This is a fantasy series, but some of this still doesn't make sense.

Angel_gon

Yes, we all know this is a fantasy series, which means anything pretty much goes. GRRM gets a lot of credit for placing real life stories in a fantastical setting, and rightfully so. Magic, dragons, and impressive structures are all pretty much given in any type of fantasy but there are some things in ASOIAF that made me scratch my head and think, "wtf, how did this happen, or this doesn't make any sense at all." I don't want to nitpick a fantasy series because if you can't come to grips with magic and dragons then you should have stopped reading this series a long time ago. Looking through the forums and having read the books, 2 things kinda struct me as odd and out of place.

Robert and Rhaegar in single combat:

-So I'm suppose to believe that the fate of the realm come down to 2 guys. One an outstanding fighter who was fighting for revenge and the other a melancholy guy who was a rapist/kidnapper. I find it incredibly hard to believe that the sea of men fighting at the trident would seemingly split and allow Robert and Rhaegar to meet. On paper, this is no contest. Robert easily wins, so why wouldn't some archer or swordsman try to take a swing at Robert or Rhaegar to end the fight right then and there and go home.

Seemingly dead characters coming back to life or reappearing:

-I find this to be the most infuriating aspect of the series because this leaves the door wide open to bring back characters. Leave them dead or don't kill them to begin with. Beric coming back like 5 times just seemed comical after like the third time. Cat coming back was pretty nice but she can't really speak. We were told so many times what happens to the royal family when Tywin sacked kings landing, and how baby Aegon had his head crushed. He then shows up as a teenager ready to win back Westeros. No, makes no sense. This could be for not because many believe he's a fake.

Aside from the more fantastical elements like dragons, magic, and giant ice walls, what do you still find to be very hard to wrap your head around?

The ages of the Stark children, particularly the younger ones. When reading the series, I had to mentally age each of them up 2-3 for it to make sense.

I don't care if 16 makes you "a man grown," a seven year-old does not sit in for a lord.

Similar to your complaint about Beric Dondarrion and UnCat, I am still a little unclear about what is and what isn't considered a plausible use of magic in the ASOIF world.

What are the exact rules for warging, greenseeing, etc.

With regards to Robert and Rhaegar battling, I don't think it happened quite like that. I recall Rhaegar starting off the battle with his Kingsguard around him. But during the battle Lyn Corbray kills Lewin Martell and Ser Jonothor Darry is also killed. Barristan Selmy was also seperated from Rhaegar, leaving him without personal protection.

My only knock is also the back-from-the-dead angle. When it had been Beric Dondarrion, it didn't bother me too much. But now with Gregor and Cat it's taking away from the world he's created. And if Jon is also resurrected I think it will cheapen his story arc for me.

The fate of the realm didn't come down to Robert and Rhaegar, they just met during battle. Robert, being stronger, bigger, and having a big hammer, killed him. I don't know that there's any indication that this definitely turned the battle one way or the other.

And all the un-deaths come down to the same type of magic. If you don't find it plausible, that's up to you but I don't see that it's any more far fetched than ice zombies, dragons, warging, warging trees etc.

In regards to Robert and Rhaegar it would not be unlikely for Robert to want to have Rhaegar to himself and called out for single combat, which all the surrounding men would have had to respect lest they be punished by the victor as it took away the honour of the fight. I imagine Robert saw the Dragon helm of Rhaegar and forced his way through the sea of troops to face him himself

With regards to Robert and Rhaegar battling, I don't think it happened quite like that. I recall Rhaegar starting off the battle with his Kingsguard around him. But during the battle Lyn Corbray kills Lewin Martell and Ser Jonothor Darry is also killed. Barristan Selmy was also seperated from Rhaegar, leaving him without personal protection.

My only knock is also the back-from-the-dead angle. When it had been Beric Dondarrion, it didn't bother me too much. But now with Gregor and Cat it's taking away from the world he's created. And if Jon is also resurrected I think it will cheapen his story arc for me.

Yeah, the Robert Strong thing is really silly to me. UnCat I dont mind too much

Yes, we all know this is a fantasy series, which means anything pretty much goes. GRRM gets a lot of credit for placing real life stories in a fantastical setting, and rightfully so. Magic, dragons, and impressive structures are all pretty much given in any type of fantasy but there are some things in ASOIAF that made me scratch my head and think, "wtf, how did this happen, or this doesn't make any sense at all." I don't want to nitpick a fantasy series because if you can't come to grips with magic and dragons then you should have stopped reading this series a long time ago. Looking through the forums and having read the books, 2 things kinda struct me as odd and out of place.

Robert and Rhaegar in single combat:

-So I'm suppose to believe that the fate of the realm come down to 2 guys. One an outstanding fighter who was fighting for revenge and the other a melancholy guy who was a rapist/kidnapper. I find it incredibly hard to believe that the sea of men fighting at the trident would seemingly split and allow Robert and Rhaegar to meet. On paper, this is no contest. Robert easily wins, so why wouldn't some archer or swordsman try to take a swing at Robert or Rhaegar to end the fight right then and there and go home.

Seemingly dead characters coming back to life or reappearing:

-I find this to be the most infuriating aspect of the series because this leaves the door wide open to bring back characters. Leave them dead or don't kill them to begin with. Beric coming back like 5 times just seemed comical after like the third time. Cat coming back was pretty nice but she can't really speak. We were told so many times what happens to the royal family when Tywin sacked kings landing, and how baby Aegon had his head crushed. He then shows up as a teenager ready to win back Westeros. No, makes no sense. This could be for not because many believe he's a fake.

Aside from the more fantastical elements like dragons, magic, and giant ice walls, what do you still find to be very hard to wrap your head around?

Two generals making straight for each other, with the intention of slaying the other is not particularly unusual. Richard III tried a charge right at Henry VII's bodyguards at Bosworth and Alexander the Great is usually depicted, at least, as having come close to meeting Darius III in combat before he (Darius) fled. Single combat between opposing champions for two armies is not very unusual either, I seem to remember this activity is reported before the Battle of Dara for example (in Procopius' history of Justinian's reign). R & R obviously didn't plan on single combat prior to the battle but at some time during it they came into close contact. They would both have been wearing heavy plate armour and so arrows and other weapons would have been largely ineffective if they were only used to strike glancing blows, they needed to be fully engaged in combat to be taken out. The scenario is rather dramatic and I can't recall any exact real world parallels but to say it doesn't make sense is a stretch.

Moreover, GrrM's world just is a bit more romanticized than ours too. Its praised for realistic fantasy, and it is, but its still fantasy.

[To Independent George]The young ages of the children have been discussed before on numerous threads. In general I think GrrM's ages are actually perfectly realistic for a world built on the European Middle Ages. I will allow that Bran is a bit too young but that's it as far as that criticism goes. I don't understand the need to make Robb or Jon 16-17? Why? Medieval children did sometimes do the things they do at those ages. Baldwin IV of Jerusalem was leading an army at 15 for example (William of Tyre).

[back to the OP] Beric is magic, if you allow someone to be resurrected why not multiple times?

Aegon could, as you say, be a fake, of which there were plenty in the real middle ages. Perkin Warbeck for example. Or he could have been replaced just before the lannisters sacked the city with a double Varys had in keeping for just such a contingency. What's silly about it? Note, the baby was so badly mangled when it was produced before Robert it would have been unrecognizable. Although I think Aegon is a fake.

Edited for spelling and general coherence.

I don't care if 16 makes you "a man grown," a seven year-old does not sit in for a lord.

In the books does Bran really make any decisions though? Isn't he just produced, as the Stark in Winterfell, while Rodrik and Luwin run the North. He's not really filling in, other than symbolically and he was probably eight at that time.

I'm puzzled about the supposed power of "King's blood" and Melisandre's use of it. Did her leech burning actually do anything or not?

And that shawdow baby! Why not do that again and again and again till all the enemies of the throne are dead?

I actually find Theon's taking of Winterfell somewhat implausible. The North is about eight or more times the size of Britain and he tramps through half of this distance, with only 100 or so men (was that the figure) by dint of a diversion another hundred miles or so away and he is never discovered until he sneaks up on Winterfell. I think GrrM often 'forgets' how large Westeros is. You would think Winterfell was sitting on the frontier or something.

I'm puzzled about the supposed power of "King's blood" and Melisandre's use of it. Did her leech burning actually do anything or not?

And that shawdow baby! Why not do that again and again and again till all the enemies of the throne are dead?

It's not stated explicitly, but I'm 99% sure the leech burning was smoke and mirrors. Mel saw the deaths of the three kings in the flames, and conducted an elaborate ritual to convince everyone that she caused it.

Melisandre tells Davos that the shadow baby is gradually sapping Stannis of his life, and she dares not use it again. The spell evidently requires a man of some power to cast it, so she can't just use some random schlubs to power an army of shadow babies. Thus, her attempted seduction of Jon (and possibly Mance).

It seems like there are questions on how the priests and priestesses of R'hllor have such powerful abilities (for the record Beric isn't magic, Thoros is). I wonder that too. But it isn't really something that doesn't make sense, just something that hasn't been, and may not ever be, explained.

It seems like there are questions on how the priests and priestesses of R'hllor have such powerful abilities (for the record Beric isn't magic, Thoros is). I wonder that too. But it isn't really something that doesn't make sense, just something that hasn't been, and may not ever be, explained.

It could be that the impending attack by the Others has allowed all these powers to return to the world. I commented on a different thread that the Starks may have always had the ability to warg, but it was just latent. Now, because of the Othes, that ability has been awakened.

In the books does Bran really make any decisions though? Isn't he just produced, as the Stark in Winterfell, while Rodrik and Luwin run the North. He's not really filling in, other than symbolically and he was probably eight at that time.

This is correct and Maester Luwin tells him he is not to speak unless he's spoken to.

“Will we talk of the war?”

“You will talk of naught.” The sharpness was back in Luwin’s voice. “You are still a child of eight . . .”

“Almost nine!”

“Eight,” the maester repeated firmly. “Speak nothing but courtesies unless Ser Rodrik or Lord Wyman puts you a question.”

It could be that the impending attack by the Others has allowed all these powers to return to the world. I commented on a different thread that the Starks may have always had the ability to warg, but it was just latent. Now, because of the Othes, that ability has been awakened.

It's possible, I thought I read somewhere that it was suspected that the maesters had a lot to do with the removal of dragons / magic from the lands but I could be wrong. It seems like the places where magic is returning are those where the maesters are not around (Beyond the Wall, Stannis, Beric, Essos, etc.)

Archived