Best Epilogue for tWow

The Elder brother on the quiet isle tells Brienne that the hound died, he does not say Sandor. He tells her this right before he tells her that he died during the war of 9 penny kings, and that he was reborn on the quite isle. Brienne see's a novice gravedigger on the island who is even larger than her, and is lame in the right leg, the same leg Sandor was wounded on. I would bet good money on my logic here.

he literally tells her the man she seeks Sandor is dead. While also telling her, that Sandor had Arya with him... Try rereading it...

One thing I am certain of, Sandor will never be the champion of any version of the Faith under the current High Septon. The High Septon's and Quiet Isle Brothers' versions of the Faith are so completely different that you can hardly believe they worship the same gods: if Sandor is with the Quiet Brothers to find *peace* of some kind, he will not find it with the Faith Militant.

If he still lives (and is the giant hooded lame gravedigger on the Quiet Isle), it will not be religion that brings him out of the Quiet Isle, but something else. It will be a fight, but one that *he* thinks is worth fighting for: of his choice, not anyone else's direction. "The Hound is dead" because Sandor is *done* with being a Hound - he is done with being "someone else's dog". He made that choice when he deserted at the Blackwater, and it is the kind of choice that takes a lot of coming to terms with.

(Although, interestingly enough, he might have had hopes of taking up service with Robb Stark - bringing Arya back to him. The Brotherhood Without Banners were under the opinion that Robb would not have him: but bringing Arya back of his own free will might have swayed Robb into offering him a job working for the Starks, as an alternative to safe conduct out of the land with a certain amount of ransom money (Robb of course would have paid up... with gold recently looted from the Lannister heartlands.) It seems Sandor *did* find the Wolves honourable enough to be "worthy" masters, and was only prevented by the Red Wedding... and, of course, he could have marched in and offered his services to the Freys and Boltons, but chose not to, and even killed a Frey to keep Arya safe.)

So... I think the only thing that could tempt Sandor out of retreat would be a chance to fight on behalf of someone innocent facing oppression or danger, *against* greater forces. The Faith Militant are more likely to be the oppressors than the oppressed under the circumstances - they're basically the Hezbollah of Westeros...

A pyromancer in King's Landing is rushing through tunnels. Above him he hears distant sounds of Aegon's Army breaking into the Red Keep. He remembers Cersei's dying orders to "Let him be king of the ashes". We then find out he is in the bottom levels of the Black Cells where he see's the horrors of Qyburn's work and we get an insight into how UnGregor was created. It ends with him coming into a huge room with tunnels on every side leading off in different directions. Its packed full with thousands of jars of wildfire.

A pyromancer in King's Landing is rushing through tunnels. Above him he hears distant sounds of Aegon's Army breaking into the Red Keep. He remembers Cersei's dying orders to "Let him be king of the ashes". We then find out he is in the bottom levels of the Black Cells where he see's the horrors of Qyburn's work and we get an insight into how UnGregor was created. It ends with him coming into a huge room with tunnels on every side leading off in different directions. Its packed full with thousands of jars of wildfire.

This would probably be an epic epilogue since it combines many parts of the storyline in King's Landing as well as introducing more of the Black Cells which I am very interested in, but Cersei's death in the sixth book is unlikely in my eyes as she is an important part of Jaime's story due to my belief in her and either Jaime or Tyrion being confronted with each other in Casterly Rock (which probably won't happen, because ... well, obviously nothing that I'd like to read will happen, 'cause it's still Martin). Despite that, I would really love this as an epilogue. Great idea!

Archived