Who is the Hooded Man in Winterfell?

andrewside

I've always thought the culprit was one of Manderly's more sneaky underlings.

Howland Reed ? That would indeed be funny. More likely than the Blackfish theories, I think.

Another possibility: Are we 100% sure there are no Hornwoods left alive (even bastards) ? No relatives lurking in the ranks, wanting revenge against the man who made a certain someone eat her own fingers off ?

I have not, but I have heard it is good. Is that an important plot point?

Kinda yeah, I spoiled it for you. Sorry! I thought you have watched it but forgot about it, as it's from 90s . And it's the best movie I have ever watched. Surprising you haven't watched it. Though I can bet you will still enjoy it.

Kinda yeah, I spoiled it for you. Sorry! I thought you have watched it but forgot about it, as it's from 90s . And it's the best movie I have ever watched. Surprising you haven't watched it. Though I can bet you will still enjoy it.

Not really your fault, so it's okay. It'd be nice to have a name for the theory that is both clear and not a spoiler for other media, but alas. The danger of living in a highly pop-cultural society.

Not really your fault, so it's okay. It'd be nice to have a name for the theory that is both clear and not a spoiler for other media, but alas. The danger of living in a highly pop-cultural society.

I didnt watch Fight Club until very recentlly (and Blade Runner is on the DVR!!) and this plot point COMPLETELY threw me. Of course I dont talk about movies I havent seen (because of things like Blade Runner is on the DVR)

To repeat an observation that I made in another HM thread, it seems to me that the HM is a real person

and not some projected fantasy of Theon. More than that, it seems that the HM is connected to Lord Manderly.

Shortly after he meets the HM, Theon is called to meet with Roose Bolton and his supporting Lords as a suspect in the recent murders. Missing from the gathering is Lord Manderly. One of the Lords mentions that Manderly takes frequent hour long privy breaks--his absence seems to be due to one of those breaks (even if the rest are taking advantage of his privy break to meet without him). That would seem to suggest that the HM was on his way to meet with Manderly during a planned potty session. This would the support the notion that the HM was Davos, Robert Glover or another of Manderly's co-conspirators (which could include folks from Greywater Watch).

• 5 weeks later...

Excuse me if I am duplicating old ideas but this is my first post and I have not found anyone discuss this particular aspect of the hooded man:

Why is Theon not afraid of the hooded man? "Oddly he was not afraid"

Why does he show him his hand rather than just tell him? - we know previously he has not wanted to show people his deformity.

I think that this points to someone who is known (and feared/previously feared), with a deformity themselves.

I also think because they say kinslayer that they are a Southron, since people from the North would not count Theon alongside Stark children.

I can think of 3 candidates that are Southron and deformed, two with deformed hands, two with an interest in finding Arya Stark.

Davos

Jaime

Sandor

But not sure how the timelines would work.

If you look at the chapter names Theon is struggling with identity. He as Reek cannot take action, but as someone else he can. Consiously he cannot act out of fear, which is why he blacks out when the killings occur. The Hooded Man is his psyche conflicting with himself. He is calling himself a coward due to his decisions, and lack of action. It is the tipping point for him being able to remember his name.

I might not love the Theon Durden theory, but it makes the most sense.

Excuse me if I am duplicating old ideas but this is my first post and I have not found anyone discuss this particular aspect of the hooded man:

Why is Theon not afraid of the hooded man? "Oddly he was not afraid"

Why does he show him his hand rather than just tell him? - we know previously he has not wanted to show people his deformity.

I think that this points to someone who is known (and feared/previously feared), with a deformity themselves.

I also think because they say kinslayer that they are a Southron, since people from the North would not count Theon alongside Stark children.

I can think of 3 candidates that are Southron and deformed, two with deformed hands, two with an interest in finding Arya Stark.

Davos

Jaime

Sandor

But not sure how the timelines would work.

Hi, welcome.

I don't think it's the HM as an individual that Theon is not afraid of. In that moment he's considering the possibility that the man will kill him - so it's death itself that Theon is oddly unafraid of.

Lots of people question why Theon chose to show his deformity to just this man, but personally don't think he did much. It's outside at night, even after stripping the glove off all Theon was showing him was the profile of a hand.

I always thought that it could have been Hallis Mollen. He would have had enough time to reach Winterfell certainly and after getting word about the state of things, he would definately want to keep his presence there and his mission a secret. His being a minor character though, does tend to discount him as a possibility.

Archived