SPOILERS Lysa Arryn, feel bad?

Pope Killdragon

Not for her, but for little Sweetrobin. I mean, I know Lysa Arryn was way to crazy and outspoken for Petyr to leave alive but I just feel really bad for Robert. He's already in terrible health, mentally, physically and emotionally and now his mother is dead and Petyr seems to care less for what Robert needs than for what he needs from Robert. I dunno, I didn't get much pleasure from her death as I know the majority of readers did.

Maybe this goes without saying, but I am beginning to wonder if Petyr kissed Sansa because he knew his sweet wifey was looking on. I admit, her death was humorous to me, but only in a shocked sort of way. I did not like her, but it's very easy to understand why Lysa becomes the way she by the time we meet her.

Sansa really grew on me in this book. She could have warped into a spiteful, bitter young girl, after being in Cersei's power for so long as well as marrying Tyrion, poor thing. As far as Robert is concerned, Petyr doesn't need to care for Robert. It seems in his eyes, that is something Sansa can do, and as we see in AFfC, she does a good enough job replacing Lysa, as a mother figure.

See says something at some point "The Maester seemed to be only concerned with Robert's health, me and Petyr(Father) have bigger plans."

This shocked me and I was very surprised Sansa would think something of this sort. It makes me fearful for Robert's future. I wouldn't put it past Petyr to kill him once he was no longer useful.

I'd seen the series before picking up the books, so I dunno... Robert Arryn comes across as a repulsive kid, but that's only because he had a loony mom.

Granted, Lysa had an awful end, but the reveals juxtaposed on that end are what made her demise spectacular.

Lysa threatening to push Sansa out of the door made me so uneasy that I was hoping Sansa would some way take control of the situation and take a revenge pushing her aunt in her stead, I was really hoping Lysa would pay for being so psychotic and hysterical. I was surprised when I thought Petyr would just hold Lysa to him and kiss her, as a way to calm her down, instead of defending Sansa, but then Petyr pushed Lysa. It took my breath away.. and I really liked it...sad, but I liked it.

From the story background we know, it sounds like Lysa was a sweet girl in her youth. But alas like so many women of that time, she became a pawn of her father's ambition.

After having such a crush on Petyr in her youth, a simpler time with her sister Cat, she was then forced to: abort a child, marry an old coot and move to the snake pit of KL. I would be a bit demented after all of tha too. It's no wonder she held poor little Robert - literally - to her breast for so long. Who else could she trust but her own child?

I pity her for what she endured but I do not pity her death. She had become a crazed, vindicative bitch who was ruining her own child's life because of her paranoia. Someone had to step in and spare that child. I realize that is not what motivated Petyr to push her out the moon door but the end result was the same.

I most definitely pity poor Robert. On the other hand, what quality of life is this stunted, weak, sickly creature going to have? I actually think drinking the curdled milk of such a demented woman contributed to poor Robert's state. I think sweetsleep is the best medicine for him. Let him eternally receive succor at his mother's breast.

seriously, something about the maester during their descent from the Eirye made me feel that they somehow cause this 'sickly' state that he's always in. maybe i'm paranoid, but read that part in the book and pay attention to the reactions and words of the maester. i'm probably crazy, but while reading ASOIF, we can't help but to think of the craziest shit hahaha

No I don't feel bad. Robert has been more than babied and protected his entire life, and he still has Sansa to continue what Lysa did for him. Sure it's partly because he is highborn, but he is also a pathetic child, as stated so many times. As for Lysa, that was one of the more satisfying (also funny) deaths in the series.

I'm sure that if Littlefinger's plan works (uneasy feeling about this one) then Robert will miraculously be disposed of after Sansa and Harry wed.

First off, Lysa would have been a complication that they couldn't afford to have. In order to keep Sansa's identity secret, and to keep her safe, there was no way that Lysa could stick around in the mental state that she was in. At some point in time the jealousy would have driven her to spill all of the secrets she knew, and it would have destroyed everything. Petyr is no fool, we all knew the moment he took Sansa that it would be for a particular reason, and that he had plans for her in the future.

However, let's be realistic here in regards to Robert Arryn (Sweetrobin), he's a sickly child who is also fairly insane. He has a bit of a handicap, and in the world he lives in he wouldn't survive anyway. The trick is keeping him alive long enough to accomplish plans, but even without assistance I think he would die prematurely. It's the nature of his condition, added with the reality of the world he's in the midst of. Sansa's doing a good job helping with all of the difficulties. However, I have a feeling that his death is being quickened a bit, but again... do I feel bad for him? No.

Here's why, again, look at the time they're living in. There's no place in the world for crazy, and sick people like them. For Robert it would just be almost torturous to force him to endure a life in his state. He would never make it, and it's setting him up for failure. He would turn out a lot like his mother when he realizes that he can't accomplish things as well other men around him. With his short temper, if he were older, I have a feeling it would be much more dangerous. For now, he's still like a child.... easier to deal with. Lysa? She would have driven herself completely mad at some point, worse than Aerys...

I think it's better off that she's dead. Now we just have to wait and see if/when Robert will die. I don't think anyone needs him, his temper, and his mental instability at an older age.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on the last Alayne chapter, I'm thinking that Robert Arryn is toast. However, I did feel sympathy for Robert, which is a testament to the writing because I did find him repulsive in previous chapters. I feel bad for him because he's a product of his environment and he's a pawn in the game with no idea what is going on around him and no chance of being a player.

Archived