and the Citadel arc + maybe the Sealord and his support for the Targs are all twisted together.

On that note, does anyone know for sure that the dying sealord is the one that signed as a witness on the

secret alliance? If so, wouldn't he not support the move by the Iron Bank (supporting stannis) and the FM trying to find the book

to kill off the dragons? (If indeed that is what Jaqen is doing).

Also, I just realized, that there aren't any sellsword companies left! The Windblown + The Stormcrows + The Second Sons to Dany, The Golden Company is for faegon, Company of the cat and the Long Lances to Yunkai. Those are all the companies right?

Too pieces, not enough glue.

I doubt those are all the free companies, given how easily they're started, there might be a dozen more still left in the Disputed Lands. But I also doubt Massey will get the full 20,000 given most aren't as big as the Golden Company, he'll more likely only return with only half of that and likely be of inferior quality.

I do like that Massey, who easily is the most likeable of Stannis's knights and is recognized by Stannis for that quality and is the one who he sends out to Braavos instead of Axell Florent or others of higher rank or standing.

Yeah I could see Massey just cut out with the money and be relaxing with some Dornish wine in the Summer Isles...

He should go find Aurane Waters and the stolen ships! Then they should go check out Sotherys and become famous explorers.

Archived