Who is the Hooded Man in Winterfell?

andrewside

Logically I think Harwin is the most likely candidate after Theon Durden.

To be able to walk around Winterfell as if you belong it would make sense the hooded man is A) a Northerner himself. B) Is originally from, or has spent time at Winterfell.

Also as you point out Harwin could be acting on behalf of the BwB to identify and help Arya, or could possibly just be acting as a rogue Stark loyalist.

I think they know its not Arya. She was with the brotherhood at one point.

I had always thought it was Osha before reading this thread.

I know Osha is believed to be in Skagos with Rickon but I had always thought that maybe she went back to WF while leaving Rickon safe in Skagos.

I highly doubt it can be Howland Reed. Jojen mentions in one of his stories about the moving castle/village in the Marsh and how the Lord of the Crannogs needs to be there at all times to move the castle/village.

IMO I dont think we will ever meet nor see Howland Reed.Unless of course the Crannog Marshes are over run by Wights.

Harwin now seems the most likely suspect .

When i was reading the book i didn't think much of the Hooded Man but now i like split-personality-Theon theory. The only part that doesn't fit is that the HM calls him "kinslayer" but that can be explained as Theon feeling responsible for Robb's downfall because he took Winterfell.

If the HM is either a Stark Loyalist or a member of BWB, why is Theon still alive? Wouldn't he be the first target either by a northman loyal to stark (they really hate him) or from a member of BWB (he must be very high in Lady Stoneheart's hate list)? There would be many opportunities to kill Theon since he sometimes wanders alone in the castle, as we see from his POV or alternatively the HM could just stabbed him when they met.

I know that it has been said that Theon was too young to have fathered the miller's children or one of them, but if he did, that would make sense of the "kinslayer" accusation... and not even Theon would know that he had a child, so this cloaked man, if this fits at all, would have to be some "supernatural" creature, or ghost to know something like that... and who do we know that knows and sees everything with a thousand eyes and one?

Yes, I know its crack pot.

I still think its Raynald Westerling. He has the time to heal. His last known location was just below the neck. He is thought dead. He was loyal to Robb, even going so far as getting shot releasing Grey wind. He doesn't know Theon, Bran or Rickon, but is trying to get revenge against those who killed Robb. He's also unaccounted for.

• 3 weeks later...

How can 4 or 5 small paragraphs vex me so much? Read, re-read, and this whole "hooded man" mystery just drives me nuts. I overlooked the whole thing the first time I read DwD, and didn't really notice it again until I started seeing posts on these forums.

The first thing that bothers me so much about it is the wording. "...he came upon a man striding in the opposite direction, a hooded cloak flapping behind him." It never actually says that his hood is up, or that his face is concealed. This is probably pretty nit-picky, but I can't get past it.

Next is the dialogue. Hooded man calls him kinslayer and turncloak, and Theon replies "I'm not. I never...I was ironborn." This is not something that Reek would dare speak aloud, out of fear of Ramsay. So what is it about the Hooded Man that makes him comfortable enough to say these things?

Then there is the fact that Theon wonders if this could be the killer, but at the same time he is oddly not afraid. This is the one thing that I think supports the "Theon Durden" theory, even though that is not a theory I personally put alot of stock in.

Bottom line, I guess, is that it bothers me so much because I don't have a theory. It's such a small part of such a large book, and an enormous series. It must be someone of some importance, or I don't think it would be there at all.

• 1 month later...

So, I had a totally random thought. Could the Hooded Man be Harwin? I hope I did not get Hullen and Harwin mixed up. Ha-ha someone mentioned this up thread and I missed it. Sorry!

We know that Tom is in Riverrun. Could have Lady Stoneheart dispatched other members of the Brotherhood to old family strongholds?

Would have Theon recognized Harwin on sight or would have he though of Harwin as another ghost that is why he felt no shame in showing his deformity?

I like the hooded man to be Harwin or Holand, both them a logical choice.

One question though doe we know that the Hooded Man is a man.

It could also be Maege Mormont.

Interesting thought. We don't know what Maege really looks like. My perception of her is clouded by her TV representation that made her look matronly.

She could be tall and lithe in the book. Her oldest daughter Dacey sounded rather willowy to me.

Farther on, he came upon a man striding in the opposite direction, a hooded cloak flapping behind him. When they found themselves face-to-face their eyes met briefly. The man put a hand on his dagger. “Theon Turncloak. Theon Kinslayer.”

“I’m not. I never … I was ironborn.”

“False is all you were. How is it you still breathe?”

“The gods are not done with me,” Theon answered, wondering if this could be the killer, the night walker who had stuffed Yellow Dick’s cock into his mouth and pushed Roger Ryswell’s groom off the battlements. Oddly, he was not afraid. He pulled the glove from his left hand. “Lord Ramsay is not done with me.”

The man looked, and laughed. “I leave you to him, then.”

That he's a man is about the only real description we get. And that he has both eyes and talks the common tongue.

Interesting thought. We don't know what Maege really looks like. My perception of her is clouded by her TV representation that made her look matronly.

She could be tall and lithe in the book. Her oldest daughter Dacey sounded rather willowy to me.

She's described as stout and grey haired.

The daughter was tall and lean, the mother short and stout, but they dressed alike in mail and leather, with the black bear of House Mormont on shield and surcoat.

The Liddle that helped Bran and co on their way to the Wall? :dunno: He really seems to know much and more in both instances (in talking with both Bran and Theon) so maybe he's being used by the 3EC for some purpose? When he helped Bran with food he also gave them vital news which, IIRC, helped convince Bran to stay off the King's Road which was an issue he had with Jojen... would Bran decide otherwise if he didn't turn up?

As for his purpose in Winterfell - creating chaos? :devil:

Blackfish seems right and wrong for this at the same time. On the one hand, leaving one fallen castle only to show up at another doesn't strike me as military genius. On the other hand, if he's really been reduced to just an army of one, himself, then his best remaining move might well be to infiltrate the hornet's nest (Winterfell) and try to sow dissention among the enemy. But weren't the murders already being done for that purpose by Mance's group? So that leaves the Hoody with what as his reason for being there? Spying on Winterfell to suss out how legitimate the Bolton claim was? Verifying that Arya wasn't really Arya and therefore needed no Hoody-rescue?

Eh.

I definitely don't think Harwin or Hal Mollen, as Theon would have recognized either of them. I think Robett Glover is a likely chance, as the only person the HM is suspected to have killed is little Walder, meaning the HM has a problem with the Freys, pointing to Stark loyalist. The whole situation doesn`t seem likely Howland to me, and the man putting a hand on his dagger indicated he would like to kill Theon, but thinks he would suffer more at the hands of Ramsay. Didn`t lord Hornwood have a bastard fostering at Deepwood Motte

Archived