Balon Swann & the Hunt for the Darkstar

Damar

can a Non-Dayne become the Sword Of The Morning? I know it's unlikley, but it would be extremely badass if Balon killed Darkstar in an epic chase/duel (perhaps a Darkstar POV) and Claimed Dawn.

Can't say for sure but if a non-Dayne can be sword of the morning I think Ned would have fit the bill.

I think Darkstar indeed could have been the one who betrayed Arianne and told Doran about her plans. I don't think Darkstar was ordered to hurt Myrcella, Darkstar is a dangerous man who probably wanted things to escalate faster, thus he hurt Myrcella to force Doran into a corner. He like everyone else in Dorne seem to be tired of Doran's passivity and probably doesn't know about the Targaryen plot. I do think Balon Swann is lured into a trap. Darkstar might have been given a second chance to do what he does best, i.e. kill.

I can only really see one outcome for Swann & its death. Weather by Obara or Darkstar, who knows. We will probably only hear about it, as ther are no POV'S around that story. I dont believe Dorne will declare for Aegon untill thay hear news of Daenerys... Doran is to shrewd a man to blindly accept this phatom Dragon. Thats why he has sent Arianne to veiw him & judge if he really is who he says he is. He wont be, Blackfyre Pretender written all over him. But we'll have to wait till he comes face to face with Daenerys dragons before we find out.

Yeah, but Arianne might declare for Aegon without her father's consent, because she fear Quentyn and his Dragon Queen, and decides to become a queen herself. I don't think Doran will survive the news of Quentyn's death. But now this is getting off topic.

Not a fan of Darkstar at all. Isn't Darkstar a euphemism for... well... an asshole? Most aptly named character ever.

Thats good stuff right there.....and I think you may be spot on.

Why would Darkstar possibly work for Doran? That whole Myrcella incident caused major problems for him (if Darkstar had succeeded, Myrcella would be dead, which would inevitably had led to war), and Doran did not want all of that to happen. He had no reason to harm Myrcella. In fact, if the Quentyn-Dany-plot had worked, Myrcella would have been an excellent hostage to force King Tommen to surrender to Queen Daenerys and her dragons.

Darkstar almost successfully forced Dorne into a war Prince Doran does not want to fight. At least not at this point, and most certainly not over the corpse of Myrcella.

If Darkstar truly is this 'most dangerous man in Dorne' he is supposed to be, we have to assume that he is on somebody's payroll. Doing what he did all by himself makes him a clumsy and stupid type of guy. Yeah, he might have succeeded in forcing Doran's hand had he killed Myrcella, but what he exactly could he hope to gain from that? Hotah and Arianne knew what he did, and they and Prince Doran still would have had time and resources enough to deal with him, even if they can't prevent the Iron Throne from declaring war on Dorne.

The only assumption that makes some sense is that Gerold Dayne is working for someone who wants to cause trouble between the Iron Throne and Dorne. And at that particular time Varys and Illyrio would make the most sense. They did not know that Doran sent Quentyn to Daenerys. While Arianne cooked up her little Myrcella scheme Illyrio and Varys were sending Tyrion, Aegon, and Jon Connington to Volantis to team up with Daenerys. If they need to convince Dorne to enter the war things would take even longer. Everything would go much more smoothly if Dorne and the Iron Throne were already declared enemies when Aegon, Dany, and the Golden Company would prepare themselves to invade Westeros. That way, Aegon and Dany would come to support the Martells, which would not enable Sunspear to demand anything from the future Targaryen king.

The way things turned out, Aegon and Connington are now forced to give Dorne everything the Martells want in exchange for their help.

I agree that Darkstar is not a catspaw of Doran's....but I'm not sure who is pulling his strings. At first I felt that he had too big of an ego and may not be high born at all, but rather a "pretender".....however, he has purple eyes, and typically when GRRM gives descriptions that make a person unique, they tent to be just that.

Can't say for sure but if a non-Dayne can be sword of the morning I think Ned would have fit the bill.

If any non-Dayne wielded Dawn, I would want it to be Quorin Halfhand (before he died obviously, not unQuorin). He had the skill and experience to wield it, and given that he was the best individual in The Watch, he is "The Sword In The Darkness" (part of the oath). That would be amazing, if Dawn was lightbringer and Quorin was AA. i know its not possible, but I can dream..

I can only really see one outcome for Swann & its death. Weather by Obara or Darkstar, who knows. We will probably only hear about it, as ther are no POV'S around that story. I dont believe Dorne will declare for Aegon untill thay hear news of Daenerys... Doran is to shrewd a man to blindly accept this phatom Dragon. Thats why he has sent Arianne to veiw him & judge if he really is who he says he is. He wont be, Blackfyre Pretender written all over him. But we'll have to wait till he comes face to face with Daenerys dragons before we find out.

I believe you are mistaken, Areo Hotah is going with Obara so we may have been given his POV just for this event. If you think about it Arrianne could have given us anything Areo has given us so far.

I believe you are mistaken, Areo Hotah is going with Obara so we may have been given his POV just for this event. If you think about it Arrianne could have given us anything Areo has given us so far.

I suspect that sending Areo too might have been an after thought.

I hope that this side plot has relevance to one of the major plotlines in the next book, otherwise it could have been handled off page.

I suspect that sending Areo too might have been an after thought.

I hope that this side plot has relevance to one of the major plotlines in the next book, otherwise it could have been handled off page.

I think it has to, I mean he's looking at writing 1500 pages for the next book alone if he didn't have to give us a POV to see it I don't think he would.

Archived